PWO Shake v. Food

Did you actually just call me- a nameless, faceless and soulless specter on the internet- a “dickhead”? I have not been called a “dickhead” since my prepubescence.

You chose to respond to my thread with rhetorical questions, clearly in an attempt to belittle my original post, me or both. I thought that perhaps you were just in a bad mood, or that you had not intended to be so boorish.

However, I read some of your other posts, and it is clear that you talk down to people on these forums on a regular basis. I find this especially perposterous in light of the fact that you claim to have only been training for “seven months.” These forums should not be a contest to see who sounds toughest or smartest through a keyboard; if you are not here to be helpful and/or humorous (“humourous,” for you), then I do not see the point of posting.

Best,
Henry

[quote]Henry Krinkle wrote:

Don’t talk down to me, dickhead.

Carbohydrates are used for ENERGY.

Why the fuck, wouuld you take 50+ grams of carbs to give you energy AFTER YOU HAVE ALREADY TRAINED?

The only thing I have after my workout is a standard protein shake, then a meal when I get home and have had a shower.

Did you actually just call me- a nameless, faceless and soulless specter on the internet- a “dickhead”? I have not been called a “dickhead” since my prepubescence.

You chose to respond to my thread with rhetorical questions, clearly in an attempt to belittle my original post, me or both. I thought that perhaps you were just in a bad mood, or that you had not intended to be so boorish.

However, I read some of your other posts, and it is clear that you talk down to people on these forums on a regular basis. I find this especially perposterous in light of the fact that you claim to have only been training for “seven months.” These forums should not be a contest to see who sounds toughest or smartest through a keyboard; if you are not here to be helpful and/or humorous (“humourous,” for you), then I do not see the point of posting.

Best,
Henry [/quote]

Oh I’m sorry that a swear word offended you. But i’d rather be direct than dance around with sarcasm like you.

And you say that you don’t see the point of posting if you aren’t going to be helpful, how was your sarcastic post helpful? Hypocrite.

[/quote]

Are people (men) really that sensitive these days?

Why the fuck, wouuld you take 50+ grams of carbs to give you energy AFTER YOU HAVE ALREADY TRAINED?

The only thing I have after my workout is a standard protein shake, then a meal when I get home and have had a shower.

Best,
Henry [/quote]

Ok guys stfu both of you! We don’t need more drama on these forums let me tell you that!
The idea of having a carb/whey shake before the workout has been around for some time now. CT is only pushing that idea to the next level. The basic idea is that, as BONEZ217 pointed out, if you take a shake before training you’ll be able to use the nutrients during or at least right after your workout instead of 1-2 hours after because that’s the time it takes to absorb the nutrients in your bloodstream.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Henry Krinkle wrote:

Best,
Henry

Oh I’m sorry that a swear word offended you. But i’d rather be direct that dance around with sarcasm like you.

And you say that you don’t see the point of posting if you aren’t going to be helpful, how was your sarcastic post helpful? Hypocrite.[/quote]

“Offended” is the wrong word; “stunned” would be more apt. Stunned that an adult would use such juvenile language. Don’t confuse vulgarity with directness.

And as to your second point: I am trying to help you. I don’t want you to go through life being so ill-mannered. In order for you to change your behavior, someone has to call you out on it.

Best,
Henry

Goodfellow wrote:
Henry Krinkle wrote:

Best,
Henry

Oh I’m sorry that a swear word offended you. But i’d rather be direct that dance around with sarcasm like you.

And you say that you don’t see the point of posting if you aren’t going to be helpful, how was your sarcastic post helpful? Hypocrite.

“Offended” is the wrong word; “stunned” would be more apt. Stunned that an adult would use such juvenile language. Don’t confuse vulgarity with directness.

And as to your second point: I am trying to help you. I don’t want you to go through life being so ill-mannered. In order for you to change your behavior, someone has to call you out on it.

Best,
Henry[/quote]

You are just ridiculous.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Henry Krinkle wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Why would you have a high energy packed carb/protein drink AFTER you have already exerted your energy at the gym?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have it before your workout, then a healthy meal after, once your stomach has settled down?

I’m sure you’ve always felt this way. It has nothing to do with the current “pre-workout” hype on the site, does it? You would never have thought a PWO shake was a good idea, correct?

…sarcasm…

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Best,
Henry

[/quote]

The carbs post workout aren’t to give energy but rather to 1) replenish muscle glycogen and 2) to cause an insulin spike so the protein is more effectively shuttled into the cells

Agreed with sgottsch. If you don’t have ample carbs after your workout your body will use protein for energy instead of muscle building. Some kind of carbs and protein is optimal for PWO. Whey protein is best because it is easily digested and quickly delivered to the muscles, whereas a steak would take too long to digest.

SGOTTSCH FINALLY SAID WHAT NEEDED TO BE SAID!!! I don’t post on here much and this is why! trying to give people information on a chat board is often like trying to explain the color to a blind man. They are just not going to see what’s really there no matter what. With the plethora of info about nutrition on T-Nation it’s astounding to me that people would post and argue when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. There is a definite benefit to post workout carbs…so stop being so pig headed and read and learn!

[quote]sgottsch wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Henry Krinkle wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Why would you have a high energy packed carb/protein drink AFTER you have already exerted your energy at the gym?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have it before your workout, then a healthy meal after, once your stomach has settled down?

I’m sure you’ve always felt this way. It has nothing to do with the current “pre-workout” hype on the site, does it? You would never have thought a PWO shake was a good idea, correct?

…sarcasm…

Best,
Henry

The carbs post workout aren’t to give energy but rather to 1) replenish muscle glycogen and 2) to cause an insulin spike so the protein is more effectively shuttled into the cells
[/quote]

replenish muscle gylcogen? What are we endurance athletes now? Replenishing muscle glycogen is not a primary concern for strength athletes because its real easy to get your muscle glycogen back up and timing is not necessarily an issue.

Studies prove that stress related hormones, catecholamines, are released after the body has undergone heavy resistance training. Catecholamines have been show to blunt the release of insulin from the pancreas PWO; therefore, consuming carbohydrates immediately PWO is not as beneficial as consuming them say an hour PWO to obtain a greater insulin spike. Plus, consuming CHO immediately PWO has shown to decrease growth hormones levels which can potentially blunt fat loss. Catecholamines blunt the release of insulin from the pancreas and raise glucagon levels.

[quote]Serd wrote:
sgottsch wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Henry Krinkle wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

…sarcasm…

Best,
Henry

replenish muscle gylcogen? What are we endurance athletes now? Replenishing muscle glycogen is not a primary concern for strength athletes because its real easy to get your muscle glycogen back up and timing is not necessarily an issue.

While I agree replenishment may not be a huge issue if you’re getting enough carbs, this was not posted in the strength forum. If you are carb restricted, glycogen refiling PWO is more critical.

Studies prove that stress related hormones, catecholamines, are released after the body has undergone heavy resistance training. Catecholamines have been show to blunt the release of insulin from the pancreas PWO; therefore, consuming carbohydrates immediately PWO is not as beneficial as consuming them say an hour PWO to obtain a greater insulin spike.

Plus, consuming CHO immediately PWO has shown to decrease growth hormones levels which can potentially blunt fat loss. Catecholamines blunt the release of insulin from the pancreas and raise glucagon levels.
[/quote]

Catecholamines have a half-life of only a few minutes. By the time you’re actually sipping on your PWO shake, the levels are rapidly diminishing. Even if they were to persist, isn’t that all the more reason to try to up your insulin level.

Even if the insulin spike is stunted by any residual catecholamines, your insulin levels and therefore your ability to shunt protein into cells is better with simple carbs than without.

I hate the way I feel with shakes, so I cut out protein powders. I’m loving the way I feel, and for PWO I eat whole foods. No problem with gains either. Couple cans of tuna on whole wheat bread usually. Sometimes I go to Chipotle (salad). I tend to keep it mid to low carb for PWO, even with real food. I’ve got fat to lose.