T Nation

PWO Carbs for Fat Loss?

Two months ago I started working out again after an 8 month layoff. My primary focus has been fat loss and I had acquired a beer gut from college and the aforementioned sedentary period. I have lost 10 pounds in these 2 months (down from 211 to 201 with my lean mass staying constant, my bf % dropped from 20.6 to 17.3).

My diet has been as follows (I follow this religiously during the week and have cut most of the bad stuff out of my diet on weekends, ie copious amounts of alcohol).

Breakfast (around 6:30):
Optimum Oats and Whey 2 Scoops
8 oz Milk and about 8 oz water
CLA and Fish Oil

Lunch (around 11:30):
Apple, Carrots, Greek Yogurt, Turkey Sandwitch on Light Multigrain Bread, and a handful of almonds

Post Workout (around 5:30):
Protein Shake and a piece of fruit (usually an apple, sometimes a pear or banana)

Dinner (around 6:30):
Lean Meat (turkey or chicken or pork tenderloin) and veggies
Fish Oil and CLA

My question is this, in the past I had made great gains in strength, which up until now had been my primary focus by ingesting a good amount of carbs post workout (40-50g). I have been intentionally limiting carbs to try to kickstart fat loss and my lifts have been steadily increasing and am almost as strong now as I was before the long layoff. Should I start to slowly increase carbs postworkout, or just continue what I am doing until it stops working?

[quote]mccl8262 wrote:
I have been intentionally limiting carbs to try to kickstart fat loss and my lifts have been steadily increasing and am almost as strong now as I was before the long layoff. Should I start to slowly increase carbs postworkout, or just continue what I am doing until it stops working?[/quote]
If you’re currently happy with progress, I wouldn’t tweak things just yet.

When you do, though, simply shifting the post w/o carbs to before and/or during should give you a bump. As long as you’re training hard, “earning your carbs,” you can definitely keep losing fat while having a good hit of carbs before your workout.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]mccl8262 wrote:
I have been intentionally limiting carbs to try to kickstart fat loss and my lifts have been steadily increasing and am almost as strong now as I was before the long layoff. Should I start to slowly increase carbs postworkout, or just continue what I am doing until it stops working?[/quote]
If you’re currently happy with progress, I wouldn’t tweak things just yet.

When you do, though, simply shifting the post w/o carbs to before and/or during should give you a bump. As long as you’re training hard, “earning your carbs,” you can definitely keep losing fat while having a good hit of carbs before your workout.[/quote]

Like I need to even add on to what Chris said, but the last place I would ever cut carbs is from workout nutrition.

And he’s right about shifting them to before and during. Good stuff happens there.