T Nation

Pyramid Sets for Beginner?

Hi,

I am trying to get bigger, stronger, and faster for basketball over the summer(12 weeks).

I am thinking of doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps for all my excersises during my workout program. Should I pyramid the sets? Will it make a difference for me as a beginner?

or should I just do 10-12 reps on all sets?

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to get bigger, stronger, and faster for basketball over the summer(12 weeks).

I am thinking of doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps for all my excersises during my workout program. Should I pyramid the sets? Will it make a difference for me as a beginner?

Thanks.[/quote]

Read the “Beginner Thread” in the Beginner’s forum.

Pyramiding your sets is an outdated method and not an effective way to your goals.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.[/quote]

I think everyone should get into the habit of pyramiding their sets. It allows you to “warm up” as well as prgressively move your body to that heavier set which will promote more growth. Since I started, I generally used my gauge for moving up in my weights as relation to how many reps I could get my last set with the heaviest weight. Even as a beginner, you need to get into the habit of not trying to go for the absolute max weight you can handle for reps for your first set. Use a weight you can generally get 10-12 times for your first set with good form. Gradually go up in weight to one you can get 8-10 times. i usually go for a weight I can get about 6 times for my last set (sometimes less but as a beginner, your goal is to avoid injuring yourself).

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

Pyramiding your sets is an outdated method and not an effective way to your goals.

[/quote]

Why do you think this?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Why do you think this?[/quote]

I’ve read several articles discussing this. I think Chris Shugart may have mentioned this before, and I know Poliquin addressed this as well.

However, for a complete beginner, pyramid sets are okay for a little while. I believe that if you are going to pyramid, you should stay within a 3-rep range (4-6 or 6-8 or 8-10 or 10-12). But I think there are more effective rep/set parameters to choose from rather than pyramiding.

If I have a chance, I’ll find some of the info about this and post it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Even as a beginner, you need to get into the habit of not trying to go for the absolute max weight you can handle for reps for your first set. Use a weight you can generally get 10-12 times for your first set with good form. Gradually go up in weight to one you can get 8-10 times. i usually go for a weight I can get about 6 times for my last set (sometimes less but as a beginner, your goal is to avoid injuring yourself).
[/quote]

I do agree with this as it pertains to warming up before doing your working sets.