Pussy-itis, Do You Have It?

I sweat like a whore in church at the gym. Maybe its also the supps I take, but WTF, I got no problem with it, maybe those around me do.

I lift an atrocious amount of weight compared to some. But I’m making gains. I am ticked off by some of the younger guys that get in my way.

I am 1/2 tempted to get a basic bench going in my garage so I can lift in relative peace and not have to wade through a sea of people who really aren’t into it.

BG

BG

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
A couple of weeks ago a young (college) guy came up to me and just asked “Don’t you sweat?”

After my blank stare he rephrased, asking why I wore a long sleeve shirt in the gym because wouldn’t I sweat alot. He went on to comment he had seen some of the big guys do it as well. He shrugged and went back to watch the TV.

I was on the warm-up sets of my first exercise. Much later he would not have had to ask.[/quote]

I have started doing that also. For one, it helps with a warm up for upper body work. It also keeps people from staring the moment you set foot in the gym for the most part. They can tell you are big, but you don’t get the weird looks like you belong in a zoo (strange that happens at a gym at all). It isn’t that I care that people stare, but more that it helps me get into the right frame of mind because I am not thinking about it at all.

I usually either walk in wearing a sweat shirt or a decent sized t-shirt. I take that off once I start sweating really good though.

For some reason my forearms feel better when I have something on them. Plus, it is damn cold in my gym most of the year. This morning at 5 a.m. the thermometer read 48 F-- indoors. I had to wear sweat tops and bottoms. They absorbed my sweat nicely.

I am not counting me in this, but nearly all the big guys at my gym start in sweats/long sleeves/etc. whereas there smaller guys tend to wear tanks or cut off sleeves.

I wonder if there is something to that…

For the record, I wrote this for the most part because I am tired of seeing several posts commenting that some newbie gained 10lbs in a year but somehow gained so much fat with it that he now needs a crash diet filled with nothing but protein shakes.

First, if it took you an entire year to gain 5-10lbs, you had better be pretty damned developed already and nearly all of that gain was muscle or chances are you suck when it comes to intensity in the gym.

You don’t get a prize for going through the motions. It doesn’t matter if you have impressed everyone with “5x5” or any other random number sequence. If you have left no blood on the floor, no one gives a shit what wonderful routine you’ve chosen.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
For some reason my forearms feel better when I have something on them. Plus, it is damn cold in my gym most of the year. This morning at 5 a.m. the thermometer read 48 F-- indoors. I had to wear sweat tops and bottoms. They absorbed my sweat nicely.

I am not counting me in this, but nearly all the big guys at my gym start in sweats/long sleeves/etc. whereas there smaller guys tend to wear tanks or cut off sleeves.

I wonder if there is something to that…[/quote]

There is. If I am going to be stared at, I would rather it be when I am hitting it hard and not upon walking into the gym and setting up to lift heavy.

I’ve seen pros do this before. Dexter Jackson does it. He starts in a full shirt or sweats and then removes it once he gets a pump going. I think it just helps with focus.

Once you get to a certain size, you expect someone is going to stare at you. It isn’t that it bothers you, but I would rather have my mind on what I am doing alone.

X–have you been reading the V-Diet 3.o pages?

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
X–have you been reading the V-Diet 3.o pages?[/quote]

Nope.

I bet I can tell what goes on there without even using my telepathic abilities.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tex Ag wrote:

I wonder if there is something to that…

There is. If I am going to be stared at, I would rather it be when I am hitting it hard and not upon walking into the gym and setting up to lift heavy.

I’ve seen pros do this before. Dexter Jackson does it. He starts in a full shirt or sweats and then removes it once he gets a pump going. I think it just helps with focus.

Once you get to a certain size, you expect someone is going to stare at you. It isn’t that it bothers you, but I would rather have my mind on what I am doing alone.[/quote]

I wondered if it had to do with no longer needing the mirror to encourage or reward, but rather the feel of the movement and its aftermath was enough. (see: mirror ab references above)

I do not know if I am stared at, not large enough to expect it, but I move around a bit with blinders on once I get started. My wife has told me I get some interesting looks. Probably because I will blow sweat off my nose when it comes dripping down after a heavy set…

If you have left no blood on the floor, no one gives a shit what wonderful routine you’ve chosen.[/quote]

This reminded me of the other day when I ripped up my left shin on sumo deadlifts. I was bleeding a little, but hadn’t noticed and still had 4 or 5 sets to get in. I went to grab the bar and noticed people were looking at me funny. Now, it’s Bally total fitness and I’ve only ever seen one other guy deadlift over 225 there, so I assume they are eyeballing the 405 on the bar - whatever.

After my set a guy came up all freaked out that I was bleeding and straining myself. Seriously, there was like 2 small drops of blood, not like I was going to bleed out or anything and all the reps went up smooth as well. I told him I was fine, but I think he was still freaked out. People are huge pussies when it comes to getting uncomfortable to get results.

When I walk into the gym I know exactly what I am going to be doing for the next 2 hours.

You:

1. Ask your skinny buddy if you should work chest or arms first today.
  2. Wonder aloud if you should bench 135 or 155 today.
  3. Exclaim loudly you’re ‘Bangin’ out 10’, struggle to unwrack the weight, bounce the bar off your chest 3 times on your own volition and then make your buddy work harder than you to ‘spot’ you the last 7 reps.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

I wondered if it had to do with no longer needing the mirror to encourage or reward, but rather the feel of the movement and its aftermath was enough. (see: mirror ab references above)
[/quote]

We ALWAYS need the mirror.

LOL.

[quote]jstines wrote:
Professor X wrote:
If you have left no blood on the floor, no one gives a shit what wonderful routine you’ve chosen.

This reminded me of the other day when I ripped up my left shin on sumo deadlifts. I was bleeding a little, but hadn’t noticed and still had 4 or 5 sets to get in. I went to grab the bar and noticed people were looking at me funny. Now, it’s Bally total fitness and I’ve only ever seen one other guy deadlift over 225 there, so I assume they are eyeballing the 405 on the bar - whatever. After my set a guy came up all freaked out that I was bleeding and straining myself. Seriously, there was like 2 small drops of blood, not like I was going to bleed out or anything and all the reps went up smooth as well. I told him I was fine, but I think he was still freaked out. People are huge pussies when it comes to getting uncomfortable to get results. [/quote]

My right shin always used to bleed before I started wearing big socks. Just a minor bit of blood…I’d always wipe the bar off with handi wipes after I finished and it wasn’t like there was a lot of blood on the bar anyway.

One time a guy came over and wiped the bar down while I was standing about 20 feet away in between sets…I didn’t say a word…next set…same thing…so…I politely said…(while totally breathing heavy, but still very politely)…“hey, thanks, but I always wipe the bar down when I’m done”…he said…“yeah…but…no telling what’s in your blood with whatever you’re on”…

For the record I weigh 200 lbs…not exactly hyooge.

My ‘gym’ is in the office building I work in, so I’m always careful not to do or say anything since I don’t know if someone in the gym could be someone that could cause me professional trouble. I was comletely surprised by this anyway, so kind of looked at him completely perplexed and said, "I’m not on anything’…he said ‘yeah right’ and I haven’t ineracted with him since…

[quote]sen say wrote:
“yeah…but…no telling what’s in your blood with whatever you’re on”…

For the record I weigh 200 lbs…not exactly hyooge.

[/quote]

Dude, you could seriously be radioactive. NO ONE gets to 200lbs without being on some serious shit. Look what happened to Bruce Banner. Happy little scientist one minute, radioactive blood puking green mutant giant the next.

I wish you and your gigantic gorilla brothers would just leave us innocent little NORMAL people alone!

I thought this thread was pussy-itis as in…completely obsessed with pussy.

In that case yes.

I wish you and your gigantic gorilla brothers would just leave us innocent little NORMAL people alone!
[/quote]

No chance little fellah.

Back on topic:

-When I get to the gym, I have been looking forward to being here all day, I have been eating and drinking to make sure my body is at its best to do what I have planned to do, I am so fucking excited I have been pretending Darth Vader’s theme song is playing while I walk through the locker room and into the gym.

You:
"Don’t feel like being here on a Monday (substitute any day of the week) !!

HA! Funny but so true. When I’m there, I take care of business. I’m on and I don’t have the mentality to speak, flirt, or check someone else out but myself moving the iron. Its me, the target muscle, and the iron. Thats it. Nothing else matters. When the plates stop moving and the last DB is racked, then I’m open to normal social functions.

I hate affliction shirts. 70 bucks for a T-Shirt that is about to fall apart! Fucking garbage.

My favorite, and I see this everytime I go to the gym, are the kids who load up the bench bar with 50+pounds over there max, do not touch there chest on the way down and have the spotter hoist the bar off them for multiple reps screaming, “it’s all you bro.”

They probably think the people staring at them are doing so because they’re impressed, but then again I don’t know why they would think someone laughing in their faces would signal that they’re impressed.

Pretty pathetic.

Anyways sweating in the gym is not outdated. ANyone serious busts there ass. There are just to many wannabes sometimes to notice the people who are actually lifting and living the bodybuilding lifestyle how it should be lived.

-By my last set I have sweated so much and put so much into it, I feel like my throat has been dissected and left in a dune in the Sahara desert thus forcing me to the water fountain.

When you finish your last set, you:
a) Let go of the weight in mid-rep so your “spotter” can shrug it back into place (PS, great traps on that guy!)
b) Realize that you and three friends are actually doing a “circuit” and will be taking up three HS machines for the next 45min as all of you flail 14" arms around and grunt
c) Go refill your 5 gallon water jug while an entire line of people forms behind you at the water fountain despite the fact that you actually weigh MORE now than you did when you first walked in while showing off how your white cotton pullover cargo Tee from Old Navy is pristine and “club ready”.
d) Go tell the manager that the big guy next to you is making you nervous by flinging those heavy objects around so carelessly and it makes you feel bad so they can flip on the “lunk alarm” and set them straight.

This test will not be graded on a curve.

[quote]patrickk wrote:
I hate affliction shirts. 70 bucks for a T-Shirt that is about to fall apart! Fucking garbage.[/quote]

Not to jack the thread but has anyone noticed everyone is now wearing Ed Hardy T-Shirts too? I mean, WTF? If you can spend $60 - 100 on a workout shirt, then more power to you I guess…