Put On Some Mass After Strength Training

I started getting serious about working out about 2 years ago and like many beginners I used the Starting strength program. I had some injuries and setbacks the first year so I was a bit off and on but after getting that together I was able to go from 187 to 228 pounds but had a bloated fat gut so I went and lost a lot of weight using rapid fat loss and basically reduced calories after that. After a few months I was down to 185 pounds and didnt maintain my strength.

At my peak I was benching 230 for 5 reps, military 155 for 5 reps, squated 325 for 5 reps and deadlifted 365 for 5 reps. I never really hit a peak where I wasnt gaining anymore I just felt too fat and bloated yet was still pretty skinny everywhere else but the stomach.

After all of this I decided to gain back my strength using Rippetoes starting strength for a while again then focus on putting on size. For my last workouts I squatted 255, benched 195, deadlifted 330, and military pressed 125 at a weight of 200 pounds.

I’m really anxious to start putting on some size because I’m dissapointed with my lack of gains over the past 2 years for all of the time and energy I put into it. Right now I’m progressing pretty easily with everything probably due to muscle memory.

My question is would it make sense to keep doing this until I can at least squat 350 and deadlift 400 and bench over 225 then get on a mass building routine.

Also I really like the idea of squatting deadlifting military pressing and benching at least every 3 or 4 days. Are there any good routines that you can recommend thats not a 1 bodypart a week type split where I can still do these main lifts close to twice a week at least and still be focusing on mass.

Do yourself a favor and start training more like a bodybuilder. If you like a higher frequency you can always use a 3 day push/pull/legs split, focusing on one big lift (bench, dead, squat) and following it with isolation work. You could rotate it over 4 or 5 days, depending on the volume you use and how well you recover.

Way to not take Chris’s advice in the exact same thread you posted in the beginner’s forum… you are forever doomed to failure…

Why do you insist on doing the big lifts twice a week? Your best bet is doing a bodybuilding program that includes the lifts, don’t try to make some strength program you already have in mind work for bodybuilding purposes.

This is exactly the type of thread I’ve been talking about that you always see from people that have done starting strength for an extended period of time. If looking good is anywhere on your list of goals, stop doing programs that neglect training bodyparts…

Wendler 5/3/1 with BB accessories.

[quote]RedState wrote:
Wendler 5/3/1 with BB accessories.[/quote]

what he said.

I still have basketball dreams I’m 6 foot 4 and 28 years old I realize I wasted my height by not getting strong and getting a high vertical jump when I was younger, so the only reason I really want to continue strength training is I don’t want to wonder what if when I’m 50 I’m curious to see how it’d feel like to play pickup games able to do crazy dunks with a 35 inch vertical, so I have this thought that a 500 pound deadlift and 400 squat would give me this ability.

I also want to put on a lot of size. Ive been skinny my whole life, I’m naturally around 187 without lifting so I want to experience what it’d be like having big muscles and looking good to see how it would improve my success with attractive women.

So basically I have these 2 goals and I want to make significant progress on these in the next 2 years by 30. I’m pretty sure my squat will be over 300 in 2 or 3 weeks, deadlifts IM sure I can get around 375. It will def get harder from there I need a good plan of action to get my squat up 100 pounds and deadlift up 125 while also building good muscle size. Any ideas on a good plan for this? I’m thinking either keep doingw. . starting strength using micro plates and add more accessory exercises ESP on Friday, going on the Texas method w extra accessories, or an upper lower split where I squat and deadlift 2 times a week and focus on upper body mass. I like 531 but want to save that for wen progress is harder to make

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
This is exactly the type of thread I’ve been talking about that you always see from people that have done starting strength for an extended period of time. If looking good is anywhere on your list of goals, stop doing programs that neglect training bodyparts…[/quote]
This guy’s situation has absolutely nothing at all to do with Starting Strength. There’s no point in bringing this up.

He’s been asking variations of the same one or two questions for going-on two years and he’s been basically ignoring any advice he receives. Above is a snapshot from one of his threads last year asking for a program to build size and strength. Three weeks after that, he started another thread; two weeks later, another new thread; One day after that, another new thread; a few months later, another one; and here we are again with one thread started two weeks ago and now this one.

While I’m in a screeshot-y mood, I’m going to remind myself of something I wrote in one of your bajillion previous threads.

I’m out. Best of luck.

Doggcrapp

This is exactly the type of thread I’ve been talking about that you always see from people that have done starting strength for an extended period of time. If looking good is anywhere on your list of goals, stop doing programs that neglect training bodyparts…[/quote]

No offense to you, but I can’t understand the logic your point. He seems to lack muscle EVERYWHERE, not just on the muscle group he ‘‘neglect’’ on starting strenght .

Looking at the number the dude is lifting, I don’t see how switching from a 5 rep scheme to a 8-12 rep scheme would make him blow the fuck up. He might have past the beginner stage and can’t make linear progression as fast anymore, but if the dude is so weak, I fail to see how a higher rep range type of workout would magically put tons of meat on him.

Size and strength are two entirely separate goals… and lol to the post above yours…

[quote]GTFOmyPowerRack wrote:

No offense to you, but I can’t understand the logic your point. He seems to lack muscle EVERYWHERE, not just on the muscle group he ‘‘neglect’’ on starting strenght .

Looking at the number the dude is lifting, I don’t see how switching from a 5 rep scheme to a 8-12 rep scheme would make him blow the fuck up. He might have past the beginner stage and can’t make linear progression as fast anymore, but if the dude is so weak, I fail to see how a higher rep range type of workout would magically put tons of meat on him.[/quote]

Looking at the number the dude is lifting, I don’t see how switching from a 5 rep scheme to a 8-12 rep scheme would make him blow the fuck up. He might have past the beginner stage and can’t make linear progression as fast anymore, but if the dude is so weak, I fail to see how a higher rep range type of workout would magically put tons of meat on him.[/quote]

Before everyone jumps on this guy, be aware that he’s an idiot.

Exhibit A:

Pick one goal and stick to it!

dude starting strength is not a program for the long term
MO(i’ve never actually ran it) is that it’s highly overrated
and one of the few benefits from it is that newbs get to practice
the compound movements regularly.

You’ve been at it for a while if your goals are to get to an
XXX squat and an XXX deadlift like you said it would be wise to
follow the advice that has been given 5/3/1 with BB assistance.

Once you get up to squatting and Deadlifting so much; doing so
with such frequency and on the same day can be counterproductive
and hindering potential gains that could be made with a more
intelligently designed program.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Size and strength are two entirely separate goals… and lol to the post above yours…

[/quote]

Let’s not make it a fuking stupid debate about strenght vs hypertrophy, The dude don’t need to train like a fullblown powerlifter, but show me all those HUGE weak guy… All the big dude I saw IRL were strong.

My only point was that is weak lift go hand in hand with his poor muscular developement.

No offense to you, but I can’t understand the logic your point. [/quote]

You clearly don’t since none of the points you tried to refute are in my original post, lol.

The funny thing is my lifts aren’t that weak at all I was just wasn’t rushing the increases on starting strength to regain the lost strength. I’m confident I will be be benching 225 deadlifting 375 and squating 325 in 3 weeks which is about where I left off early last year. I don’t think thats too bad for a skinny 200 pound guy I don’t see most of the big people at the gym even doing that. I’m curious would 531 def be better than a push pull split or upper lower

I was thinking about doing this upper lower split

Upper A
bench press 3 x 6-8
rows 3 x 6-8
incline dumbell press 3x 8-10
lat pull down 3 x 8-10
lateral raises 2 x 10-12
tricep pushdowns 2 x 10-12
dumbell curls 2x 10-12

Lower A
Deadlifts 3 x 6-8
leg press 3 x 10-12