PWO Drink Help

evening lads and ladies,

even though it flies in the face of the intimate ties between Biotest and T-Nation, i was hoping some of you boffins can help me out with a replacement for Surge that mimics it as close as possible? i can’t get it over here and am too poor to order on the net.

cheers

I just drink a carb drink (grape juice) mixed with creatine followed immediately by a protein drink (whey protein). Maybe not optimal but OK.

If you cant do that either drink chocolate milk PWO, a source of carbs (lactose sugar) and WHEY protein.

Surge is damn good (BCAAS, hydrosylate whey, dextrose, maltodextrin) convenient, not that expensive based on quality of ingredients and it tastes good. Ideal carbs and fast absorbing protein protein/BCAAS.

What I use when too cheap to use Surge is two scoops of whey isolate (fruit flavored) and use same protein scooper size and also mix in one scoop of dextrose and one scoop of maltodextrin. Some people even put whey in grape/fruit juice or Gatorade.

I drink 1/3 just before, 1/3 during and 1/3 pwo. You ideally want carb to protein ratio 2:1 or some even advocate 3:1. I do not obese about exact ratios when making my own, close enough is good enough. If you want to obese about ratios nutritional information is readily available on internet and you may also need a scale.

Least desirable option, but better than nothing would be to just slam a glass of chocolate milk then 30 minutes to an hour later have a meal with protein and carbs (always a very, very good idea anyway).

If money, time and convenience are not major limitations and you want as close as possible to Surge then buy a digital scale, whey hydrosylate, BCAAS powder, maltodextrin, and dextrose and have fun perfecting and obsessing about pwo drink proportions. You will not save much money this way, it will taste like ass and hopefully you have lots of free time.

Some people just use BCAAS peri workout (especially when cutting), but I do not feel this is ideal because insulin spike is important from carbs even when cutting.

PWO nutrition is important and Surge is great but if you are poor I would again recommend just using an affordable whey protein and some carbs, ideally dextrose and maltodextrin (they are not always readily available but are not expensive). If you are poor and lazy add whey to grape juice (low acidity and glycemic index of 58 (dextrose is 100).

Higher glycemic index means higher insulin spike, but maltodextin and dextrose work better than just dextrose, but I will avoid science discussion as to why. 8oz of grape juice has about 40g of carbs one scoop of whey generally about 20 grams of protein. There you go 2:1 ratio, want more protein double proportions. If you take creatine add it to PWO drink. Make sure you are worrying about nutrition all day and not just PWO also.

Hope this helps. Want more info type pwo maltodextrin drink on Google.

good onya cobber, the grape juice and whey sounds like a nice option, i can’t be fecked with the exact proportions and that seems to approximate anyway. a mate of mine (paolo ‘the don’ todaro) has managed to move up to 140kg at 6’9 so it must work fairly well

[quote]icecold wrote:
Surge is damn good (BCAAS, hydrosylate whey, dextrose, maltodextrin) convenient, not that expensive based on quality of ingredients and it tastes good. Ideal carbs and fast absorbing protein protein/BCAAS.

What I use when too cheap to use Surge is two scoops of whey isolate (fruit flavored) and use same protein scooper size and also mix in one scoop of dextrose and one scoop of maltodextrin. Some people even put whey in grape/fruit juice or Gatorade.

I drink 1/3 just before, 1/3 during and 1/3 pwo. You ideally want carb to protein ratio 2:1 or some even advocate 3:1. I do not obese about exact ratios when making my own, close enough is good enough. If you want to obese about ratios nutritional information is readily available on internet and you may also need a scale.

Least desirable option, but better than nothing would be to just slam a glass of chocolate milk then 30 minutes to an hour later have a meal with protein and carbs (always a very, very good idea anyway).

If money, time and convenience are not major limitations and you want as close as possible to Surge then buy a digital scale, whey hydrosylate, BCAAS powder, maltodextrin, and dextrose and have fun perfecting and obsessing about pwo drink proportions. You will not save much money this way, it will taste like ass and hopefully you have lots of free time.

Some people just use BCAAS peri workout (especially when cutting), but I do not feel this is ideal because insulin spike is important from carbs even when cutting.

PWO nutrition is important and Surge is great but if you are poor I would again recommend just using an affordable whey protein and some carbs, ideally dextrose and maltodextrin (they are not always readily available but are not expensive). If you are poor and lazy add whey to grape juice (low acidity and glycemic index of 58 (dextrose is 100).

Higher glycemic index means higher insulin spike, but maltodextin and dextrose work better than just dextrose, but I will avoid science discussion as to why. 8oz of grape juice has about 40g of carbs one scoop of whey generally about 20 grams of protein. There you go 2:1 ratio, want more protein double proportions. If you take creatine add it to PWO drink. Make sure you are worrying about nutrition all day and not just PWO also.

Hope this helps. Want more info type pwo maltodextrin drink on Google.
[/quote]

great response.

Try this for pre-workout and 15-20 min. during workout:

12 oz Gatorade
1 TBSP Sugar
1/2 Scoop of Biotest whey (or about 10-11g whey protein)
5 grams creatine (optional)
8 oz of water

Shake and drink 12 oz 10 min. before workout. Then sip on the other 8 oz throughout your workout.

I also take 4 tablets Biotest BCAA’s 30 min. prior to workout, mid-workout, and after workout with the shake below.

Immediately after your workout (and no longer than 15 min. after):

5 TBSP Sugar
1 Scoop Biotest whey (or about 20-22g whey protein)
5 grams creatine (optional–however this is the best time to take it)
12-16 oz of water

This formula is based on if you are 200lb or over. It can be adjusted if you weigh less.

I know some of you will be outraged by this, but I got this out of a book called “Nutrient Timing”. I have been using it for the past couple of weeks and it seems to be working well.