T Nation

PWO Shake and Food...

I just finished a good work out and followed it with:

1. 2 scoops whey, 1/2 c skim milk, 1/4 tsp creatine
  2. 1/2 plain oats with honey

Is this ideal for PWO intake?

I know in one hour I need to eat big and plan on grilled chicken, a few eggs, toast with peanut butter and some veggies.

What do y’all think?

It’s not ideal no, but it’s better than nothing.

Surge would be ideal

whey hydrolysate is the ideal form PWO
the oats slow the digestion down too much (dextrose/maltodextrin is ideal here)

the honey is a good addition but probably not enough

what are your goals?

[quote]Sklander wrote:
I just finished a good work out and followed it with:

1. 2 scoops whey, 1/2 c skim milk, 1/4 tsp creatine
  2. 1/2 plain oats with honey

Is this ideal for PWO intake?

I know in one hour I need to eat big and plan on grilled chicken, a few eggs, toast with peanut butter and some veggies.

What do y’all think?[/quote]

Ideal? Well that would depend on your goals. But, it looks just fine if you mean 1. and 2. are both consumed in one meal. Personally, I would add more oats. You can put them in a coffee grinder and make them into a fine powder so they arent so filling.

Goals are to pack on weight.

Yes, 1 and 2 are in one sitting. I think adding the oats straight to the shake would be easier… just down the thick thing.

What is a simple carb that would be better than oats for PWO?

[quote]Sklander wrote:
Goals are to pack on weight.

Yes, 1 and 2 are in one sitting. I think adding the oats straight to the shake would be easier… just down the thick thing.

What is a simple carb that would be better than oats for PWO?[/quote]

Total calories are more important than focusing on simple sugars like dex/malto pwo. My favorite bulking meal is a box of Kraft Dinner and a whey shake. Consuming 100 grams of simple sugars would put me into a coma. You already take care of the simple carb aspect with honey. That is good enough.

Interesting.

Do you count the 4 calories per gram of protein intake in the total calorie intake per day?