I don't think that all the bad press about trump is warrented, just most of it.
While I'm a limited govenment type and therefore must disagree with nearly all of his policies there's a side to Trump that most people pro and con are missing.
He is "Sun Tzu"-ing his way through politics in a way that defies all conventions. The man only fights where he is strong and doesn't bother to engage where he is weak.
Strong: Illegal immigration, endless mentions
Weak: tax returns, not a word.
If you go through some concepts of The Art of War and apply it to Trump it all comes into clear focus.
- Detail Assesment and Planning: he spent half of what hillary did on super targeted social media ads. They worked.
- Deciciveness and ending engagements quickly. Trump puts out a soundbite or ridiculous tweet then moves right the hell on. No equivocating, no arguing, just done.
- Attack, Strategy, Alliances, Army and Cities: He switched from Dem to Rep like 2 years ago. He was the first pres candidate to openly embrace gay marriage and deportation. He went after the blue wall and took it down. His entire platform is blended purple, he took ideas from everywhere with what seemes like no rhyme or reason... but he was collecting angry disaffected voters with each position. He could care less about the popular vote. He targeted vulnerable blue states and won them.
- Hold your positions and don't show weakness: Basically his whole persona. Everything is "terrific."
- Weaknesses and strengths: example above.
- Avoiding direct conflict: mean to the NYT on twitter and cordial and polite in person.
- Flexibility: Never commits to outcomes. Everything is negotiable with foreign leaders and trade deals (one china policy threat).
- Evaluating the intentions of others: he seems to have everyones motives down in his own mind at least. He publicly assigns motives to his opponents and forces them to defend themselves.
- Espionage: Emails, Russia (who knows)
While most people see an arrogant man with a chemical imbalance I see a guy skating circles around the establishment (politics, media, law). It's not about the constitution, it's not about truth, it's not even about Trump, it's about winning. I think he will accomplish a chunk of his agenda before they figure out this game.
I think he truly wants the US to win and cut better deals with the rest of the world. But his methods will annoy absolutely everyone, in every party. He doesn't care.