T Nation

PVC Pipe Roller

I am going to Lowe’s to make my own this weekend, to deal with some scar tissue in my glute.

Anyone have advice about what size PVC pipe to use, etc? What diameter? How long did you cut it? Etc…

I’ve got plenty experience using the foam rollers at my gym, looking to upgrade on intensity a bit.

Thanks in advance~

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Lowe’s sells a 4" one that is already short enough. Get a baseball too for pinpoint soft tissue work.

scar tissue in the glute? Start with the roller, but don’t be surprised if you will want something with a smaller contact point.

Think tennis ball, softball, baseball, lacrosse ball. All will provide different intensities for it.

They sell massage balls that come in varying hardness.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
massage balls that come in varying hardness.[/quote]

This is a good link to help you out build one.

I like this one:

http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/HomemadeEquipmentIdeas

You wanna take a funnel (the bigger the better), fasten a 3/4" tube to it, tube should be atleast 4’ long, then attach a 3/4" valve…

[quote]pushharder wrote:
4" diameter. 42" length.[/quote]

I agree with the 4" diameter.

You may also want to get a 1-2ft long one for travel.

I also use a tennis ball for my feet and a lacrosse ball for glutes and calves and some upperbody stuff. For other upperbody stuff that I’m not too comfortable putting lots of pressure between a hard PVC and my spine/ribs, I use a lacrosse ball standing against the wall and just lean into it for more pressure.

Just like push and lavi said

Mine is 4" and 2 feet long. Bought it pre cut that way. Pretty common diameter and length, I thing for toilet to mainline drops.

Anyway, the PVC isle at Lowes should have it.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Just like push and lavi said

Mine is 4" and 2 feet long. Bought it pre cut that way. Pretty common diameter and length, I thing for toilet to mainline drops.

Anyway, the PVC isle at Lowes should have it.

[/quote]

Agreed, I think the pre cut piece was $4 or so. Hurts like hell at first but works magic on the muscles.

I had a 3" roller for about a year, and the other week I got my hands on a 4".
So much better :). I agree with the ~42" measurement, its nice to have room for both sides of your quads/hams/glutes, and your back as well.