Pylometrics Mania!

Hi friends. Not sure if conditioning is the right area fo this, but here goes…
Im a semi pro soccer player in offseason at the moment, concentrating on strength and power.
I was wondering if anyone here have tried a pylometric program? If so, what results did you gain? And does it intefere with gaining muscle with weight lifting?
My aim for the offseason is to gain strength, power, and size. Could pylos fit in to my routine??

Thanks BBB.
You might of saved my joints. Im just a little concerned that Im losing my “quickness” with the extra muscle that I have put on. I do sprint intervals once a week at the moment. For a more comprehensive review of my program, visit my rate my physique thread(BirdMans journey).
I think I will stick to my routine for another 6 weeks, and then I will be adding some more running and cardio like work and also some more skill work with the ball.

tweet tweet

Thanks Mr BBB.
But what is SAQ? Skills and Q???
And is S&C strength and conditioning???

At the moment Im training like a bodybuilder with sprints once a week(see below). Im thinking of continuing this till about half way through January, and then start more conditioning(ie: 350m runs etc and hill sprints) and also increase the skill work. At that point would you suggest I cut my lifting down to twice a week and do a upper body day and a lower body day?? My soccer season starts in March.

current training program;
Monday: deadlifts, pull ups, seated cables rows, face pulls
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: ab and core work, BB military press, dB milatary press, lateral shoulder raises, high intensity sprints(8 x 70 yards)
Thursday: back squats, bulgarian split squats, sometimes some lunges
Friday: Might go for a light bike ride, and then some close grip chin ups and dB curls
Saturday: dB chest press, incline dB presses, flyes, superset weighted dips and push ups
Sunday: Rest

tweet tweet

Cut down to body weight sessions??? After achieving my personal best of 160kg deadlift and 135kg squats, I will find it hard to put away the weights. And plus I enjoy lifting a lot…
How about I cut down to 3 weight lifting sessions a week in the afternoons, and leave skills and agility for morning sessions??

tweet tweet

Yer I get you.
I was thinking how about alternating a week of bodybuilding like splits with a week of 2 days a week of 2 total body sessions?? And where can I fing a good program for total bod sesions? Do you have any suggestions?

tweet tweet

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Yer I get you.
I was thinking how about alternating a week of bodybuilding like splits with a week of 2 days a week of 2 total body sessions?? And where can I fing a good program for total bod sesions? Do you have any suggestions?

tweet tweet[/quote]

Just do squats, deads, standing BB press, BB rows, incline BD chest press, abs. There is your TBT routine. Oh, add some direct arm work if you want.

If I thought alternating styles was worth it (with reference you your goals) I would have said it :wink:

BBB[/quote]

I like this suggestion, but I’d have pullups in there too. Possibly weighted if you’re badass enough.

Hi friends.
Yer I am a badass. Im a cross between Bruce Willis and Big Bird.
BBB, that sounds like an awesome workout. Would I do that twice a week? Im not sure how I would go doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout. Would I lift as much as I can do, and keep to my 5 x 5 style? And i assume that would take about an hour to fit all of that in. At the monent my workouts usually last under an hour, and the first 20 minutes is warming up.
And also another note, I want to keep lunges into my workout. Everybody wants to look like a bird, but nobody want to do these friggin-God-dam-heavy-ass lunges!!

tweet tweet

why not follow CT’s principals? they should help you get more explosive/powerful

Hmm. Yer, I had a quick look at CTs latest articles, but its all a bit long and complicated.
I go by the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid).
By the way, today I squatted 140kg for 3. Yeah buddy!! Thats a new record. Lightweight!!! Aint nuthin but an almond!

tweet tweet

Nothing really complicated… explode the weight as hard as you can no matter how heavy or light the weight is. the workout plan is written down. -_-

If it was that easy, then why did he write a billion articles on it?

tweet tweet

Excuse me Mr BBB, but 20 minutes of warming up isnt a great lot. Forgive me if I dont get the correct technical terms.
But for example, my warmup before leg day;
10 minutes of foam rolling(calves, hams, IT, quads, back)
ankle flexibility warm up (2 sets of 10 each leg)
2 sets of 10 leg swings(slowly increasing the range of movement on each swing)
quadracep stretch (walking across he gym floor, I only hold the strecth for about 2-3 seconds, once again trying to increase rang of motion)
adductor strecth (same principle as above)
spiderman stretch
bodyweight squats(3 sets of 10)
glute activation(2 sets of 10)

And by now I have my body temp up and Im ready to go lift some heavy ass weight!!!
(for my chest and shoulder days, warm up is a bit quicker, as I concentrate warming up the rotator cuffs with my elastic bands and then pretty much get into my first warm up set)

tweet tweet