T Nation

Put On Your Shoes!!!

So today I was tucked away in the back corner of my gym doing deadlifts, minding my own business. I’ve been to lazy to get some proper shoes for DL’ing, so I was wearing my socks. I finished my last rep and turn around and one of the in house trainers looks like he is trying to tell me something. I see his mouth moving but all I hear is metallica in my headphones.

So I take off my headphones and say “sorry, I didn’t catch what you were saying”, “put on your shoes” he says. I was totally caught off guard and said in a confused voice “why?”. He proceeds to give me a long list of reasons why I need to put my shoes on, including, it’s bad for me, looks bad for the gym, blah blah blah.

I was in no mood to argue so I just said “fine” and put on my shoes.

Man I can’t wait to have my own setup or find a proper gym, all the chalk-ie, sock-footed deadlifitng I want! Until then, time to get some chuck taylors.

Their business, their rules.

Buy some chucks and glare more, people talk to you less.

i have also been yelled at for DL’ing without shoes. I got a lecture, which I ignored, but hey its posted on the wall… actually, I think it just says no open-toed shoes. AHA.

[quote]kkeane wrote:
i have also been yelled at for DL’ing without shoes. I got a lecture, which I ignored, but hey its posted on the wall… actually, I think it just says no open-toed shoes. AHA. [/quote]

I finally got some Chucks. I don’t look as dorky as I thought I would in them. Seems to be the best way to go until I have my own setup. I have been using the Nike frees lately as well.

I was reading about the frees…everyone seems to like them. Have to take a look at them. The chucks do have a unique look,but hey, it’s for a purpose, like ghost said…maybe I’ll glare more…hahaha

Get bigger and don’t smile. People tend to avoid fucking with you at all…for anything.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Get bigger and don’t smile. People tend to avoid fucking with you at all…for anything.[/quote]

Haha. Yep.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Get bigger and don’t smile. [/quote]

And shave your head and grow a goatee. Only small children will see through the fascade.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Get bigger and don’t smile.

And shave your head and grow a goatee. Only small children will see through the fascade.[/quote]

Children aren’t filled with bias yet, but they still don’t test someone that much bigger than their dads unless you let them know it’s ok, goatee or not.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Get bigger and don’t smile.

And shave your head and grow a goatee. Only small children will see through the fascade.[/quote]

hahaha…too funny

I’ll just tell you who you’re not as bad as. There was a guy who came into where I worked out,who started doing lateral raises wearing those slippers with the bunny faces on them. I shit you not. Fucking big fuzzy ones. He wasn’t trying to be funny.

He was one of those “go against the flow even if it is really stupid” attention-getting people and he just took it too far. Yes, this was college. I have no doubt he is out in the real world now though, still annoying the shit out of people.

ask the dude if it increased his deadlift and squat.

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:
I’ll just tell you who you’re not as bad as. There was a guy who came into where I worked out,who started doing lateral raises wearing those slippers with the bunny faces on them. I shit you not. Fucking big fuzzy ones. He wasn’t trying to be funny.

He was one of those “go against the flow even if it is really stupid” attention-getting people and he just took it too far. Yes, this was college. I have no doubt he is out in the real world now though, still annoying the shit out of people.[/quote]

Did he yell “Unconventional” after every set?

DB

Just got some chuck’s…wanted the nike frees but no where had my size. Definitely getting some frees when my size is in, unreal how comfortable they are.

[quote]Gymguy17 wrote:
Just got some chuck’s…wanted the nike frees but no where had my size. Definitely getting some frees when my size is in, unreal how comfortable they are.

[/quote]

I bought the Free’s several months ago and started wearing them non-stop. I beat the shit out of them and they are all roughed up, which is sad, but they are hella comfortable.

Now that I am home from school, I work out in my basement, and can squat and DL in barefooted bliss.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Children aren’t filled with bias yet, but they still don’t test someone that much bigger than their dads unless you let them know it’s ok, goatee or not.[/quote]

This is true.

I am down to 220ish, so I am not huge, but I am big. My daughter’s friends are scared shitless of me. I can only hope it extends to her male suiters as well in the next couple of years.

I can see the owner’s logic.

You stub your toe on a weight, or drop a weight on your foot, because you are barefoot you are more likely to get injured, therefore he’s more likely to have the hassle of having to apply first aid, use his insurance, or get his cheque book out if you sue.

i ripped a callous dealifting and bled on the bar. when i was finished i was cleaning the bar with a towel and some purell from the wall dispenser and trainer guy came over to tell me “you need to wear gloves next time”.

i responded something like " no big deal, i just have to cut the bumps down " and then he came back with " no really, if you’re going to deadlift you need to wear the proper SAFETY EQUIPMENT ".

i wear flip flops for deadlifts at the local gym here. very cheap and flat footwear so it is good for me. i think in the summertime they aren’t too picky what we wear.

f