T Nation

Push-Ups/Face Pulls for Shoulder Injury

I read in an article here pushups and facepulls may help with my shoulder injury. When adding to my routine should I drop bench/militaries/back work and just focus on these? Also, Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do facepulls on the cable row? It seems much more conventient. How often should I do these? I’m thinking 2x a week for face pulls AND pushups.

How high should reps be in the facepull? I’ve also read that dbs/limited ROM pressing is best when you have an injury. I’m thinking for ME do floor press for a few weeks, and instead of DE I’ll do dumbells.

EDIT: To those who care, I’m closing on benching two plates. While this is baby weight for a lot of you. It’s a pretty big milestone for me at this point. And I need my shoulders in better health to keep moving up in weight. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

i superset them with my rows/or chinups for about 12 reps twice a week. i keep suffering some wierd ass sprain thats not even related to lifting but i immediately noticed a difference when i began face pulls…its like im gaining more range of motion in my shoulder joint…

oh and you can still bench and do them in the same workout…

Well first, what exactly is the problem with your shoulder?

When mentioning an injury it is best to detail cause, how it happened, exactly what is affected, and what moves you can’t do.

You can do face-pulls on a cable row.

I really only feel pain benchign with a wide grip, I don’t feel pain doing overhead work, but my right shoulder is noticably weaker in both excercises. I feel I got it from benching. I don’t really know how else to describe it.

where is the pain? front, back, trap area, close to neck, closer to arm (relative to neck) is it a burning, throbbing, sharp pain? does to shoot down your arm?

when you stand completely relaxed in front a mirror, are your shoulders on even levels? is your back pretty straight when you stand like this or is there a hump at top and/or big arch at bottom?

Zep,

How much can you BB row compared to your bench? And your 1 arm DB row compared to your DB press?

Has anyone ever injured the rear of their shoulder doing deads? I have recently and my shoulder hurts during chins/pullups. Any idea if face pulls would help with this?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I read in an article here pushups and facepulls may help with my shoulder injury. When adding to my routine should I drop bench/militaries/back work and just focus on these? Also, Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do facepulls on the cable row? It seems much more conventient. How often should I do these? I’m thinking 2x a week for face pulls AND pushups.

How high should reps be in the facepull? I’ve also read that dbs/limited ROM pressing is best when you have an injury. I’m thinking for ME do floor press for a few weeks, and instead of DE I’ll do dumbells.

EDIT: To those who care, I’m closing on benching two plates. WHil this is baby weight for a lot of you. It’s a pretty big milestone for me at this point. And I need my shoulders in better health to keep moving up in weight. Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I would drop pushups and pullups and lat pulldowns if you have any shoulder issues and concentrate on scapular retraction work for your traps, lats, and rhomboids. Face pulls can be done a few different ways, but make sure you concentrate on squeezing the shoulder blades together.

Do reps in the ten to 20 ranges. you can also do some mini band pull aparts in the 10-20 range.

As for benching alternatives, try 2-4 board work, possibly even 1 board. It will save a little stretch on your shoulder capsule and labrum.

[quote]danew wrote:
where is the pain? front, back, trap area, close to neck, closer to arm (relative to neck) is it a burning, throbbing, sharp pain? does to shoot down your arm?

when you stand completely relaxed in front a mirror, are your shoulders on even levels? is your back pretty straight when you stand like this or is there a hump at top and/or big arch at bottom?[/quote]

It’s in the actual ball of the delt. I would say closer to the arm. It’s a sharp pain usually accompanied by throbbing after the first rep. Yeah my shoulders are even, my traps are a little different though. I’m not really humpbacked but I have a big arch in my back.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I would drop pushups and pullups and lat pulldowns if you have any shoulder issues and concentrate on scapular retraction work for your traps, lats, and rhomboids. Face pulls can be done a few different ways, but make sure you concentrate on squeezing the shoulder blades together.

Do reps in the ten to 20 ranges. you can also do some mini band pull aparts in the 10-20 range.

As for benching alternatives, try 2-4 board work, possibly even 1 board. It will save a little stretch on your shoulder capsule and labrum.

[/quote]

I need to get me some boards :(. I’ll work on the scapular retraction. Should I use DBS once a week? I had almost no pain when I was incline DB pressing, and since I stopped it started back up.

[quote]dan81 wrote:
Zep,

How much can you BB row compared to your bench? And your 1 arm DB row compared to your DB press?[/quote]

Barbell row 1 rep max is probably about 185. I benched 215 like 2 weeks ago, now the shoulders are preventing me. I never flat DB benched but I can row the 100s for 5-6 reps.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
tom63 wrote:
I would drop pushups and pullups and lat pulldowns if you have any shoulder issues and concentrate on scapular retraction work for your traps, lats, and rhomboids. Face pulls can be done a few different ways, but make sure you concentrate on squeezing the shoulder blades together.

Do reps in the ten to 20 ranges. you can also do some mini band pull aparts in the 10-20 range.

As for benching alternatives, try 2-4 board work, possibly even 1 board. It will save a little stretch on your shoulder capsule and labrum.

I need to get me some boards :(. I’ll work on the scapular retraction. Should I use DBS once a week? I had almost no pain when I was incline DB pressing, and since I stopped it started back up.[/quote]

it’s most likely okay to do it if you don’t have pain, give it a try.

[quote]dan81 wrote:
Zep,

How much can you BB row compared to your bench? And your 1 arm DB row compared to your DB press?[/quote]

They don’t really match up on a one to one basis for a variety of reasons.

Zep,

That’s a decent BB row and DB row compared to your bench (assuming good form).

Tom63,

Just wanted to make sure there weren’t any glaring differences between his bench and rowing strength. If he had said 135lb bb row for 3 reps - then there is an issue.

BTW, do you think that one’s BB row and DB row strength should be greater than your BB bench and DB bench strength? (raw) Intuitively, my guess is that rowing should be greater provided you have a strong enough lower back. I know personally, my DB row strength has increased quite fast after really concentrating on it. A few years ago, I could DB bench substantially more than I could DB row.

[quote]dan81 wrote:
Zep,

That’s a decent BB row and DB row compared to your bench (assuming good form).

Tom63,

Just wanted to make sure there weren’t any glaring differences between his bench and rowing strength. If he had said 135lb bb row for 3 reps - then there is an issue.

BTW, do you think that one’s BB row and DB row strength should be greater than your BB bench and DB bench strength? (raw) Intuitively, my guess is that rowing should be greater provided you have a strong enough lower back. I know personally, my DB row strength has increased quite fast after really concentrating on it. A few years ago, I could DB bench substantially more than I could DB row.[/quote]
But his BB row is only 86% of his bench.
That seems to be lacking in strength on the row compared to his bench, especially if (and I think you are right here) BB row should be higher than Bench press.
I have recently concentrated on bringing up BB row strength and can do 5+ reps with may BP max, this seem about right to me (BB row at 45degrees).

Whether its ME or DE day I always do either external rotation or face pulls between sets of my main BP exercise.

[quote]sapasion wrote:
Whether its ME or DE day I always do either external rotation or face pulls between sets of my main BP exercise.[/quote]

I do external rotation at the very end of my training session just before I try to make myself strech a little (LOL). The reason being I don’t want to fatigue my stabilising muscles while I need them to be strong.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
dan81 wrote:
Zep,

That’s a decent BB row and DB row compared to your bench (assuming good form).

Tom63,

Just wanted to make sure there weren’t any glaring differences between his bench and rowing strength. If he had said 135lb bb row for 3 reps - then there is an issue.

BTW, do you think that one’s BB row and DB row strength should be greater than your BB bench and DB bench strength? (raw) Intuitively, my guess is that rowing should be greater provided you have a strong enough lower back. I know personally, my DB row strength has increased quite fast after really concentrating on it. A few years ago, I could DB bench substantially more than I could DB row.
But his BB row is only 86% of his bench.
That seems to be lacking in strength on the row compared to his bench, especially if (and I think you are right here) BB row should be higher than Bench press.
I have recently concentrated on bringing up BB row strength and can do 5+ reps with may BP max, this seem about right to me (BB row at 45degrees).

[/quote]

True that. It’s amazing how fast your rowing strength increases with some concentrated effort. The sum of your horizontal pulling muscles are larger than your horizontal pressing muscles (assuming balanced development), but with someone who trains only the mirror muscles (used to be me also) this is not always the case! For me, I used to have nagging shoulder problems and bringing up my rowing stregth along with light highrep facepulls has done wonders.

However, since Zep is saying his pain is felt in the delt itself, maybe some deep tissue massage?

[quote]Boffin wrote:
sapasion wrote:
Whether its ME or DE day I always do either external rotation or face pulls between sets of my main BP exercise.

I do external rotation at the very end of my training session just before I try to make myself strech a little (LOL). The reason being I don’t want to fatigue my stabilising muscles while I need them to be strong. [/quote]

Poliquin first threw the idea of doing them before [or at least I will credit him]. I have adapted and strengthened by cuff to the point where between bench sets is a bonus not a penalty.