T Nation

PWO Shake Is A Myth

Hello everyone, hope everyone is having a good gym session toay:)!

Well, this is something that has been extremely intriguing to me and I would appreciate your oppinion.

What i started to believe is that all pwo shakes, pwo meals, pwo window etc doesnt make sense. Apparently all the studies on pwo nutrition and timing have been done on ppl that worked out in fasted state, and then of course they would benefit from pwo nutrition.

I personally don’t worry about pwo shakes or anything like that and I gain just fine. My post-workout meal is eggs usually.

Also, I find my appetite is blunted for an hour or so after training, so I don’t really see the point in forcing a load of protein into my system if my body doesn’t even seem to want it.

I do use 20g BCAAs when I train fasted though

I’ve always adhered to the PWO protein shake rule so I don’t know how well I would gain without it. However, I have to eat crazy amounts of carbs/food to gain so it is kind of important for me, if for no other reason than to allow me to reach a caloric surplus. I also feel tired or sluggish after my workouts until I ingest some simple carbs.

I think something like this is extremely hard to test, because its only 1 of 1000 factors that goes into bodybuilding. Without a comprehensive study with a large and diverse sample size, I don’t think anyone’s personal experience in this sort of thing can really tell us anything.

I usually have a protein shake + little bit of fruit blended together, but that’s just because it tastes amazing after a workout. I figure that means it’s doing something good. I’ve also had sandwiches and plain chicken as well. Didn’t make me feel as good as a banana though. I don’t think PWO nutrition is as strict as some thing. More likely it’s a guideline for fueling the body after it’s broken down, not a mandatory thing.

I would think that this falls under the general rule that the 23 hours of the day which you aren’t focused on are the most important - there’s probably some benefit for some people to targeted nutrition within a specific work out window, but there’s probably a greater benefit to eating lots of good food when you are in the physiological state (relaxed, hungry) to properly digest it.

At one point I worried a lot about this, and didn’t notice much benefit, now I pay more attention to the three or four feedings that happen post workout and all of the feedings that happen on off days and I like the results I’m getting. That said, I’ve also considered adding a bcaa/creatine drink back in peri workout …so…individualize.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
I personally don’t worry about pwo shakes or anything like that and I gain just fine. My post-workout meal is eggs usually.

Also, I find my appetite is blunted for an hour or so after training, so I don’t really see the point in forcing a load of protein into my system if my body doesn’t even seem to want it.

I do use 20g BCAAs when I train fasted though[/quote]

I don’t really have an appetite either and the few times I have tried to force myself to eat something I stay nauseous for a few hours so I figure any potential benefit is nullified when I cant eat as much during the next meal.

[quote]bpick86 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I do use 20g BCAAs when I train fasted though[/quote]

I don’t really have an appetite either and the few times I have tried to force myself to eat something I stay nauseous for a few hours so I figure any potential benefit is nullified when I cant eat as much during the next meal. [/quote]

Same. I do post workout liquids like pineapple juice, maltodextrin, and whey but I like to wait at least 60 minutes for an appetite to build before eating solid foods. I don’t salivate much after training so it’s almost impossible for me to eat anything. Heck, even the liquids feel uncomfortable at times but such is the challenge of trying to gain mass.