Pushing 60 Years Old

Score on the leftovers, Cav. Good on you for finding time & motivation to lift. You will be an asset wherever you end up job-wise.

Be careful bowling, it may cause muscle imbalances. I recommend granny style with a quality hip hinge. Focus on the muscle not the movement hahahaaaa.

Best of luck with the job hunting / interviews Cav!

do you have any specific goal?

/br bonoboschimp

Goal is general building up all over. Size and strength.

Just signed up for a file clerk job. Only a month, but recruiter says it could be extended. Hope so. Doesn’t pay a lot, but will be enough to start eating and going back to gym.

1 Like

Well, just finished my first week at the new job. I am BEAT. Crawling around, climbing up, pulling files, filing files is a lot of work. My back has been screaming the whole time.

Then there’s the boxes of files. They seem to weight about 50 lbs. Boss had me carry some of the around. After a few minutes, she took me aside and said “Are we asking you to do anything too strenuous? Please let us know.” I said no, no, everything’s fine, I’ll do it. Because the absolutely last thing I need is for anyone to say “You can’t do the job, you’re fired”. That happened to me a lot as a teenager, I lost several jobs because I was just too frail to do them.

Because of money problems, I haven’t been eating much in the past few months. I plan to start getting more meat in my system and lots of calories.

thats the spirit. unless of course, the work is actually too strenous, there is a line that should not be cfrossed. wish you the best with your work.

been following ur log for some time, hope u dont mind me adding my 02.

/br bonoboschimp

Cavalier,

Great and extensive BLOG, but I haven´t seen any photo of you, or have you posted and I missed it? Please add the link or post a photo,

I¨m almost your age and just stating out, the blog is good inspiration!
Best!

Not at all, I welcome visitors.

I haven’t posted much in the way of photos cuz I really don’t like photos taken of me. A few years back I did post a video of squatting or deadlifting or something, would take forever to find it.

Okay, found a video from 5 years ago.

Damn, T Nation won’t let me upload a vid. Hold on …

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply…

Just upload it to Youtube and put the link here, very easy!

Best regards!

Still doing the file clerk job. Only thing I could get to pay the bills. Should be done in a month or so. Wears me out so much I just don’t have time or energy to hit the gym. Grr.

Bought pair of pants yesterday. Used to be 42 waist, now can get into 36. Trimmed up a lot. At home, pulled out the band and played around. Some chest pulls, wrap around back and do a kind of bench press, stand on them and stiff leg deads. That sort of think. Didn’t do too much because I need to rest up from work. Okay, maybe it’s not so much the physical activity as the boring, monotonous nature of it. Still, impressive how much oomph I put into it.

I am simply dying to get back to the gym. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

I hear ya on low paying jobs that take a lot out of you. But at least we have something. Just don’t let any boxes fall on you (that would happen to me).

Thought this would be the last week of the file clerk job, but no. Turns out there never was a time limit, manager will keep me until she decides otherwise. Never had a contract working like that. Job is a one hour commute each way and so much physical labor I don’t have the energy to work out even if I have the time. Gym membership ran out, don’t have money to renew. Job pays above minimum wage, but not by much.

One the other hand, have leaned up like crazy. Still not close to shredded, but lost inches off waist. Had to get a new pair of pants and new belt. Waist can now take a 36 pants waist, but I got a 38 and the thighs are still tight. Still have a little muscle there.

Knees are in lousy shape. Taking care of them, but job has really beat on them.

Still talking with other recruiter about web design job. Only a few miles from where I live, much more fun, and pay twice as much. But have been so burned by job hunt in last year that I just have no hope left.

3 Likes

File clerk will finally end in two weeks. THANK. GOD. Not only is it physically brutal, but the boss is a real bitch who can’t stop until everyone has a headache.

Still leaning up. Got a new belt. While the pants are a 38, that’s still awfully tight on my thighs. The belt is a 36. A couple weeks later, I had to take the belt another notch in. Holy cow. I am just crying to get back in the gym and see if I can’t put some size on.

Been talking to some people about whatever my next job will after this. Yesterday I went to a seminar at the community college I used to teach at. I’m still on the system. The dept head feels sorry for me and may be able to find a class or two to teach in Spring. If I can get the other dept to find me something, I could do it. Problem is what do I do until then? Not enough money to survive several months. Tired of feeling so screwed.

2 Likes

Have you thought about doing some training through Wyzant or one of those types of online learning sites, just for now? It can be kind of scatty but you’d get some money. And then you could write off things like internet and phone off of your taxes???

I have been reading your blog all day. On a launch lock down here at work. You hang in there. I am 57 and have been working out off and on since I was in high school. I just dropped 54 pounds and feel great. I will continue to follow you. Good luck with the job hunt.

Hi Cav. just because I am nosey, what did you teach?

Computer science, game development, motion graphics. Fun stuff. But the school decided it wasn’t being stingy enough with the adjuncts and cut our pay.

The job from hell is finally over. Spent the last day moving file boxes around, plenty of exercise. I’ve leaned up, no idea what my weight is. Dying to get back to the gym and see what I can do. Don’t have much money, can’t afford a big membership right now. Talking with recruiters, a couple think I should get something in a week or two. At any rate, will apply for unemployment, I should qualify.