PWO Shakes with Water or Milk?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Milk is for babies?

This coming from a guy who took steroids(Arnold)…

I hate that statement. Yeah…if I was on steroids, I’d say fuck milk too, who needs it at that point.[/quote]

“Milk is for babies, I drink beer. Haha.”

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Anyway “milk is for babies”

Care to expand on this? Alot of people have gotten big by including milk in their diets.

Arnold quote ;)[/quote]

Oh, now it makes sense lol. I just got a little defensive because I love milk and drink about a half gallon a day and swear I’m not a baby.

[quote]matko5 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Milk is for babies?

I hate that statement. Yeah…if I was on steroids, I’d say fuck milk too, who needs it at that point.

“Milk is for babies, I drink beer. Haha.” [/quote]

Yeah, slow website…After I posted I wanted to know the context in which arnold used that. Figured there had to be something more to the quote than that.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
The body has a much harder time trying to digest milk and it is also 80% casein protein which is slower digesting, aka, not good.

I would use water over milk but I use OJ over water.

OJ + Vanilla protein = Deliciousness.

All of that said it probably doesn’t make too much of a difference.

but the casein should not affect how the whey is digested I would not think?? I usually just have 2 to 3 scoops of whey with a scoop of gatorade powder as my post workout… Grow + fruit punch = win… Some recent research has suggested that carbonation speeds up the entry of food into your intestines, if you believe that, adding soda water is not a bad idea… if nothing else it makes the drinks fizzy !!
[/quote]

Right, the presence of casein will not slow the digestion of whey. In fact some of the coaches here suggest having your PWO shake with a mixture of casein/whey so you can get the best of both worlds. OP if you are using skim milk, i.e no fat, I would go with the milk.

Insulin spike, casein protein, extra cals etc. If it fits into your intake for the day, I’d do it.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Milk is for babies?

I hate that statement. Yeah…if I was on steroids, I’d say fuck milk too, who needs it at that point.
[/quote]

sigh

You’re worrying too much. There are pros/cons to both, and you’ll never get a definitive answer. It’s your preference. Don’t overthink it.

[quote]MuscleGeek wrote:
You’re worrying too much. There are pros/cons to both, and you’ll never get a definitive answer. It’s your preference. Don’t overthink it. [/quote]

x2

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

Right, the presence of casein will not slow the digestion of whey. In fact some of the coaches here suggest having your PWO shake with a mixture of casein/whey so you can get the best of both worlds. OP if you are using skim milk, i.e no fat, I would go with the milk.

Insulin spike, casein protein, extra cals etc. If it fits into your intake for the day, I’d do it.[/quote]

Thanks waylanderxx i am using skim for pwo, and I reckon ill keep using milk for the time being but i might give OJ a crack and see how it goes.

Here’s where the theoryfrom the bro at your gym comes from…

Whole proteins are made up of a certain ratio of amino-acids… i wont list them - and i am sure this is not news :wink:

When 10g protein is added to 30g, the ratio of aminos will often be different, even if both sources are whole - adding these two can give less than the sum of its parts… technically reducing the efficiacy of each protein source. It would most certainly be more protein than either provides alone, but just less than either eaten within 1 hour of each other.

This is the only reason people suggest this, and it is bollocks for want of a better term.

At the end of the day, if you want to gain size, strength and muscle, adding protein to your milk is a highly effective way to assist this.
Protein added to milk is highly calorific, high protein, mod/high carbs and low fat. It is a perfect bodybuilding food IME.

I generally use water if i am watching my weight, and milk when on an all out bulk.

tw0scoops2 wrote:
Milk is for babies?

sigh[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right. I shouldn’t talk about shit I don’t know.

tw0scoops2 wrote:
Milk is for babies?

sigh

[/quote]

lol

Keep in mind that milk is almost 90% water anyways…

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
matko5 wrote:
Anyway “milk is for babies”

Care to expand on this? Alot of people have gotten big by including milk in their diets.

Arnold quote :wink:

Oh, now it makes sense lol. I just got a little defensive because I love milk and drink about a half gallon a day and swear I’m not a baby.[/quote]

No need to get defensive fella, just a little humour to get through the day…

x2 for the OJ + Vanilla protein.

I use the ON Gold Standard Vanilla. With water it’s horrible but OJ makes it taste amazing. Try it.

Just drink it with milk if you feel like. You’ll slow down protein absorption a tad but I remember reading somewhere that lactose (at a significant dose tough) aids in giving an insulin spike which YOU WANT after a workout. So yah, if you got milk, drink it with milk.

[quote] Brook wrote:
Here’s where the theoryfrom the bro at your gym comes from…

Whole proteins are made up of a certain ratio of amino-acids… i wont list them - and i am sure this is not news :wink:

When 10g protein is added to 30g, the ratio of aminos will often be different, even if both sources are whole - adding these two can give less than the sum of its parts… technically reducing the efficiacy of each protein source. It would most certainly be more protein than either provides alone, but just less than either eaten within 1 hour of each other.

This is the only reason people suggest this, and it is bollocks for want of a better term.

At the end of the day, if you want to gain size, strength and muscle, adding protein to your milk is a highly effective way to assist this.
Protein added to milk is highly calorific, high protein, mod/high carbs and low fat. It is a perfect bodybuilding food IME.

I generally use water if i am watching my weight, and milk when on an all out bulk.[/quote]

Ihanks man, I sorta get where hes comin from now but im definately with you. With the 200ml skim milk that i use you get 92 cal, 6.6g of protein, 2.8g of fat and 10g of carbs so even if im cutting the extra 184cal isnt gonna make a difference unless im really desperate for a deficit