T Nation

PVC Squat Rack Is Trying to Kill Me

I was just reading the article, “Naked Truth: Xenoestrogens” and I came across the part where he says,

“As much as possible, try to keep soft plastics, especially polyvinyl chloride (PVC), out of your household”

Well… I have a squat rack I made out of PVC and it’s been sitting about six feet behind me and my computer where I spend pretty much most of my day working at my home office.

So is PVC really that bad that just having it in the same room as me I am getting those nasty xenoestrogens into my system?

Because I do exhibit some of the symptoms of having too many xenoestrogens in my body as described in the article.

So should I take a hatchet to my squat rack and through it out asap?

How strong is this squat rack?

If you’re not eating off it or heating it to high levels and breathing, then chemically speaking, you should be safe.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
If you’re not eating off it or heating it to high levels and breathing, then chemically speaking, you should be safe.[/quote]

This my understanding as well, but I have to also ask with FightingTiger how strong can a plastic squat rack be?

i think your being alittle bit of a hypochondriac. there shouldnt be anything to worry about and if it bothers you tht much do yourself a favor and just get rid of it

I don’t know if I would have that thing set up at my back either.

I don’t know what you’re squatting but I sure as hell wouldn’t be using a PVC rack for my squats. Nevermind xenoestrogens if you’re squashed like a bug.

I actually started laughing when I read this. I know plastics are bad but I eat my food out of tupperware containers and I’m still packing on muscle and popping boners when I see some nice t&a. And I don’t think there’s any breast tissue growing in either.

[quote]cormac wrote:
I know plastics are bad but I eat my food out of tupperware containers and I’m still packing on muscle and popping boners when I see some nice t&a.[/quote]

This is how I judge my health as well. And 3rd 4th whatever on the PVC rack. What are you lifting in that?

Well the alternative is to starve while I’m at work? Do you suggest that I whittle a wooden bowl from a tree or would it be contaminated by PCBs from our soil? Should I wrap my food in tinfoil or would it be contaminated by traces of heavy metals? Should I just bring farm animals to work and allow them to free graze, or? This is fear mongering at its worst. Nutrition and lifestyle are important matters, but naturally tradeoffs must be made. Science is supposed to lead to awareness, not irrational fear.

scott is right, be objective: if your plastic squat rack is supporting the weight you’re lifting right now you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

[quote]cormac wrote:
Well the alternative is to starve while I’m at work? Do you suggest that I whittle a wooden bowl from a tree or would it be contaminated by PCBs from our soil? Should I wrap my food in tinfoil or would it be contaminated by traces of heavy metals? Should I just bring farm animals to work and allow them to free graze, or? This is fear mongering at its worst. Nutrition and lifestyle are important matters, but naturally tradeoffs must be made. Science is supposed to lead to awareness, not irrational fear.

scott is right, be objective: if your plastic squat rack is supporting the weight you’re lifting right now you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.[/quote]

organic leaf bowls.

PVC squat rack… this is the greatest thread ever. Why not just hang some yarn from the ceiling to hold the weight up?

Just don’t chew on it or light it on fire and huff the fumes.

Guess we’ll never know how much he squats

[quote]cormac wrote:
Should I wrap my food in tinfoil or would it be contaminated by traces of heavy metals? [/quote]

No, dont wrap your food in tinfoil, you need all you can find to wear on your head so the death rays dont get you.

The reason this guy is lifting in a PVC squat rack is because he spends his time worrying about dumb shit like this and has no need for anything stronger.

[quote]cormac wrote:
Science is supposed to lead to awareness, not irrational fear.[/quote]

NO! This is America damnit!

Impressed by a PVC squat rack?

You should see my light bulb squat rack. It’s hella bright and shiny…weee…

General observation of my gym:
People with the “symptoms” you talk about tend to be the ones doing tricep kickbacks while balancing on a swiss ball and concentration curls balancing on one leg. I’m going to throw PVC squats into the same catergory. Do estrogenized men tend to pick these lifts, or these lift cause men to be estrogenized?

Either way, quit worrying about stupid shit (another feminine/xenoestrogen/bitch tits quality) and lift heavy shit. You will be worrying a lot less and those “symptoms” may just magically go away.

I wouldn’t trust the rack to hold the weight. PVC? is it solid? Get a steal rack, or build one out of wood.

PVC at four inch I believe can handle 250-300 psi. I suppose it is okay, but I have 2x6 technology at home.

As far as the other shit I have not a clue. I do not care as said before trade offs must be made.

If you are serious you should get a bullet proof e glazed glass dome to live in have your soil tested grow your own food. Raise your own chickens to stay away from red meat and pork. raise sheep for clothing so you don’t have to use polyester blends. While you are alone and have all the girls you know freaked out the sheep might come in handy.

Have your air purified, and water.
but how do you stay away from plastics and metals