T Nation

PWO Grow!

Due to budget restrictions I don’t use Surge PWO! I use whey + dextrose. Now that Grow! has been reformulated to include some slower absorbing casein, would It be better to use a different protein powder PWO?

Is the old style Grow! still going to be kept around for people in my situation?

I understand about budget restraints, but with that said, Surge is a great bargain for what you are getting.

In the past I have used a good quality protein shake (Grow!) and Gatorade (powder form). You could also use Grow! and throw in some dextrose and malto. You could also drink some skim milk and eat a piece of white bread.

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
Due to budget restrictions I don’t use Surge PWO! I use whey + dextrose. Now that Grow! has been reformulated to include some slower absorbing casein, would It be better to use a different protein powder PWO?

Is the old style Grow! still going to be kept around for people in my situation?[/quote]

Since i don’t think it would taste very good to mix Grow! into a bottle of gatorade, can i drink a serving of gatorade and then drink a Grow! shake?

yup! but if you wanna be a tricksy hobbit, think about gastric emptying… and timing insulin spike with praotine (thats the way the Finnish pronounce protein) absorbtion… meh, buggered if i know anything about that stuff though. who cares it doesnt really matter unless the rest of your life is perfect lol
knock the juice back, take em consecutively, and you’ll get big muskles.

i reckon.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Berardi suggests using plain ole skim milk as a post workout drink for those that can’t get Surge.

I believe the article is about a Sports Nutrition Convention or something.

The other alternative is to use dextrose and maltodextrin.

-Dave

Geez people…

Yeah, Surge is great stuff, and perhaps a bargain for the effect, but some people just cannot afford it! Some people can’t afford any supplements. Try to answer the guy’s question without mindlessly plugging Biotest. It almost reminds me of going into a GNC in search of MD6, and when the sales associate told me they didn’t have it, he directed me toward Xenadrine! Look, I don’t want that; I want this! TC won’t kick you off of the site if you fail to argue the importance of every Biotest product. Sorry, that was just the accumulation of rage due to several posts that were made after TC’s “Mad As Hell” article.

To answer your question, I would guess that Biotest will retain Low-Carb Grow! as a more rapidly digesting formula. However, I cannot guarantee that. If that is the case, use Low-Carb Grow! as your PWO, coupled with other carbs, of course. Of course, if you are really, really restricted on cash, you can use skim milk or pasteurized egg whites with dextrose Kool-Aid as your PWO. Not quite as effective or as tasty, but hey, we all get strapped at times.

~Terumo

Just trying to share with the original poster things that work well for me.

[quote]Terumo wrote:
Geez people…

Yeah, Surge is great stuff, and perhaps a bargain for the effect, but some people just cannot afford it! Some people can’t afford any supplements. Try to answer the guy’s question without mindlessly plugging Biotest. It almost reminds me of going into a GNC in search of MD6, and when the sales associate told me they didn’t have it, he directed me toward Xenadrine! Look, I don’t want that; I want this! TC won’t kick you off of the site if you fail to argue the importance of every Biotest product. Sorry, that was just the accumulation of rage due to several posts that were made after TC’s “Mad As Hell” article.

To answer your question, I would guess that Biotest will retain Low-Carb Grow! as a more rapidly digesting formula. However, I cannot guarantee that. If that is the case, use Low-Carb Grow! as your PWO, coupled with other carbs, of course. Of course, if you are really, really restricted on cash, you can use skim milk or pasteurized egg whites with dextrose Kool-Aid as your PWO. Not quite as effective or as tasty, but hey, we all get strapped at times.

~Terumo[/quote]

[quote]Terumo wrote:
Geez people…

Yeah, Surge is great stuff, and perhaps a bargain for the effect, but some people just cannot afford it! Some people can’t afford any supplements. Try to answer the guy’s question without mindlessly plugging Biotest. It almost reminds me of going into a GNC in search of MD6, and when the sales associate told me they didn’t have it, he directed me toward Xenadrine! Look, I don’t want that; I want this! TC won’t kick you off of the site if you fail to argue the importance of every Biotest product. Sorry, that was just the accumulation of rage due to several posts that were made after TC’s “Mad As Hell” article.

To answer your question, I would guess that Biotest will retain Low-Carb Grow! as a more rapidly digesting formula. However, I cannot guarantee that. If that is the case, use Low-Carb Grow! as your PWO, coupled with other carbs, of course. Of course, if you are really, really restricted on cash, you can use skim milk or pasteurized egg whites with dextrose Kool-Aid as your PWO. Not quite as effective or as tasty, but hey, we all get strapped at times.

~Terumo[/quote]

I’m only quoting myself because I was a complete dick about this. Yes, I do feel that many people have been kissing some serious Biotest ass after TC’s “Mad As Hell” article, but I don’t think this particular post warranted my fuming wrath (fortunately, that’s about as worked-up as I ever get). For this, I apologize, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

Speaking in terms of scientific validation and personal experience, Surge is a top-notch product. I can see why it would be praised. I just got a bit antsy over some of the past posts that I’ve read over the last couple of weeks.

I’ll admit when I’ve stepped over the line, and this is one of those times. As Charlie Murphy might say, I am a “habitual line-stepper.”

~Terumo

Breakdown,

I don’t think the old Grow! is very good PWO either. If you look at the first ingredient, it says “calcium caseinate”

So I’d rather use Grow! for a meal replacement and save faster digesting proteins and carbs PWO.

Just my opinion,

Danny

[quote]Dboy wrote:
Breakdown,

I don’t think the old Grow! is very good PWO either. If you look at the first ingredient, it says “calcium caseinate”

So I’d rather use Grow! for a meal replacement and save faster digesting proteins and carbs PWO.

Just my opinion,

Danny[/quote]

I’m glad someone else caught this.

Low-Carb Grow! is not a rapidly digesting protein; it is a blend, with a rapidly digesting component from the whey in order to quickly increase aminos in the blood and spark protein synthesis, ALONG WITH a slower digesting protein component from the casein and milk protein in order to sustain aminos in the blood once the “whey spike” is over, in order to prevent muscle breakdown.

Its a combo of fast and slow.

That being said, its not, in theory, the best to use post workout. Whey and dextrose+maltodextrin would be a better choice, or DING DING DING …

Skim Milk, as per DOCTOR Berardi, and as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
…Low-Carb Grow! is not a rapidly digesting protein…[/quote]

No, it is not. However, the formulation of Low Carb Grow! is more suited for post-workout application. If you examine the labels, you will notice that Classic Grow! has a much higher concentration of casein proteins; whereas, Low Carb Grow! has a higher concentration of whey derivatives. This is why Low Carb Grow! would make a better PWO choice than Classic Grow!.

~Terumo

[quote]Terumo wrote:
NewDamage wrote:
…Low-Carb Grow! is not a rapidly digesting protein…

No, it is not. However, the formulation of Low-Carb Grow! is more suited for post-workout application. If you examine the labels, you will notice that Classic Grow! has a much higher concentration of casein proteins; whereas, Low Carb Grow! has a higher concentration of whey derivatives. This is why Low Carb Grow! would make a better PWO choice than Classic Grow!.

~Terumo[/quote]

Thank you all for answering my question. If neither are that fast absorbing then regrettably I think that I will have to use a powder that contains just whey isolate/hydrolates/BCAAs and no casein for the time being in PWO drinks.

I’ve only got a couple more years of my degree left - hopefully it will lead to a great job + some cash!!

untill then sorry TC - I feel bad now!