PWO Nutrition and Evening Carbs

Post workout you’re suppose to eat high GI carbs and a quickly digestable (whey) protein in about a 2:1 ratio, correct?

So, is there anything wrong with eating a package of instant pudding (100 grams simple carbs) with about 50 grams of whey? Is this too much of both or just too much sugar? I try to avoid refined sugar otherwise. Is using a workout as a reason to eat a lot of simple carbs or a P+C meal in the evening alright?

I’m trying to get my diet together and avoiding carbs in the evening seems to be working. Is working out before dinner to have bread, potatoes, or pasta alright?

[quote]andy bumphren wrote:
Post workout you’re suppose to eat high GI carbs and a quickly digestable (whey) protein in about a 2:1 ratio, correct?[/quote]

Pretty much correct. Although we’re seeing some tidbits now about having whey hydrosylate/dextrose+maltodextrin immediately BEFORE workout so that amino and carb delivery is in sync with demand from workout, but that is an ideal. Before+during and another after is safe.

[quote]
So, is there anything wrong with eating a package of instant pudding (100 grams simple carbs) with about 50 grams of whey? Is this too much of both or just too much sugar? I try to avoid refined sugar otherwise. Is using a workout as a reason to eat a lot of simple carbs or a P+C meal in the evening alright?[/quote]

Well first I would ask what are you goals? Are you:
1)Trying to gain as much muscle with minimal fat?
2)Trying to gain some lean muscle while losing some fat?
3)Trying to drop as much fat as possible while retaining your muscle?

Generally, no matter what your goal, its advisable to get some carbs and protein after your workout. There are some exceptions, diets like the Anabolic Diet don’t push this as much, but around here its generally accepted.

Also, what type of simple carb is in the instant pudding? Sucrose I guess is ok, fructose wouldn’t be ideal due to lack of insulin response, dextrose and maltodextrin would be the best.

[quote]
I’m trying to get my diet together and avoiding carbs in the evening seems to be working. Is working out before dinner to have bread, potatoes, or pasta alright?[/quote]

Again, what do you mean by “get your diet together?” Are you trying to lose fat or just eat more healthy foods in general while trying to gain mass? I say whenever you train, have you some carbs and protein afterwards. You may just want to adjust the amounts of carbs in the meals following your workout and post workout shake depending on how late or early you lift.

Also, always remember to implement changes, try to be as consistent as possible, evaluate your results and if after a while you’re not happy, change it up and try again!

Andy,
Pre-, mid-, and post-workout carbs are generally good ideas.

A post workout ratio of 2:1 up to 4:1 is usually considered on the mark. The difference depends on one’s goals (weight gain vs. fat loss) and carbohydrate metabolism (e.g. family history of diabetes, diet history, any known blood work, etc.)

And exercising before dinner isn’t a bad thought either. Getting oneself in a state conducive to partitioning nutrients more selectively into muscle tissue at a time when carb metabolism might otherwise be lacking has some solid theory (and at least some data) behind it.

Lonnie Lowery,

I don’t have a family history of diabetes, and my goal is to increase body weight. Would it be best to increase my post workout carbs to a 4:1 ratio?

soco

Soco,
Thin guys who have reason to believe they are good carbohydrate metabolizers might indeed benefit from the high carb ratio.

As a side note, did you know it takes about a 100g of fast-acting (high-glycemic) carbs to drive up insulin enough to have a potent effect of creatine uptake into muscles? …Just a nerdy thought…

hi Lonnie

when is the best time for cheat meals?
how much is too much?

best way to get rid of all the water
retention that this meals cuse?
and in the off days do i need to
cunsume less cal?

thank you
amit

NewDamage, I understand the fructose argument, but Do you have any evidence or explanation as to why dextrose/maltodextrin is better than sucrose besides the fact that eating table sugar just seems counterproductive? Always wondered about this.

NewDamage, my goals currently are to lean out and get back to where i was before track season strength wise.

I had planned on following the ABBH plan but the 5x10 days turned out to be a little too much for me on upper body days. My cycle has 4 training days 3 days a week.
1st upper body day 10x3 bench
1st lower body day power cleans squats ghr
2nd upper body day push press/shoulders
2nd lower body day goodmorning reverse hyper
I’ve been doing sprints on either saturday or sunday depending on which gives me the most time inbetween leg days.
Workout days I’ll have a shake with about 45 grams of protein 30-45 minutes before going to the gym, I’ll drink gatorade and creatine during the workout which provides about 60 grams of dextrose, then have another shake with 45 grams of protein right after.

I guess Lonnie answered my question whether or not that was too much sugar, as that is is apparantly optimum for shuttling creatine into the muscles.

I have thought of another question, how much work would make PWO nutrition necessary/beneficial. Certainly lifting or sprinting, but would a half hour of basketball work the same way? With an activity of a lower intensity like that would creating an insulin reponse be bad?

I don’t have anything concrete in front of me right now and I’m too lazy to look, but if I remember correctly dextrose and malto specifically elicit a higher insulin response? And having a blend prevents having too much dextrose in the gut causing bloating. Maybe someone can weigh in on sucrose if they know quickly.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Soco,
Thin guys who have reason to believe they are good carbohydrate metabolizers might indeed benefit from the high carb ratio.

As a side note, did you know it takes about a 100g of fast-acting (high-glycemic) carbs to drive up insulin enough to have a potent effect of creatine uptake into muscles? …Just a nerdy thought…[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I am on the thin side but can put on fat if I eat like the average american. Any way to test if I am good with carbs other than me randomly assuming?