PWO'S | WHEY | And Other Supplements

Alright so I’m new to the supplement spectrum and I’m wondering what has worked for people and what I should use? Thanks.

There are a ton of options out there, and it is up to your discretion as to what to use.

IMO, you can’t go wrong with correcting nutrient deficiencies. Fish Oil with a good EPA/DHA content, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Zinc, and maybe some others depending on your own physiology (ex. Iron if you are a female prone to anemia or a vegetarian, Calcium if lactose intolerant and have no dairy products, etc.)

I plan on picking up some fishoil, whey protein, but I’m not sure what else, like what’s a good PWO?

Surge Recovery, in the T store on this site, is delicious and effective as a PWO.

Can’t go wrong with some Creatine. IMO it’s been my experience that alot of brands will try to sell you hyperbole about the latest and greatest creatine derivative/variant but at the end of the day, they’re all practically the same, and Creatine Monohydrate is generally cheap, reliable and effective - and used smartly will probably last you longer than most things in your pantry. (Case in point, I’ve had a 500g tub for over 6 months now, and I’m only half way through it)

PWO you can’t go wrong with a decent Whey powder and some carbs. After that, you can look at products like Surge, or even pre-workout stuff like the FINiBARs.

S

Im personally a big fan of FiNiBARs, Surge Recovery, and Grow! for peri-workout nutrition. Ive used Surge Workout Fuel, but didnt really notice anything astonishing with it. I also use Flameout, Superfood, and Metabolic Drive (Low-Carb for off days, Regular for lifting days) for my before bed shake. Ive had pretty good results with all of these. Oh, and Z-12? Yeah its ridiculous if you need a good nights sleep =)

For workout, make sure the following is included (whether you want to use carbs or not afterwards is up to you, it is still debatable):

• Some type of whey (hydrolyzed or isolate for example)
  • Some form of carbs (maltodextrin, d-glucose, waxy maize)
  • Leucine (most anabolic amino acid)
  • Creatine (stick with monohydrate)

Just get used to having a shake and then as you learn more you can tailor your peri-workout supps to how you feel with certain ingredients.

Others:

Fish oil
Vitamin D
Zinc
Magnesium (for zinc+magnesium, Biotest’s Mineral supplement seems pretty good for this)

Others but not really (you can test these out to see how they work for you):

Lactobacillus (good bacteria-containing supplement)
Enzymes for stomach digestion (NOW’s Super Enzymes for example)

Surge Workout Fuel is the best per-workout product I’ve used.

If you want to add something to this, go with FINiBAR.

I’ve been taking the Mineral Support, Flameout, Curcumin 500, and Superfood to even everything out. I feel like a million bucks compared to a month ago. My body has really been put to the test throughout my lifetime. Many injuries and alot of PT, so I can really tell how effective they’ve been for me.

My recovery from surgery 3 months ago (labrum) has been phenomenal.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
For workout, make sure the following is included (whether you want to use carbs or not afterwards is up to you, it is still debatable):

• Some type of whey (hydrolyzed or isolate for example)

Just get used to having a shake and then as you learn more you can tailor your peri-workout supps to how you feel with certain ingredients.

Others:

Fish oil
Vitamin D
Zinc
Magnesium (for zinc+magnesium, Biotest’s Mineral supplement seems pretty good for this)

Others but not really (you can test these out to see how they work for you):

Lactobacillus (good bacteria-containing supplement)
Enzymes for stomach digestion (NOW’s Super Enzymes for example)[/quote]

Wow thanks everyone very helpful so should I mix all of these together into 1 shake? - Some type of whey (hydrolyzed or isolate for example)

And drink 20 mins before workout? Then maybe surge for after?

You can’t go wrong with both Surge products. For me (and most here) its been the most tried and true combo that I don’t want to train without.

Then go with the Flameout, Mineral Support, and Superfood.

I’ll chime in on the Flameout and Curcumin as well. I don’t know how old you are, but my joints have taken a hell of a beating over the years, and these are what allows me to keep banging away hard and heavy each day. I’m curious to try the mineral support as well, I think too many people forget about basic sound nutrition in their quest for muscle size.

S

[quote]baileybeaver12 wrote:
Wow thanks everyone very helpful so should I mix all of these together into 1 shake? - Some type of whey (hydrolyzed or isolate for example)

[/quote]

I’d go with Surge 15 minutes prior to training.

Nothing wrong with the combo you’ve listed other than the WM, but it would probably taste like ass and cost most than Surge and not work as well.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the combo you’ve listed other than the WM, but it would probably taste like ass and cost most than Surge and not work as well.[/quote]

What about for a recovery drink?

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the combo you’ve listed other than the WM, but it would probably taste like ass and cost most than Surge and not work as well.[/quote]

What about for a recovery drink?[/quote]

Lately I’ve been having a serving of MAG-10 for recovery.

I’ll eat 30 to 60 minutes after this.

There’s nothing better than MAG-10 for recovery. The only thing even close is Surge Recovery. Which in your case, either would do just fine.

I would also look into Metabolic Drive > the whey. It’s been an instrumental part of my routine the last year and probably the best all around protein out there.

I find myself craving it all the time it’s so good to drink.

WHEW! I just won an auction of Superfood on ebay. Got it for 36$ and it’s on backorder here. I was prepared to spend 45$ if it came down to it.