Qs for Trump Supporters

Ehhh, Pennsylvanian’s, keep to your side of the Mason-Dixon line… :grumpycat:

1 Like

Sheesh, how much money do you guys think I make?

1 Like

I do. Just south of Basement Gainz. There is a well about a half mile from my house, and I live in an old coal patch. It is also within the watershed of a creek that I fish from.

Strip mining is not allowed in this region. Strictly underground.

I’m a fan of nuclear too. I worked on the fabrication of a few items for a plant somewhere in Europe, and wouldn’t mind more of that.[quote=“ActivitiesGuy, post:96, topic:225882”]
I’ve lived in the city proper (came for school, stayed for more school, stayed for work) but my wife and I will be navigating the where-to-buy-a-house decision in the next two or three years; I’ve heard the same about the difference in taxes. Tough decision for us because we genuinely like living in the city and both of us are particularly commute-averse…anyways, that’s a bit of a derail.
[/quote]

There are a lot of nice neighborhoods through Westmoreland too. A whole slew of people started relocating from Allegheny to all of the surrounding counties about 20 years ago. There was a new real estate tax or something, and people left in droves.

It’s a cool feeling to be on an ancient stream, deep in some gorge. You can see/feel the layers and years around you. I’d scare all the fish away, kicking over rocks looking for fossils.

2 Likes

Have you ever been to Ruby Falls?

I stopped there after the hundredth sign telling me to go, last time I was on my way to Alabama. Its absolutely amazing! I could have spent a week there.

Here is your game plan.
Buy a house that has either a basement or garage apartment.
Rent the house to cover note, keep the apt for your own workweek use.
Hire @SkyzykS to weld up your steel structure home in the country.
Slowly finish it by doing many of the non licensed trades yourself.
Move in at completion and lease the apt for additional cash stream.

1 Like

You may or may not know how accurate and common that really is.

What a whole lot of people do is buy a lot and a trailer (2x wide!) and build the house behind it.

There are a ton of options though. Cost of living in this region is still very comfortably low.

*edit- My best work has been done in aluminum though. I’m sure @ActivitiesGuy has seen some of it, and just may not have known.

I’ve never been, but I need to check it out.

Chattanooga is like going to the the BIG City, so I always end up doing down-town stuff.

Regarding mines:
A lot of coal country is extremely mountainous and rugged. In lots of places it takes almost a strip mine like amount of earth removal to put in a road or building. Reclaimed strip mines can be really useful, nice looking pieces of land if someone is around to make the mining company clean up after themselves.

Also, with no mines, there is nothing for all the environmental scientists to do.

Mine is not a joke post.
It is solid plan to create the elusive ‘wealth’ that grows by supplying capital instead of strictly labor.

Don’t tell @anon50325502. He will think my clamoring for livable wage is merely a talking point for argument’s sake…haha.

2 Likes

You mean making money work for you? Instead of trading your time for money until you die…Imagine that.

Off-topic, but you Western PA guys might like this:

My brother’s ex-gf was from rural Western PA, not far from Pittsburgh. Bale says the word “mom” at the end of this clip exactly like she did. Literally in exactly the same way. Same with “school,” “no” etc. Blew me away when I first saw it, to think that a – what is he, a Welshman? – can get a subtle rural American rustbelt accent this right.

Edit: shoulda started with yinz instead of “you Western PA guys.”

I love those. I always have to figure out which part of town they’re in. That Jack Reacher movie they did here was a good one. He made it from Squirrel Hill to Robinson Twp. then the south side in the blink of an eye! Bale did pretty good with the dialect. It sounds funny to other people, but easy to spot anywhere else you go.

Dennis Millers is still pretty strong. When he gets excited he slips into full yinzer.

Still completely unacceptable–this is SCIENCE and it was also by a publically funded GOVERNMENT admin.

I don’t care if social super PACs and such do shady things (actually thats not true I care very much, but it is politics and activism, not science). I care VERY much if a government agency does in ANY way shape or form. Most particularly a science administration.

Science should be inviolate. Although as I have said elsewhere it is anything but in that hot button arena.

1 Like

This should go both ways. Not just the science community but the ass hats working to undermine all of science’s efforts so they can eek out another 10 years of profit.

His response to Putin is off putting. His assessment of the USA is dead accurate. Haven’t you guys heard the story about Hilary asking why they couldn’t drone strike the wiki links guy? Her staff thought she was joking until she insisted.

The history of the CIA and NSA is why I would disband them both. They are evil as fuck.

I actually think the US should have a strong relationship with Russia and China. In a planet of mostly rational countries those 3 are complete ass holes.

Corruption, pollution, equal rights, wealth/wage inequality, health care, prison systems and even education.

Those 3 fail across the board.

And their failures are contagious. USA has destroyed Central and South America with their war on drugs. Middle East is proper fucked from oil wars waged by proxy between USA and Russia.

China is contagious in a more literal sense pumping out pollution like it is going out of style.

Without accurate self assessment how will anything ever get better.

In a way Trump is that all too accurate self assessment of what the USA has been for far too long.

1 Like

This is a mishmash of silly Lefty (and Trumpist: these adjectives are becoming increasingly interchangeable) memes, some of them rooted in misunderstood half-truth, some of them outright nonsense.

Let’s just deal with the central claim: “[Trump’s] assessment of the USA is dead accurate.” Remember what we are referring to here: Trump defended Putin from criticism with whataboutism, i.e., a moral equivalence that essentially amounts to a bizarre self-directed tu quoque. Let’s call it ego quoque. (It occurs to me that, depending upon the extent of his manifest disloyalty to the United States, Trump may not consider lies about America to be self-directed…but this is a question for the impeachment proceedings, should they be forthcoming.)

In order for Trump to be “dead accurate,” you must be able to cite a reasonably-recent example in which the American government – and preferably the POTUS – ordered and directed its agents to carry out the deliberate execution of a peaceful, noncombatant political dissident, this being very obviously the sort of thing to which O’Reilly was referring. Note that this formulation excludes the killing of anyone involved in an organization which conducts violence against American citizens and representatives (if Litvinenko or Politkovskaya had been obliterated in a tent wherein they were plotting to blow up Russian schools and military bases, e.g., their deaths would not have caused international outrage).

To be frank: if you can’t draw this specific parallel, Trump isn’t dead right.

1 Like

The wars in Iraq have killed over 100k civilians since 9-11. Recent enough?

The solution is so simple RENEWABLE ENERGY!! The truth is those in power in the USA are selling weapons to both sides and extracting oil so they make far too much money to stop with out being forced.

Is that morally compromised enough?

But no, a lot of the other current stuff can’t be proven. Looking back on the history of what the CIA/NSA have done and are doing you would have to stick your head very far into the sand to say that the US has moral high ground on anybody.

Let’s also not forget the USA is trying to be morally superior to RUSSIA! That alone should tell you every thing you need to know about the USAs moral code.

[quote=“BOTSLAYER, post:118, topic:225882, full:true”]
The wars in Iraq have killed over 100k civilians since 9-11. Recent enough?[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I thought: you have no example that would satisfy Trump’s horseshit Putinite moral equivalence. In fact, your case is so incredibly flimsy that you cited hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who were killed by other Iraqis in a jihadist insurgency & sectarian civil war (while, at the same time, Marines were marking the houses of civilians in Fallujah with spray paint cans in order to ensure that noncombatants would not come under NATO fire). The grotesquely bad judgment of the Bush Admin. is implicated in inciting this civil war with OIF, but not in a way that is within the same universe as Kremlin-ordered murder of peaceful political dissidents.

An ethics that deliberately fails to account for intent is a project of incoherent obfuscation – of propaganda, not analysis. Which is to say that there’s a real good reason that this Chomskyite shit always loses: it’s a lie, and a facile one at that.

No: the US is morally superior to Russia. The President just happens to be lying about this because he’s a disloyal piece of shit.

4 Likes

This is an absurd understanding of the energy market. Do you actually believe we could switch to 100% renewable energies right now?

1 Like

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/PET_MOVE_IMPCUS_A2_NUS_EP00_IM0_MBBL_M.htm

Percentage of oil Imports coming from Iraq:
Jun 2016: 4.3%
Jul 2016: 3.7%
Aug 2016: 4.7%

So on and so forth…

If it were that easy someone would be a freakin multi-billionaire from it already.

3 Likes