T Nation

Quad Pain During Squatting

So for the last three weeks i’ve been working my legs extremely hard. Been doing squats 3 times a week with a 5x5 workout, as well as dead lifts on one of those days and the last three workouts my quads have been hurting after 1-2 sets and generally a specific rep will trigger it and it gets worse if I push through the pain. It feels like somebody punched me directly in the quad as hard as they can repeatedly and usually progresses for the entire day. I’m assuming it just means i’ve been over training my legs and I was thinking about just deloading for a week and taking a break. Has anybody else ever had this problem or know if it could be something different than over training.

Try backing off your training load. That’s a lot of squats in one week. Try doing them once (max twice) per week, if the pain continues, post again.

Overtraining is a systemic issue with symptoms like wild mood swings, irritability, inability to sleep, fatigue, and a soul-crushing lack of willingness to do anything except cry and eat ice cream.

What you’re describing is a pain in the quad, it seems. The two should not be confused.

Seeing as how scores of others have tolerated the same volume of exercise without ill-effect, I’m going to say that it’s probably less the volume and intensity of the exercise you’re doing, and more the way you’re doing it. What’s your squat look like? And since it’s difficult to diagnose a bad squat, I’d advise you check out Dave Tate’s old article ‘Squatting from Head to Toe’, and seeing if the cues you use to squat match up with what he advises.

Other than that, I mean… did you get hit in the quad or something? I mean, it’s obvious, but sometimes you really did get hit by that vexatious bitch from accounting and you just didn’t remember it because you didn’t think fat chicks could hit hard. Maybe they can. I don’t know.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Overtraining is a systemic issue with symptoms like wild mood swings, irritability, inability to sleep, fatigue, and a soul-crushing lack of willingness to do anything except cry and eat ice cream.

[/quote]

I’ve been there. It ain’t pretty.