Qs for Trump Supporters

Here’s something for Trump voters who are allegedly against billionaires trying to control the government - well, it seems they have their own Soros.

It’s a fascinating article, well worth a read…

1 Like

Loppar…it’s always eye-opening to realize that many of us are just the proverbial “puppets on a String…”

“Grass-roots” movements my ass.

What’s even scarier is that actual “news”…real “pounding-the-pavement/researched/sourced-confirmed” journalism is becoming “FAKE NEWS!”…and actual “FAKE NEWS” is becoming “real” news.

Almost everyday…I will get a feed or text from someone prefaced with "SEE! I TOLD YOU! WHY isn’t/wasn’t this covered in the “MSLM???”

Well…because it’s FAKE…made up…not true…

It really is getting scary, folks.

All I can say is that you better be DAMN diligent about where you get most of your News.

1 Like

I have problem with this mostly:

[quote]
In 1983, 90% of US media was controlled by 50 companies; today, 90% is controlled by just 5 companies. [/quote]

Is there a breakdown for this stat? It looks super loaded to me.

It’s on Wikipedia

For me it comes down to this- Take a typical segment of 6 minutes. One minute to introduce the subject, a 30 second clip, 30 seconds to introduce the special guest, 3 minutes of Q&A with special guest, 45 second wrap up, 15 seconds to close it and go to commercial.

Cleave away all of the framing and narrative and you have a 30 second clip of what the director wanted you to see about a subject.

Same with that article above. 10,000 words to say that Trump used facebook for what facebook was designed to do.

Cleave away all of the juicy fatty parts and get right down to the viscera of a story. If there isn’t any viscera, there isn’t really a story.

I was hoping for a breakdown of the 1983 number. If 89% of the media was owned by the big 6 and the other 1% by the 44 remaining companies the stat still technically holds true.

Also I don’t have nearly as much of a problem with media ownership as most people. GoP spent a lot of time and money pushing the “free market” narrative. Bitching about who owns the media when it’s the direct result of a free market seems to up the hypocrisy level just a tad.

These are the same people that want to privatize half the federal govt.

Nor do I.

True, but one of the pitfalls of capitalism is the emergence of monopolies, which is not a good thing.

1 Like

Most monopolies Exist as a result of government interference and regulation.

1 Like

I don’t really have the energy today so lets just agree to disagree…

1 Like

This is beautiful BTW

Raj, you must realize that Trump did not run for President to help our country. He did it to somehow make more money down the road. He’s also a Putin loving racist and sexist. And he tweets too much and is sometimes orange with funny looking hair.

Ha, it only took us all two months to figure this guy out.

Next…

In an ancap world (which will never exist) monopolies couldn’t exist. Most of what makes monopolies are barriers to entry. Most barriers to entry are government.

In a free-ish market when monopolies consolidate and start raising prices and stop innovating that’s when competitors come in and take market share away. Think Netflix and Hulu vs cable companies. Even with all that government protection cable companies are slowly being forced to be competitive.

They would only exist if people were happy with that monopoly and no one could do it better

1 Like

Except that these same companies can undercut their competition when the need arises driving them out of business as well. I’m sure you’re aware of how economies of scale work. Wal-Mart didn’t destroy Mom & Pop America by being protected by government created barriers of entry.

3 Likes

This is more about a shift in consumer demand brought on by technological innovation than anything else.

1 Like

And now walmart is having the screws put to it by Amazon. Amazon is doing things better. Walmart will have to get better also or die. EVENTUALLY all monoplies will fall.

Except for utilities, because government and the nature of power lines lol.

Who made that innovation happen? Who fostered the market shift? They built that. Somewhat.