Quad Conditioning?

you’re conflating issues dude. re-read what you said and forget about it.

just a dumb argument on the internet… NO ONE WINS

x

ok sorry, i want to leave this because your acting a little more civil and less of a condescending fuckwit, but … i can’t leave this… hehe,

muscles are an organ, but you said ALL ORGANS can be condtioned via impact, even AFTER i had clearly made the distinction about conditioning of bone tissue via mineralisation (prompting you to go into some weird tirade about what a brainless keyboard warrior i am who lives in my mum’s basement and would be laughed out of any gym, or whatever weirdness you decided to go on for no reason)…

ALL ORGANS CANNOT BE CONDITIONINED/HARDENED VIA IMPACT. Especially not your brain dude, ESPECIALLY not your heart.

Also, omg, just read what you are saying! You can totally condition your “heart” and or cardiovascular system - BUT YOU CANNOT DO THIS VIA IMPACT - The only tissue that you can condition this way is BONE TISSUE. So stop jumping all over the place JUST for the purposes of winning an argument and stick to the topic at hand. And sorry, your kidney/liver etc DOES NOT ADAPT TO TAKING A PUNCH. Negro please, there is NO MECHANISM by which this happens.

Also, as far as the meninges, or whatever, is concerned, could you link me to any articles on this? I would seriously like to know :slight_smile: (of course this is NOT the same as conditioning the brain via impact, but still, geniunely curious abot this)…

Aaaaand, it’s not 3 years of training playa, it’s 5-6 years (i’m only saying that cos i don’t count last year properly cos since May i was hospitalised and had to have chemotherapy and all sorts of bullshit, but i kept training throuhgout so i guess you can say i been at the muay thai game for 6 years)

And, you don’t need to compare dick sizes? Then WHY ARE YOU COMPARING DICK SIZES? You’re the one brinigng up what an accomplished fighter you are therefore i should shut the fuck up cos i have nowhere near the accomplishment of you and your AMAZING SPARRING SESSIONS, because obviously you know EXACTLY everything about my training history and the kind of sparring i’ve done, and yes its three fights in A class had, it’s a few more in C class and B class, but i don’t count those (don’t know how it works in Australia, but here C class you’re not allowed to use elbows or knees to the head and B class elbows are allowed but no knees to the head and A class is full Thai rules, so i only count those, otherwise my “amateur” record is clsoer to 11-13 fights (uncertain number cos there were also a few “inter-club” events i took part in where you’re fully padded up and there are no winners, u just go at it for fun lol, so no i don’t count those)

Also - religious terminology? what religious terminology? Also, a subject i know jack about? Cleraly i know SOMETHING about the subject, thouugh not as much as Robert A, but cleraly more than you :slight_smile: Also also, yeah sorry about my “vicious” attack on you, but just re-read your arrogant condescending insulting reply to me to gauge why i would respond to you this way.

kthxbai!

You’ve had 3 amateur fights been training for 5 interupted years and just out of your teens and seriously have the hide to continue on?

Arrogant he says… condescending he says

God willing ay…

Apples…oranges…oranges…cucumbers…cucumbers…bread…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Apples…oranges…oranges…cucumbers…cucumbers…bread…[/quote]

So, you are hungry?

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
Yeah for the most part. What I don’t understand is how you know you’re going too hard. There have been a couple times where my legs have been hurt for more than a week from conditioning.[/quote]

If it is only “a couple times” out of what I presume is a regular schedule of sparring and conditioning you are almost certainly fine. Just don’t go courting the beat on your thighs till you cannot walk type of workout.

humble’s drill would have you gradually working up, so you would know to just go a bit lighter if you over reached.

Foam rolling/massage(if only the Thais would have thought of using massage methods in their training, oh wait…), stretching, and strengthening in a full ROM is a good regimen to make sure the message of the conditioning is “You will be able to take abuse AND inflict abuse on others, not take abuse and leave me injured.”

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

So, you are hungry?

[/quote]

lol…that’s what I’m getting out the “discussion” here. But yes…I am hungry…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

So, you are hungry?

[/quote]

lol…that’s what I’m getting out the “discussion” here. But yes…I am hungry…[/quote]

Ok, buy bag of Frozen skinless chicken breasts and some aluminum foil.

When you are hungry, but can’t leave the house/busy pre-heat the oven 10 degrees more than it says to on the bag and put the foil down on a cookie sheet. Sheet goes in the oven. When the oven is pre-heated put one or two of the frozen chicken breasts on the sheet(don’t thaw, that adds dishes and if we were going to go through the trouble of thawing we wouldn’t be doing this.) Leave them the fuck alone for about 40 - 60 minutes.

Now they should look almost “done”, but they are bubbling in a pool of juice/water. Put the broiler in the oven on. Walk away for 5 minutes. Whatever sides you can manage can be made now. Low carb - frozen green beans in the microwave. Don’t give a shit - corn in the microwave. Come back and pour some BBQ sauce over the chicken which is now a bit browned and dried on the surface. Wait 3 minutes. Flip em over. More sauce. Wait 3 and eat.

You should be eating within an 1 hour and 15 minutes from when you started to get hungry. You will have spent a total of 6 minutes actually cooking. It will taste passable/somewhat like real food. Clean up is the plate you put the chicken on to eat it, whatever you microwaved in, a knife and fork, and maybe a drinking glass. The foil from the oven is done. Let it cool and throw it out.

You mentioned you are a new dad. Something like this is very forgiving time wise.

As for the discussion, do you have 2 cents to throw in? I think this is in your wheelhouse, right?

Regards,

Robert A

sigh.

I think we got off on the wrong foot humble… It’s just, i was being polite and asking for scientifically verifiable data on ur claims and i EVEN put a “:)” smiley face in my post denoting my friendliness… and you reacted with “You’re full of it” and “I can tell the hardest you’ve ever been hit would be by a keyboard draw closing on your fingers,” and telling that i’m limited in my brain or something and that i should stick to hobbies such as “crochet” and “insect collecting”.

I mean, instead of respecting me on an intellectual level, you were plain rude and insulting.

I actually started typing out “hey man, i’ve been doing Muay Thai for years and know a lot about conditioning my shin and other body parts” etc. etc., and then i thought, 2why am i qualifying myself to this douche?" so I told you to go fuck yourself.

Which was, i can see now, taking the lower road, and perhaps I should not have reacted so emotionally.

Aaaanyway, as you can see that we have established a consensus on this issue. Or near enough. The only body part you can “condition” (which is starting to breakdown into a semantical discussion, but we all know what the OP means, i.e will repeated impact make said bodypart “harder”) are bones - which would include things like your knuckles/hands - This is why i will ALWAYS advise a young trainee to practice on the heavy bag bare-knuckle (with hand wraps of course), as this will make you less prone to hand injuries. However, i would certainly advice AGAINST training your thighs or other body-parts this way - CERTIAINLY NOT YOUR BRAIN GOD DAMMIT!

Robert A, who is CLEARLY a learned man has explained a mechanism by which thighs or any musculature, via neurological adaptation, can become better adapted at taking punishment - and in fact this does ring true because one of the best conditionig exercises for the abs is having my Kru throw/drop a medicine ball on my stomach, which is a great way to learn how to take a punch to the body. So i guess my own views on the subject have been expanded too.

But seriously dawg, some of the stuff you are saying, is CRAZY. You can’t “condition” your liver/kidney to take a punch by repeatedly hitting it! OMG!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!! YOU WILL GRADUALLY KILL YOURSELF. AND CERTAINLY DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR HEAD!! (Unless, of course you can show me studies on this menages thing you were talking about :wink:

Therefore, ultimately, i was right and you were wrong - NAH NAH! :stuck_out_tongue:

Heheh, anyway man, if you ever come to London, and are looking for a good place to train and a training/sparring partner, come down to KO Bethnal Green where i do my Muay Thai (probably the BEST Muay Thai place in the UK)

http://www.ko-muaythai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=1005

Or if you ever wanna “roll” - i’m starting BJJ/Wrestling for the firtst time ever at Diesel

It has a good Muay Thai instruction also, but i think KO is better, it’s where i learnt anywayw, so i’m only gonna do BJJ/Wrestling at Diesel (they’re BJJ team, “Checkmat” is apparently world renowned)

cheers dude!

I think you take things way too literally. By saying any organ in your body can be conditioned, it does not by default mean that go ahead and hit your head on banana trees to condition it. If I asked for a girls hand in marriage, it does not mean please cut off her hand and give it to me.

I wasn’t speaking metaphorically but I was speaking generally and yes, every living cell in your body is subject to an adaptation response. Hell, you bombard your bloodstream with too much sugar and your receptors become conditioned and refuse transporters, enzymes and glucose itself. You end up with diabetes and this is only biochemical adaptation and response.

Like I said, there is research proving people who have had repeated exposure to various types of physical impact have more ‘conditioned’ meninges, duramater thickening and thus a better cushioning of the brain coupled with the neurological adaptation, the muscular adaptation and so on to help a fighter get used to being punched in the face/head and not be so rattled. This isn’t so far fetched if you understand a little physiology and biochemistry. The duramatter extends through the whole spinal system too and fighters become much more conditioned throughout their whole spine, specifically the C-T region helping to reduce the neurological shock throught the cns that results in shut down.

My initial reaction was bollocks to the statement that thighs can’t be conditioned which is simply not true. I can get kicked a fair bit more than the average joe as you could probably do so yourself. If that’s not conditioning then what is it?

I didn’t like your obscenity bizzarly mixed with words like ‘Inshallah’ ie God willing which made me feel uncomfortable about you acting in that manner yet having Godly references at the same time, hence why I thought it a little hypocritical.

awww, ok then, i use inshallah with irony, just threw it in there for wotever reason. Sorry to offend!

hugz!

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

So, you are hungry?

[/quote]

lol…that’s what I’m getting out the “discussion” here. But yes…I am hungry…[/quote]

Ok, buy bag of Frozen skinless chicken breasts and some aluminum foil.

When you are hungry, but can’t leave the house/busy pre-heat the oven 10 degrees more than it says to on the bag and put the foil down on a cookie sheet. Sheet goes in the oven. When the oven is pre-heated put one or two of the frozen chicken breasts on the sheet(don’t thaw, that adds dishes and if we were going to go through the trouble of thawing we wouldn’t be doing this.) Leave them the fuck alone for about 40 - 60 minutes.

Now they should look almost “done”, but they are bubbling in a pool of juice/water. Put the broiler in the oven on. Walk away for 5 minutes. Whatever sides you can manage can be made now. Low carb - frozen green beans in the microwave. Don’t give a shit - corn in the microwave. Come back and pour some BBQ sauce over the chicken which is now a bit browned and dried on the surface. Wait 3 minutes. Flip em over. More sauce. Wait 3 and eat.

You should be eating within an 1 hour and 15 minutes from when you started to get hungry. You will have spent a total of 6 minutes actually cooking. It will taste passable/somewhat like real food. Clean up is the plate you put the chicken on to eat it, whatever you microwaved in, a knife and fork, and maybe a drinking glass. The foil from the oven is done. Let it cool and throw it out.

You mentioned you are a new dad. Something like this is very forgiving time wise.

As for the discussion, do you have 2 cents to throw in? I think this is in your wheelhouse, right?

Regards,

Robert A [/quote]

Hmmm…not gonna deviate from my already awesome culinary skills…lol. In all seriousness though…without wading through all the “apples,bananas,and cucumbers”…lol. I will just say that you can condition(somewhat physically…mostly mentally) to take leg kicks…is it good for your leg??? HELL NO. But it makes difference between giving in mentally and not toughing it out when it comes to an actual fight.

I mean…there’s not to say that you should be so confident in your “conditioned quads” that you don’t attempt to check kicks(or even lean into them). I think this is more applicable to the instances when your opponent gets off before you can do anything about the kick. BUT you should strive to get better at defending low kicks.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Hmmm…not gonna deviate from my already awesome culinary skills…lol.
[/quote]
Well, just trying to make somethin’ worth the price of admission. I like it because it is one of those recipes that tolerates getting sidetracked half a dozen time really well, but is faster than a crock pot.

[quote]
In all seriousness though…without wading through all the “apples,bananas,and cucumbers”…lol. I will just say that you can condition(somewhat physically…mostly mentally) to take leg kicks…is it good for your leg??? HELL NO. But it makes difference between giving in mentally and not toughing it out when it comes to an actual fight.

I mean…there’s not to say that you should be so confident in your “conditioned quads” that you don’t attempt to check kicks(or even lean into them). I think this is more applicable to the instances when your opponent gets off before you can do anything about the kick. BUT you should strive to get better at defending low kicks. [/quote]

Makes sense. My attempt on matching up the science with what I have seen and felt is that “conditioning” bone is a somewhat passive process. You impose the demand and as long as you don’t die before you recover you will rebuild stronger. There are plenty of reasons to make the lion’s share of this practicing an actual technique, but there are also plenty of success stories where other conditioning is used. An extreme example is that I could be tied down on a gurney and you could whack my shins with rubber hoses progressively harder/for longer time over weeks and I should get “harder” shins.

“Conditioning” muscle is going to be a learning process. All the gurney would do is hurt. The “conditioning” that is done traditionally seems to jibe with this. Taking kicks sparring, in a drill like humble described, or even standing in a set stance and having someone whack you with a length of bamboo all prompt you to “learn” to deal with impact.

Regards,

Robert A

Nah, everyone knows it’s only the ABS that respond to repeated blows to condition them, and it only works for the hard-core abs of boxers.

Everyone will tell you that a medicine ball applied with force repeatedly to the abs will condition your abs to take a blow. However, I see most people here jump on the idea that you can condition a quad in the same way.

Funny.

Anyway, you would probably be better off doing high rep squats, sprinting, and etc to “condition” the quads against blows, it is easier to take a blow to the quad when your quad is twice as big as it was, with very hard, tightly knit, high quality muscle. It can absorb more damage. Quad is a fairly big, resilient muscle group, there’s worse places to be hit.

[quote]IronClaws wrote:
Nah, everyone knows it’s only the ABS that respond to repeated blows to condition them, and it only works for the hard-core abs of boxers.

Everyone will tell you that a medicine ball applied with force repeatedly to the abs will condition your abs to take a blow. However, I see most people here jump on the idea that you can condition a quad in the same way.

Funny.

Anyway, you would probably be better off doing high rep squats, sprinting, and etc to “condition” the quads against blows, it is easier to take a blow to the quad when your quad is twice as big as it was, with very hard, tightly knit, high quality muscle. It can absorb more damage. Quad is a fairly big, resilient muscle group, there’s worse places to be hit.[/quote]
Shut up.

No.

Esp not because A poozer like you demands it.

[quote]IronClaws wrote:
No.

Esp not because A poozer like you demands it.[/quote]
You’re full of shit and don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not going to sit here and listen to some asshole that’s never trained or sparred telling people that you can’t condition the legs, acting like leg kicks do nothing and giving generally bad advice. Seriously, stfu.

[quote]IronClaws wrote:
…it is easier to take a blow to the quad when your quad is twice as big as it was, with very hard, tightly knit, high quality muscle. It can absorb more damage. Quad is a fairly big, resilient muscle group, there’s worse places to be hit.[/quote]

And you know this first-hand I assume?? Enough with the sarcasm though…outside the major nerves…hard,tightly knit muscle is what makes kicks to the quads more debilitating.

[quote]IronClaws wrote:
…it is easier to take a blow to the quad when your quad is twice as big as it was, with very hard, tightly knit, high quality muscle. It can absorb more damage. Quad is a fairly big, resilient muscle group, there’s worse places to be hit.[/quote]

LMFAAOOOO

By tightly knit muscle I don’t mean a necessarily tight muscle, what I mean is that the muscle fibers themselves are a good mix of fast/slow twitch, that it’s a high quality, tightly knit muscle opposed to some ballooned out body-builder style muscle.

Having muscle on the quad will help you take a blow to the leg the same way having good built up abs will help you take a blow to the mid-section, or how having a built up neck/traps probably helps in some way to dampen a blow to the head. (by preventing some of the rotational movement that causes your brain to flop around) although the neck one is debated by some people.

Having more muscle will make your quad more resilient to a blow, having built up abs will make you more resilient to a blow, anything that helps absorb damage.