T Nation

Putting Together My First Program...

hey guys, been lifting a while but never really put my own program together because i was scared i would fuck it up. well not anymore, i want to do my own shit and want to see what you guys think of what i came up with. i tried once before years ago but was told i put way too much shit in, but i guess let me know guys, thanks in advance

monday legs
front squats 2x10-12, 3x5-8
lunges 3x8-12
standing machine calf raises 1x10, 1x20, 1x30
standing calf raise body weight 3x10-20
sitting calf raises 1x10, 1x20, 1x30

tuesday chest and tris
flat db bench 2x10-12, 3x5-8
incline/decline bb bench 3x6-10
flies 3x8-12
close grip bench 3x4-6
skull crusher 3x8-12

edit**

guess i should add in that right now i am just trying to get my body looking good, adding on mass and really sculpting everything for the summer. through the year every couple months or so, i alternate between splits and total body routines.

thursday back and bis
deadlift 2x4-5, 2x3-4, 2x2-3
chins/pullups 3x10-12
one arm db rows 3x6-10
rhomboid pulls 3x10
reverse curls 3x8-10
hammer curls 2x12-15
wide grip preacher curl 1x25

saturday shoulders and legs
front squats 5x5
military press 2x10-12, 2x6-8
external rotations 2x15-20
face pulls 3x12-15
shrugs 4x4-6
overhead shrugs 2x10
standing db side raises 3x8-12

Just my 2 cents:

monday legs
front squats 2x10-12, 3x5-8
GHR or RDL or GM (medium to low reps)
lunges 3x8-12
standing machine calf raises OR standing calf raise body weight
sitting calf raises 1x10, 1x20, 1x30

tuesday chest and tris
flat db bench 2x10-12, 3x5-8
incline/decline bb bench 3x6-10
flies 3x8-12
close grip bench 3x4-6
skull crusher 3x8-12

thursday back and bis
deadlift 2x4-5, 2x3-4, 2x2-3
chins/pullups 3x10-12
one arm db rows 3x6-10
rhomboid pulls 3x10
BB curl (low reps)
reverse curls OR hammer curls 3x8-10 OR 2x12-15
wide grip preacher curl 1x25

saturday shoulders and legs
front squats 5x5 ???????
military press 2x10-12, 2x6-8
external rotations 2x15-20
face pulls 3x12-15
shrugs 4x4-6
overhead shrugs 2x10
standing db side raises 3x8-12

Why are you front squatting twice a week? If you want to do a secondary leg session, for hypertrophy you've better choose a different movement than the one you're doing on Monday; a couple of high-reps sets of leg press should work fine.

Sorry if I missed the rationale behind your choices, I just tried to cut off some redundant stuff. Train strong!

hey thanks alot man! i guess i never thought about leg presses, havent done them since high school. i cant do back squats, they hurt my lower back too much. will definitely put it to use

Front squats twice a week? Nothing terrible with that b/c you have a few differing rep/set ranges...but you might want to rethink that.

Also, no hamstring work?

I kinda imagined you had such an issue...in this case, be careful with leg press too: NEVER allow your lower back to raise from the seat, it would be the same that rounding it on back squat.

For hamstrings, I hope your gym has a Glute-Hams Raise machine, as I wonder if you can safely do any Good Morning or Romanian Deadlifts (as I suggested in my earlier post).
If you don't have access to a GHR machine, try "natural glute-hams raise" (just google it...) or high reps pull through (although they're not as effective).
As a last chance to get your hams working, you may try long step lunges (the longest the better) with shins perpendicular to the floor and upright torso (emphasys on hams...).

Other than that, enjoy your brand new program!

I like the 5x5 setup for front squats. I find front squats on the higher end of reps can be tough, cause your core/lowerback can get fatigued quicker then your legs. If you're going to do them in that higher rep I'd use a smith machine.

Or switch out monday front squats for say heavy hack squats (in a machine) or heavy leg pressing. Throw in a widow maker in there once in a while to for some brutal fun:D.

On monday you should add an exercise for hammies like some one else mention.

Sunday also add another hamstring exercise. Machines like leg curls and stuff stay on the lower rep area say 6-8 and things like romanian and stiff legged deadlifts you can go higher 8-12 rep area.

Yet some people can't handle doing to two types of deadlifts in the same week.

anyways in the grand scheme of things just lay something out and hammer it and progress up in weights and you should be satisified:D

right on, thanks alot guys i appreciate the feedback. i actually had good mornings and natural glute ham raises just forgot to put them on here