PW drink in this situation

We all know how important a PW drink is no matter what your goals.

But but do you think a post-workout drink is advisable if say you have a P+C meal right before your workout and you only workout for like 30-45 mins?

I figure that the nutrients would have hit your muscles during the workout (and after) the and a PW drink in this situation (especially when manintaining or cutting) would be excess. What are your thoughts?

What about a P+F meal?

Two questions:

Why are you eating a P+C meal “right before your workout”?

What kind of workout are you doing for “30-45 mins”?

A7,

Only because I think 'Chine’s such a P.I.M.P. shall I start out with a question of my own also:

Are you in anyway related to the steak sauce A1?:wink:

I all seriousness, onto your question.

A few things should be considered here:

1. What allows you to train the most intense and get the most out of your training session? I often think that this is overlooked, as there will be absolutely no need for any type of PW drink if the stimulus during the session was not adequate.

2. We realize that there really is a huge window of opportunity created by training. Therefore, the most important feeding(s) of the day occur during and in immediate hours after training. This is not to say that the other meals of the day are insignificant; rather, my point is that this timeframe should always be capitalized upon, no matter the training goal.

In my opinion, during and post-training meals are the most important of the day and other meals should be adjusted accordingly to meet your goals and to suit these aforementioned needs.

Machine, sometimes my schedule just works out that way.

Anyways, Timbizzo! Always gald to see you post! You must have a short memory because you have asked me that question before bro!

“What allows you to train the most intense and get the most out of your training session? I often think that this is overlooked, as there will be absolutely no need for any type of PW drink if the stimulus during the session was not adequate.”

My thoughts exactly! Sometimes I just run into the gym for like 30 mins to do some extra arm and/or shoulder work and I can’t help but feel that the PW drink is being wasted or going into ze fat cells.

Thanks for your input. It helped put things into perspective.

But getting deeper into that. I’ve read that execise depletes muscle glycogen by ~30%. Now, what it doesn’t say is how exhaustive the exercise was or if that was whole-body resistence training.

I doubt that say on a chest/bis ONLY day, you would deplete 30%. MAYBE 30% of the chest and bis.

What are your thoughts?

I think one should tailor the PW drink (or lack thereof) to suit the exercise performed instead of a fixed 50C/25P drink.

well what if your doing a anabolic/keto diet with 30 carbs aday and doing hte training w/maximal weights the 6x2-4? i don’t feel tired really, and only take 1 min between sets. i think we kinda touched on this before timbo, but i was at the 5x5 stage.

my workout today took me 40 minutes…but I still took my Surge

30-45 minutes is plenty of workout time to follow up with a pw shake.

i always train hard so i never ever feel like my pwo nutrition is going to waste. what is the point of going to the gym for a half assed workout?

if you are questioning your intensity i think you should address that before you worry about the pwo issue.

A7,

You’re right on several accounts.

I did, and I realized beforehand, that I had used that stale line before. Looks like this old dog better learn some new tricks.

As far as glycogen utilization goes, the body really only mobilizes glycogen from the active muscle. The amount that is utilized depends on several factors including, exercise intensity, duration, diet for days, and feedings immediately before exercise.

Generally, during a chest and bicep workout, only those muscle groups that are taxed will have glycogen mobilized.

For example, during a set of concentration curls, you’re not going to use glycogen from your gastroc.

However, if one is depleted of glycogen from the local musculature and/or the exercise is prolonged in nature, then the body will be able to mobilize glycogen from non-active musculature.

As far as your idea of “tailoring” the PW drink, Coach Poliquin had recommendations for CHO intake based on the number of repetitions performed in a training session.