PVC Squat Rack Is Trying to Kill Me

Well, pvc is actually around 8-10 kpsi or 8000-10000 psi ultimate compression strength which is a good bit stronger than i think all woods (albeit pvc pipe is not made with nearly as much cross sectional area).

Aside from buckling and stability issues, pvc is plenty strong to hold thousands of pounds (of course depending on design). Another small caveat is that pvc is pretty brittle. Don’t rack it too hard or it will chip or break. I’d like to see the design though. It sounds interesting.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
cormac wrote:
Well the alternative is to starve while I’m at work? Do you suggest that I whittle a wooden bowl from a tree or would it be contaminated by PCBs from our soil? Should I wrap my food in tinfoil or would it be contaminated by traces of heavy metals? Should I just bring farm animals to work and allow them to free graze, or? This is fear mongering at its worst. Nutrition and lifestyle are important matters, but naturally tradeoffs must be made. Science is supposed to lead to awareness, not irrational fear.

scott is right, be objective: if your plastic squat rack is supporting the weight you’re lifting right now you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

organic leaf bowls.[/quote]

guano bowls. Collect the whole set.

I use glass bowls with plastic lids.

[quote]Southbound wrote:
I use glass bowls with plastic lids.[/quote]

You must be really careful when you rack the weight.

I’m a bit disappointed in this thread…I was fully expecting a Youtube link of some dumbass using a PVC squat rack that collapsed under the weight of the creators stupidity.

:frowning:

[quote]medevac wrote:
I’m a bit disappointed in this thread…I was fully expecting a Youtube link of some dumbass using a PVC squat rack that collapsed under the weight of the creators stupidity.

:([/quote]

Thats what I thought. I feel like I was bated into a trap. PVC are you serious? Do you tie sandbags to the end of a PTO shaft so squat?