PWO Meal, What's Yours?

After your post-workout shake what is next?

Do you eat whole grain/wheat carbs or do you go ahead and have your bagel or white pasta?

A few coaches here recommend never taking any sort of white flour, not even post-workout but if the goal is to spike insulin then why is there a problem?

The only reason I can think of is the inferior nutrition of the white simple carbs when compared to whole grain carbs.

Post away

FOR ME anything goes, so long as I get some quality proteins in there. (except when I’m on a cut)

I’m cutting… some form of meat and vegetable with fish oil.

cutting here as well.

So right now it’s a chicken salad with walnuts, EVOO and vinagerette

If im leaning up a bit, I’ll have two chicken breast with a mixed veggie stir fry with maybe some olive or fish oil. When im looking for size and/or strength gains I’ll have two grilled chicken breasts with a large baked potato (usually white potatoes, although I throw in some sweet ones).

When gaining my go to meal is a bag of rice + a pound of meat (chicken or ground beef) + a handful or two of cheese. Not exactly gourmet but it gets the job done

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
cutting here as well.

So right now it’s a chicken salad with walnuts, EVOO and vinagerette [/quote]

No more Peanut Butter sandwiches and pizza for you :stuck_out_tongue:

Some kind of protein and oatmeal. I usually just throw a cup of oats in the blender with some cinnamon maybe a banana. Easier to get more carbs down than cooking it all. Lately I’ve been eating a lot of chicken for this meal.

Fridays are squat days, and cheat meal night, so my post w/o meal is a cheat of some variety.

I like some sort of meat and carbs. My favorite form of carbs is buckwheat. It’s like 10% protein too and tastes better than rice. I’ll put butter in it sometimes.

For meat, I’ll usually have chicken or meat loaf.

Then, I start to polish off that day’s gallon of milk.

I’m surprised at how stict and how little people eat post workout. For me, I have my shake on my way back to my apartment. when I get back, it’s everything and anything goes as long as I pound down food.

Easiest way to answer this question is by giving a sample day, like today:
pulled pork sandwich on wheat
2 chicken breasts and bbq sauce
ice cream, a few large spoonfuls
leftover rice
half a quesadilla my roommmate didn’t want to finish

This was all done within an hour of arriving home, and I was actually full halfway through the second chicken breast.

Usually I do the “big rice bowl”. 4 cups of brown rice, half pound of turkey or so, maybe green peppers or broccoli.

Once a week I make a Boboli pizza with a pound of bison, whole mozzarella, tomato sauce, peppers, maybe some shitakes.

J-fit; your cutting? Already? I thought you were bulking about a week or two ago?

I’m pretty strict with my foods. I have 3oz of whole wheat pasta and 3oz of chicken about 30min after i toss back my PWO shake.

3 white lights: don’t be a hater. i know 1 person that we both know that is a bit more strict… after all; i season my chicken.

After my shake I usually have a plate of blue corn tortilla chips and salsa (i hears that lycopene aids muscle recovery) and a big ol’ glass of skim milk

About half an hour after PWO shake I usually eat this:
Ramen soup (60g carbs for $.28, can’t beat that)
Large amounts of lean protein(chicken, fish, etc)or a protein shake if I’m too lazy and/or dumb to remember to grill whatever I need the night before.

I started a 5-6 week cut 3 weeks ago. I’ve got a head cold pretty bad for the past 3 days and I wasn’t at home so my nutrition has been horrible.

I wanted to cut a little chub before getting back into bulking mode.
I enjoy pizza once a week during the Skins game along with other goodies. But cutting out bread is the worst :frowning:
I may do it for another 2-3 weeks, we’ll see how I’m progressing (definitely not longer), then I’ll go into maintenance for a short period and back to the bulking.
I’ve got 2 more bottles of 11-T coming, along with one left at home.

I also chose to cut at 198/7 so as not to hit the 200 mark and be afraid of dipping below it like some do.

Tonight I had 2 fillets of Coley, 2 plums a banana and some natural yoghurt.

If I hadn’t broken my blender the other day, I’d have thrown the yoghurt and fruit in with some frozen blueberries and some rolled oats to make a smoothie.

Roll on payday so I can get a new bloody blender!

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I started a 5-6 week cut 3 weeks ago. I’ve got a head cold pretty bad for the past 3 days and I wasn’t at home so my nutrition has been horrible.

I wanted to cut a little chub before getting back into bulking mode.
I enjoy pizza once a week during the Skins game along with other goodies. But cutting out bread is the worst :frowning:
I may do it for another 2-3 weeks, we’ll see how I’m progressing (definitely not longer), then I’ll go into maintenance for a short period and back to the bulking.
I’ve got 2 more bottles of 11-T coming, along with one left at home.

I also chose to cut at 198/7 so as not to hit the 200 mark and be afraid of dipping below it like some do.[/quote]

I think that bouncing back and forth between cutting and bulking isn’t going to yield the best results man. Maintenance allows your body to readjust its bodyweight. Think of it like a graph where you are taking the average. If you have just gained a significant amount of weight and immediately start to cut; then take the average weight over both those cycles; your body will tend to float back to the average weight held over those cycles. For example (I’ll use myself). I went from 195 to 170 and back up to 195 now. If I wasn’t using periodic maintenance phases, my bodyweight would be around 182, and not as lean as I’d like.

Just a word to the wise, I know you’ve been busting your ass and don’t wanna see your time go to waste.

Maintenance phases are boring as shit; but I typically take that time to focus on my numbers more. I’ve been at maintenance for 4 weeks and all of my lifts have improved every week.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

I like 6oz of chicken, 2 cups of broccoli, and 4 slices of Ezekiel Bread. Simple, I know, but good when you eat clean.

Come on people keep posting your post-workout meals. I want some ideas :P.

Option 1: organic wheat pita with hummus, greek chicken kabobs and assorted vegetables.

Option 2: chicken stir fry with broccoli, tomatoes and buckwheat noodles

Option 3: double cheeseburger using lean ground beef, homemade wheat buns and a modified big mac special sauce.