T Nation

PWO Opportunity Cost

Surge vs. Grow!

With cost being a major factor what is more worth it, Surge or Grow! PWO? With Surge being aprox. 2X the cost of per serving what is going to be the approximate lost percentage gain given all else equal, except that giving up the purchase of Surge will equal more Grow!/Low-Carb Grow! and thus push me closer to the minimum of 1g of P per pound? also considering tapping into reserve of MAG-10, depending on my results of budget calculation for the semester (affordability of excess calories).

cost, because im a struggling college student.

Thank you for your time and knowledgable input.

If I was in your situation I would go with the Grow!. Surge is the best Post workout drink you can get. But if money is a factor I would rather have a high quality protien that I could have multiple shakes throughout the day with.

If you go the Grow! route for your post workout shake just add or drink seperately grape juice or something like that. Something high glycemic will still help kick start the recovery process that Surge does so well!

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
If I was in your situation I would go with the Grow!. Surge is the best Post workout drink you can get. But if money is a factor I would rather have a high quality protien that I could have multiple shakes throughout the day with.

If you go the Grow! route for your post workout shake just add or drink seperately grape juice or something like that. Something high glycemic will still help kick start the recovery process that Surge does so well![/quote]

thanks for the reply. anybody else? as always, greatly appreciated!!!

Yeah, what Elk said.

With the Low-Carb Grow! you can work on the other side of the equation… avoiding catabolism or maintaining anabolism for long periods of time and get a convenient protein source for anytime.

It’s not necessary to do EVERYTHING perfect to get gains. Eat well, hit the gym, don’t stress out about exams, get lots of sleep, bang hot chicks. You’ll be set!

I say SURGE instead!

Get your protein from food sources instead of a supplement.

Personally I prefer to get my sources of protein from whole food.

If you eat six times a day and have protein such as; chicken, x-lean beef, buffalo, tuna, salmon, turkey, egg whites. Then I don’t see protein consumption being a problem.

I personally would go with POST WORKOUT SURGE for the reason stated above.

-Get Lifted

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
I say SURGE instead!

Get your protein from food sources instead of a supplement.

Personally I prefer to get my sources of protein from whole food.

If you eat six times a day and have protein such as; chicken, x-lean beef, buffalo, tuna, salmon, turkey, egg whites. Then I don’t see protein consumption being a problem.

Depends if you weigh 180 lbs are above and are trying to get the recommended gram or more of protien per pound of bodyweight for muscle growth its kinda hard to eat that much! But, if you can more power to ya!

I personally would go with POST WORKOUT SURGE for the reason stated above.

-Get Lifted

[/quote]

I’d say the Grow! too. I respect what Get Lifted just said, but consider:

This guy’s a busy college lad, on a tight budget. I’m not sure that buying all those whole/real meats would be cheaper than Grow!, protein gram per gram. Also, there is the time element of preparation of those meats vs. mix and gulp shakes.

And so, I recommend the Grow! or Low-Carb Grow! with a high GI drink. Maybe even order some dextrose. Dextrose is cheap and very high GI.

[quote]Ursus wrote:
I’d say the Grow! too. I respect what Get Lifted just said, but consider:

This guy’s a busy college lad, on a tight budget. I’m not sure that buying all those whole/real meats would be cheaper than Grow!, protein gram per gram. Also, there is the time element of preparation of those meats vs. mix and gulp shakes.

And so, I recommend the Grow! or Low-Carb Grow! with a high GI drink. Maybe even order some dextrose. Dextrose is cheap and very high GI.
[/quote]

I got an idea. Since I am a college student too, I can understand some of the issues. Let’s find out exactly what issues he has.

Viz,

Do you live in the dorms?
If you do, do you have a fridge and countertop grill?

Do you have a dining pass?
Can you buy lean meat to put in your fridge?

After those questions are answered we are likely to better assist him…

I say both are necessary. I can recall several times where I was pushed for time and needed a protein supplement.

Did you know Viz that you can get your dining hall to pay for your protein? LOL… its true. The school pays for my Low-Carb Grow! every month. I had trouble eating their food and asked them if they could accomodate me. They did after some pushing on the issue. So, if you are PAYING for their dining hall services to begin with… Tell them their protein sources are fatty and ask them to assist you.

Anyway,

Let us know a little bit more. Perhaps you can do both, not just one or the other… :slight_smile:

-Get Lifted

first off, i appreciate all of your comments. back to business… no i dont live in the dorms. doing the apt. thing. dorms actually cost too much. so did my fraternity house, and the food was worse. i would have more dough-ray-me if i was not layed off last semester. of the jobs that i would have received, went to the “preseason” rush that i missed. so i worked over break with a company that sells exercise equipment (perfect because they needed me and i needed them)that i had worked with before because getting a job over break was not possible when you have a twenty spot in the bank for the month of december. this sucks, think im going back to personal traing. oh yea, keep the PWO opportunity cost info coming… ive always wanted to see a discusion about this because i feel that it appeals to so many who can only do the bare minimum when it comes to throwing down for what youre putting down the hatch.