PW Shake for Type I Diabetics?

I would appreciate any feedback on post-workout nutrition for Type I diabetics. To be honest, I’ve read some conflicting information on this subject with what little information that I’ve come across.

Considering my body produces no insulin, I’m not eliciting an actual insulin spike with your typical recovery shake. I would be interested in how benificial a product such as Surge would be to me. The protein aspect isn’t a problem but the carbohydrate aspect is a little cloudy to me.

If you wanna get the benefit of it, you probably ought to use a little insulin with the Surge after the workout. Otherwise it would be pretty worthless. G

I know Berardi says that even diabetics can good carbohydrate tolerance during the post workout period. It’d be great if he could point you in the right direction in terms of research.

[quote]GT625 wrote:
I know Berardi says that even diabetics can good carbohydrate tolerance during the post workout period. It’d be great if he could point you in the right direction in terms of research.[/quote]

I’m sure Berardi was referring to type 2’s though. This guy produces no endogenous insulin to increase sensitivity to. I’m not qualified to say too much here, but whatever you find out, have that testing meter handy. Teratos must be right though in your situation.

I would think you may have to play around some with dosage to see what’s safe and effective. I’m guessing strenuous excercise may produce a different requirement from a resting state, but I’m speculating here.

–Tiribulus->

Best thing to do is talk ot your doc. It would be helpful to see some post-workout fingersticks as well, so he/she can know where your blood sugar sitsm after a workout. Let him/her know you want to use Surge, and have the nutritional information handy. You can base insulin dose on the amount of carbohydrates.

Thanks for all the responses. I’m really not concered with a post workout drink such as Surge causing elevated glucose levels so much as I’m curious as to how beneficial the increased carbohydrates are post-workout considering my body doesn’t actually elicit an insulin spike.

I’m on a really flexable insulin plan whereby I only inject with a fast acting insulin upon eating so I have the luxury adjusting my insulin dose depending on my carbohydrate intake. Actually, I usually do follow the standard protocol of increased carbohydrate (through white bread, Powerade, etc.) along with whey protein. I’ve just been curious as to how much of an impact the carbohydrates have on recovery for a Type I diabetic.

On a total sidenote, if any diabetics are reading this (Type 1 or 2), chalk another benefit up to lifting heavy with compound exercises. This type of lifting has been a huge part of me maintaining good glucose levels for so long; far more helpful than your typical cardio sessions that are normall prescribed to most diabetics. Ha, and my endocrinologist made the statement once that he didn’t believe that weightlifting had much of an effect on glucose levels.