T Nation

Quad Tendon Tear - How to Train?

So i completely ripped off my quadriceps tendon yesterday…needless to say wasnt the best experience!

Anyway well im injured i dont want to be a couch potato but instead i would like to add some serious mass to my upper body and perhaps calves if the injury permits it, which im dubious about.

Could anyone give me any advice on how to structure a split bearing in mind i can only train upper body so i could easily hit my back twice a week etc…?!

Any advice is apreciated whether about training or advice on how to get through the injury, thanks alot and i hope for some good advice!

Sorry about the injury, how’d ya do it. This is something ya may be able to try.

Back Thickness
Chest
Off
Back Width
Shoulders/Calves
Arms

Did it playing rugby…absolutly gutted but thats the nature of the game i gues!!

Problem is im not good at trying to be sedentary…ha! like since i’ve done it ive been having like urges to start doing sprint training…feel like a pregnant women craving exercise…its mad! Note why im looking for any advice…cheers for the split though fella!

AS much as it really blows, and I feel for ya, with something that serious I’d save my recovery ability for that exclusively until it was well under control or you may wind up down months longer than necessary.

[quote]-ironman- wrote:
So i completely ripped off my quadriceps tendon yesterday…needless to say wasnt the best experience!

Anyway well im injured i dont want to be a couch potato but instead i would like to add some serious mass to my upper body and perhaps calves if the injury permits it, which im dubious about.

Could anyone give me any advice on how to structure a split bearing in mind i can only train upper body so i could easily hit my back twice a week etc…?!

Any advice is apreciated whether about training or advice on how to get through the injury, thanks alot and i hope for some good advice![/quote]

I did this back in April, and it fucks up your workouts pretty bad. Your leg will be 95% straight while wearing a brace. I worked out at home, and I had to just experiment to find out what I could do and couldn’t.

Was it a complete tear?

When I was coming back from knee surgery I just hammered the upper body like this:

Mon - Back/Biceps
Tue - Chest/Shoulder/Tricep
Wed - Off
Thu - Back/Biceps
Fri - Off
Sat - Chest/Shoulder/Tricep
Sun - Off

The problem your going to have is if your moving any kind of weight you need your legs to steady yourself and get tight. I used mostly machines during my recovery.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
AS much as it really blows, and I feel for ya, with something that serious I’d save my recovery ability for that exclusively until it was well under control or you may wind up down months longer than necessary.
[/quote]

I know this is good advice and all but if i dont do something i will go mad.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

I did this back in April, and it fucks up your workouts pretty bad. Your leg will be 95% straight while wearing a brace. I worked out at home, and I had to just experiment to find out what I could do and couldn’t.

Was it a complete tear?

[/quote]

Yeah i got it wired back on now though! Fortunately i have a setup at home which i can use so its fairly adaptable.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
When I was coming back from knee surgery I just hammered the upper body like this:

Mon - Back/Biceps
Tue - Chest/Shoulder/Tricep
Wed - Off
Thu - Back/Biceps
Fri - Off
Sat - Chest/Shoulder/Tricep
Sun - Off

The problem your going to have is if your moving any kind of weight you need your legs to steady yourself and get tight. I used mostly machines during my recovery.[/quote]

I’m actually going to give this a shot with what i can do…most likely will have to be alot of seated work such as seated military press etc…but im confident i can do enough to benefit and also help keep my sanity! ha!

Ironman, I feel you brother! I had the same injury in 2005. Three surgeries later I ended up with stage 3 - 4 arthritis of the patella as a result. Not trying to pain a bad picture about your result here but my point is your main objective is to get that knee in back in shape (and yes keep the upper body from going to crap a good idea too).

Some suggestions:

1. Follow your physical therapy instructions TO THE LETTER. Range of motion will be your first goal in PT. Do the exercises at home.

2. It will be a LONG road back. Typically it will take about 6 - 12 months to get back. Be patient and don’t push it. You have one good shot here to “get it right.”

3. Take a good supplement for cartilage/connective tissue support. Also, you are healing so keep the nutritional support at optimal conditions.

4. Your strength will come back at its own pace. Pain is a inhibitor of muscle growth so it will take a while before you restore proper balance in your bad leg. Did I mention patience?

You appear to be a young guy so you should have a speedy recovery.

I torn mine on dec 22. Had surgery to re connect. Now I am in a cast. I took a little break from training to let other minor injuries heal. At home I use dumbells and a bench.

Ironman how is your injury healing?