T Nation

Quad Dominance Is Posture Problem?

Hi,

I recently found out, that I am Quad dominant. It seems that this is due to a problem with my posture (not activating the glutes). Can anyone point me towards articles or something else where I can find help to solve this problem?

Thanks

Try wide box squats and reading the Third World Squat. Use the search box.

Check out this great article by Brijesh Patel about getting your glutes to fire properly: http://www.michaelboyle.biz/joomla/content/view/66/34/

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Try wide box squats and reading the Third World Squat. Use the search box.[/quote]

Check this out www.higher-faster-sports.com/SquatsandSpeed.html

there you’ll see that this isn’t all about squat variations. no offense, just saying. your advice would probably fit 80% of the people.

[quote]AlexM wrote:
Check out this great article by Brijesh Patel about getting your glutes to fire properly: http://www.michaelboyle.biz/joomla/content/view/66/34/ [/quote]

Yeah I like that. Really good advice and very good static stretches. Thanks for the good find.

Hi, my name is Ryan and I’m quad dominant.

Hi Ryan! So tell us more about you problem. I’m sure we all want to hear about your personal story.

I really hope you have huge fuckin’ quads or else this just seems stupid

LOL @ ^

I’ve had this problem twice before, I just keep forgetting to make up for the dominance.

Tips (from my personal experience):

• Incorporate lots of Glute Ham Raises (make sure form is perfect).
  • Get Magnificent Mobility and Use it!
  • 3rd World Squat is a good article.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
LOL @ ^

I’ve had this problem twice before, I just keep forgetting to make up for the dominance.

Tips (from my personal experience):

• Incorporate lots of Glute Ham Raises (make sure form is perfect).

• Get Magnificent Mobility and Use it!

• 3rd World Squat is a good article.[/quote]

I almost always laugh when I see this quad dominance my glutes aren’t firing right stuff and so on. that I’m Ryan and I’m quad dominant was priceless!

not that this stuff doesn’t happen, but it’s not like I’m Ryan and I’m an alcoholic, or I’m Ryan and I’m a bedwetter.

Get Magnificent mobility. I did a lot of static stretching when I started 30 4years ago that still helps me even though I don’t stretch much anymore.

Balance your training in front to back ways. Do squats, lunges, and other exercises deep enough. Hit those hammies. And don’t be afraid of gettign big and strong.

“Unless your shit is hanging over your knee, you’re not quad dominant. You just need to get fucking stronger.”
-Jim Wendler

“It’s all about the Posterior Chain”

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
“Unless your shit is hanging over your knee, you’re not quad dominant. You just need to get fucking stronger.”
-Jim Wendler[/quote]

Hahahaha!, pretty true. Most people just love having these various labels.

I think it’s generally more of an “inconvenience” than a serious problem. Not that you shouldn’t stive for balance (which will be determined of course by the activities in which you participate), but it’s like not being flexible enough. Well, just fix it. No big deal.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
I think it’s generally more of an “inconvenience” than a serious problem. Not that you shouldn’t stive for balance (which will be determined of course by the activities in which you participate), but it’s like not being flexible enough. Well, just fix it. No big deal.[/quote]

Exactly, I spent a lot of time on flexibility years ago and it’s still benefitting me

I think the problem isn’t “quad dominance” per se… More like dormant glutes. It’s something I struggled with too and sorting it out made the world of difference. It really helped get rid of any back pain that I might have had.

Well, I didn’t mean “go work on flexibility,” just that it was like a flexibility issue in that, it can be a problem, but if you know about it, it’s simple to fix.