T Nation

QB Visual Reactive Linear Sprint Drills

figured i’d post this here too… some of you like the speed stuff.

over the next few weeks i’ll drop some of the other drills he does… and some new one’s he hasn’t done.

from a post on another forum:

this is an entire session with one of the people i train… a quarterback for st thomas aquinas (#1 in the nation babyyyyyyy)… he’s a sophomore and is backup to the starter…

he does all of his lifting now with them because it’s mandatory, so he comes in to do all types of crazy speed stuff…

the drills in the video get progressively more difficult…

the idea of the drills:

• react more explosively to a “threatening stimuli” : not really improve reaction time (because you really cant), but improve the amount of force applied in that time frame.
  • improve force absorption
  • improve first step
  • have him put his body in slightly “odd” scenarios which he must react from
  • make it unexpected and fun

check it out.

peace

Aquinas High School?

Not the one in South Carolina, Im assuming…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Aquinas High School?

Not the one in South Carolina, Im assuming…[/quote]

the one in fort lauderdale florida…

peace

[quote]adarqui wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Aquinas High School?

Not the one in South Carolina, Im assuming…

the one in fort lauderdale florida…

peace

[/quote]

There is a St. Thomas Aquinas near where I grew up and I was very sure that there were no training facilities like that anywhere in the area, haha.

Very cool stuff, thanks.

Side note:

Quick lunge mechanics look a bit off, no?

I really like the ideas behind the visual-reactive stuff. I think that’s really overlooked in football (and all sports). I wish my coaches had known about this kinda stuff before my senior year. :[

Edit: do you know what his ‘stats’ are: height, weight, 40 time, squat?

Cool drills :slight_smile:

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
Quick lunge mechanics look a bit off, no?[/quote]

I noticed this too. At that angle, it looked like there was a bit of knee valgus going on.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
Very cool stuff, thanks.

Side note:

Quick lunge mechanics look a bit off, no?[/quote]

thnx man

about quick lunge: well he’s pigeon toe’d so it makes it look a little odd… hehe…

peace

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
I really like the ideas behind the visual-reactive stuff. I think that’s really overlooked in football (and all sports). I wish my coaches had known about this kinda stuff before my senior year. :[

Edit: do you know what his ‘stats’ are: height, weight, 40 time, squat?[/quote]

thnx man

he’s 6’2

sparq laser times:

40 from 2 point: 4.9x
40 from 3 point: 5.0x

squat: 225x7 ~1" above parallel (edit: did that with his team)

peace

Not strongly impressed. I think I would focus on getting those legs stronger.

Tape speed seeems to be doctored at many points (slower and faster).

I didn’t see many false first steps which is positive.

Keep it up fells.

[quote]adarqui wrote:

peace[/quote]

This is in kilos, right?

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Keep it up fells. [/quote]

are you fucking retarded? i didnt doctor the speed of anything in that video… fuck off with that.

the only thing that’s altered is the few slow mo’s to show his transition from drill->sprint.

peace

[quote]blazindave wrote:
adarqui wrote:

peace

This is in kilos, right?[/quote]

no…

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:

Edit: do you know what his ‘stats’ are: height, weight, 40 time, squat?[/quote]

bull in the ring , i think thats what its called , you know were your team is in one big circle and you’er in the middle and then when they call a # they come and hit you or you hit them

[quote]adarqui wrote:
JGerman wrote:

Keep it up fells.

are you fucking retarded? i didnt doctor the speed of anything in that video… fuck off with that.

the only thing that’s altered is the few slow mo’s to show his transition from drill->sprint.

peace
[/quote]

First off, save your peace shit for someone else.

Secondly, if it was my client we would be working footwork, agility, speed, and strength. Maybe you fell ya’ll already have that down but 4.9 doesn’t sound like you do.

Forgive me if I don’t buy into the whole video with slow mo and music. Special effects in a video don’t mean shit on the field. This video does not translate to sport specific training to me (unless you are preparing for the OL to break down and the QB to be in a mid lunge into a sprint).

If you can’t handle criticism don’t post but I don’t blindly say that is cool to everything posted here. What good would that do any of us?

Good luck with your client and videos

[quote]JGerman wrote:
adarqui wrote:
JGerman wrote:

Keep it up fells.

peace

Secondly, if it was my client we would be working footwork, agility, speed, and strength. Maybe you fell ya’ll already have that down but 4.9 doesn’t sound like you do.

Forgive me if I don’t buy into the whole video with slow mo and music. Special effects in a video don’t mean shit on the field. This video does not translate to sport specific training to me (unless you are preparing for the OL to break down and the QB to be in a mid lunge into a sprint).

If you can’t handle criticism don’t post but I don’t blindly say that is cool to everything posted here. What good would that do any of us?

[/quote]

you’re slightly retarded and can/t read… in fact you probably won’t understand anything i type here.

he does lifting with his team, it’s mandatory, hence no lifting on our side, only speed work.

sure, a 4.9x laser 40 is not impressive for a sophomore h.s quarterback… it’s entirely pathetic isnt it? i never said it was “great”, it’s actually very decent though… and considering he dropped .5 off his 40 in less than a year we’re proud of him.

the slow mo in the vid is not a “special effect”… it’s there so people can see his transition from the drill to a sprint.

the drills are not meant to simulate exact game situations on the field… for that you do a thing called “practice” and “playing the sport”.

the drills are meant to teach him to relax and absorb force or perform plyos, and then when he has to, generate force rapidly from positions he is unaccstomed too… such as when he is in a lunge etc.

sprinting out of a lunge you just dropped into from 18"+ inches puts a pretty nice load on the hamstrings/glutes.

i can handle criticism fine… i didnt flip out with a whole few paragraphs in my initial response to you… you’re comment that i sped up his footage to make him look faster etc is: FUCKING RETARDED.

peace

[quote]JGerman wrote:
adarqui wrote:
JGerman wrote:

Keep it up fells.

peace

[/quote]

I agree that everyone should be entitled to post their honest opinions on threads. This is only fair.

That said, sometimes a response (or two) in the same thread can make the person who responded seem a bit stupid.

This is also fair.