T Nation

pyramid diet?

First question, how long does it usually take for a muscle to finish healing, making it stronger after a workout?? I was thinking what if one went on a alternating diet, taking in below maintnence calories on workout days, burning fat, and taking in above maintnence cals on off days, to help build muscle? would it be possible to burn fat, and gain muscle? What if the diet was keto-like, but you could eat some carbs on workout days to boost the w/o?

You’re on to something. First off, the healing question is two-part. One: how long after a workout does a muscle heal to become stronger? Bryan Haycock would say two days, and that’s why he gets his boys to work out every two days. Two: how long after a workout does a muscle heal the damage done to it? That’s a very different question, but I’d say that a muscle continues to heal until it is healed - it could be a day, it could be a week. I’d say the trick is to workout the maximum your body can heal and improve - whatever your split.

Regarding your diet idea. Actually, that sounds pretty close to having a “standardized” diet and throwing in post-workout meals. It’s what I did on my version of the Poliquin diet, and it worked very well.

If I remember correctly, the balance between catabolism and anabolism is reach around the 24 hour mark. If you use surge or other anabolic supps. the balance is reached well before that, potentially within 1 - 4 hours.
The concept of alternating caloric intake is already addressed though with the “zigzag” diet. On this diet you either adjust by the day or by 2-4 hour blocks of time i.e. if you are going to be sitting around for the next 3 hours then what you would eat is different than if in the next 2 hours you were going to work out. This applies not only to calories but macronutrient ratios as well.
Peace,
Tmofa

The answer is yes. Do a internet search for Dr. Squat and check out his website for the Zig Zag Diet. Best of Luck.

Theres and intriguing book called “natural hormonal enhancement” (Rob Faigin) that touches on this idea. I might give the diet a shot. Low carbs all the time, with the exception of scheduled “loads” where you pile in the starch to replenish glycogen. Supposedly fat becomes the primary source of fuel, with no drop in performance… We’ll see… If anyone’s read the book, what do u think?