Pushing 60 Years Old

:cold_sweat: I don’t know what to say, stay strong.

Well, just say the same thing you say when it happens to you. Or to everyone else. It does happen to everyone, doesn’t it? DOESN’T IT?? Surely it’s not the case that everyone is making a personal attack on ME, is it??

Deadlift
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 5
amazing, that one was parallel grip yet had good grip all the way through. Guess my grip is growing, barely, just barely, a tiny amount
255 x 2

Hammer DB curl
30 x 4
30 x 4
30 x 3
weight’s just a bit high on this one, wish the gym had 27’s, may have to rethink this.

Thurs

Squat
95 x 7
135 x 5
165 x 5
195 x 4
doing better, just about all of those got low.

Leg curl
90 x 12
120 x 10
140 x 6

Sat.

Bench
65 x 6
95 x 6
125 x 5
145 x 1
decided to keep the last one to one rep, didn’t want to risk hitting failure on more reps

Incline bench
75 x 5
115 x 4

Tri Pulldown, straight bar
80 x 7
90 x 7
110 x 5
arm feeling better

Deadlift
95 x 7
135 x 6
195 x 3
that one was parallel grip, seems like grip is growing very tiny
255 x 1
not too hard,will go 265 next time

Still irks me I pulled 275 six years ago, won’t be happy till I can go past that

Decided to go back to chins for arms and lats

Half chins
almost full chins

strange, the big chins didn’t work arms as hard as the others.

Squat
95 x 7
135 x 6
175 x 5
205 x 2
low on everything, even the 205

Leg Curl
100 x 12
140 x 7

Haven’t posted much, busy with job hunting. Nothing yet. Unemployment benefits ran out. Bank account will blow out in about a month or two, so have gone to complete cut-to-the-bone spending. Stop going to gym and go to one meal a day.

Last week’s bench session
Bench
65 x 9
95 x 7
125 x 6
150 x 1
this was an absolute grinder, I swear my arms were going to snap any moment and have the bar slam onto my throat.

Incline bench
75 x 6
120 x 2
120 x 2
lost strength from last week, these sets were killers, had to strain with everything I had and then some.

Tuesday’s deadlift
95 x 8
135 x 7
195 x 4
265 x 0
really shocked by that, was sure I would get it, but it only got a few inches up before slamming down.
245 x 1
245 x 1
245 x 1
245 x 1
245 x 1

Dug out my old records from six years ago. Benching and lifting exactly the same now as back then. This is after steady work of hard, strenuous lifting, eating plenty, lots of sleep. This includes the year I spent at Ludus Magnus with world class people pushing me as hard as possible.

So I realize that 150 bench and 250 deadlift are the genetic limits for adult man. My squat has improved to 200, but that’s because my form needed rebuilding.

Good luck with the job hunting. I understand how hard that can be, but you have to eat. It will serve NO purpose letting yourself get run down.

1 Like

Hey Cav how are you making out in the job search? Don’t know where you are (VA, Cavalier???) but there are lunch programs offered by churches near me. It’s not usually primo food, but it’s something in your belly to fuel the job hunt. In the town I’m in in the Northeast there is a free lunch at a Presbyterian Church & when I was in CA, there was a program at a Jewish community center. The Jewish center was my go to health clinic too. Held on Sundays & had TONS of food to eat & some non perishable to take home if you needed.

Keep your head up, Cav. It’s always darkest before dawn :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh man Cav, I hope everything works out. It usually does. Yes don’t let yourself get run down (says the person who just let herself do that :frowning: )

I’m in Ohio. Last job didn’t last long enough for unemployment benefits or to save anything. Now looking into food stamps.

Stripped spending to the bone, have about one month to go, then account implodes and get evicted. Applied, applied, nothing. Can’t believe how stringent people are nowadays for hiring, they make you take online tests which go goofy for no reason.

Some friends have lent me money, which has helped. I can go another month before everything runs out. Still have cut food down a lot. I’ve lost about 20 pounds in the past 6 weeks, even without working out. No idea when the food stamps will come, they’re taking their sweet time with that.

Had a job interview last week, recruiter says they like me and want another interview. This better lead to something, tired of job hunting.

Wishing you the best, Cav!

Keeping our fingers crossed. Good luck!

Lost about 15 pounds over the past 2 months because I had to cut back so much on food. Gotta save every penny until a job comes through. Applied for food stamps couple of months ago, but they screwed up and lost the paperwork or something.

So I couldn’t go to the gym since it would just increase my appetite and make me eat more. But was absolutely going stir-crazy and broke down and went on Saturday.

Bench
65 x 12
95 x 5

Seat row
60 x 14

Squat
95 x 10

OH press
45 x 10

Lifting was very stressful. Really had to put effort into it. Wasn’t even sure I could finish the squats or the presses. Which is depressing. Went home and ate a bit more than usual. Had a little DOMS the next day, nothing bad. A bit of a pump.

1 Like

Got a job offer today. It’s only for the summer, and the hours are long, but it’ll pay the bills.

Had an interview today. They have a great position at normal hours and good pay, but only for 3 months. They will let me know tomorrow noon whether I get it. If yes, I’m grabbing it. If not, I have to take the first one.

So I have a job for the summer, but no idea yet what it is.

2 Likes

The interview fell through. Recruiter said they went with someone who was “better”. With my skills and experience, I have no idea how that’s possible. Anyway, I’m stuck with the summer camp position. Long hours and pay that’s barely adequate. Don’t even know if I’ll have time to hit the gym - really! Don’t want that to happen.

1 Like

Translation: They went with someone that was young so they would do what they are told, and never question it. Whether it be right or wrong.

Sorry to hear this. The other may not be great, but it beats starving. Keep hanging in there, and keep looking. Something better will come along.

Cav, I’m new over here and just read a few of your posts in this thread. Your original post is so interesting to me. Both me and my girlfriend have had health issues that have been ignored by mainstream health care, and found relief with the non conventional stuff. Your story definitely rings a bell with me.

Keep working at it and best of luck with the job situation. Keep positive, send positive vibes and it’ll all work out.

Hi, Knobby! Welcome to T Nation. What health issues have you had, if it’s not too personal?