Push-Ups Best For Chest?

[quote]Mr. Push Ups wrote:
Please be part of the majority AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE THREAD TOPIC.

This will make the thread much more valuable for information.

Thank You![/quote]

Good advice Mr Push ups, hope you recall that when you are mouthing off about fighting.

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
Brain Monster wrote:
Wow, I feel like I started a war.haha. I think most people took my post the wrong way. I am in no way only planning on doing push ups. I am only adding push ups to my training by doing them every few hours throughout the day, and doing my normal work outs as well. I remember an article on here, I forget the name but it specifically talked about doing certain bodyweight or other exercises like that throughout the day along with your training. I did this same thing with pull-ups and got great results. I’m just looking to do the same thing with push-ups, get some exta capilaries invloved and all that good stuff.

I’ve heard this called GTG (Grease the Groove). Basically, you just crank out push-ups (or whatever) throughout the day, often to achieve a specific total(ie: 1000). I used to do this kind of stuff back when I was like 14, and, hey, it’s better than sitting on the couch. A lot of people do the same thing with pull-up bars or doorways in their home for pull-ups, so I don’t see why anyone should object to doing this as long as push-ups aren’t your primary fitness program.[/quote]

spot on and for the rest banging on about benching and pushups, try some goodmornings, just hits the right spot when you are working with a heavy bag, hit 400lbs for 5 solid reps in this and my ‘‘big muscles’’ can rock the heavy bag, and if you aint got legs, you ain’t got power.

I think that being a T-man is being able to also do an activity longer than 45 seconds. Incorporating pushups into the mix will encourage that. Look, endurance is important also.

Try carrying furniture into and out of houses all day (been there done that, for a summer job). Try carrying bags of softener salt into old ladies houses a dozen or more times a day on your job too (That one was years ago).

Endurance is important also. Benching is not the be all/end all many people think.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
… Benching is not the be all/end all many people think.[/quote]

Benching is only 1/2 the equation. You need to curl too!!!

IMO ball push ups work great for me, so I would say ball or bosu board push ups

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I think that being a T-man is being able to also do an activity longer than 45 seconds. Incorporating pushups into the mix will encourage that. Look, endurance is important also.

Try carrying furniture into and out of houses all day (been there done that, for a summer job). Try carrying bags of softener salt into old ladies houses a dozen or more times a day on your job too (That one was years ago).

Endurance is important also. Benching is not the be all/end all many people think.[/quote]

Agree !!! I used to do phys. job when younger and then go train after work,I didnt realize then how great of shape i was in.but now i still lift and dont do very much phys. labor and my endurance sucks.I used to think it was kind of funny when football players that were trying out for pro teams would come into the gym and do half ass workouts and sort of stand around looking tired and wore out,when all they were doing was sitting around all day,and i was busting my butt at work and could still train them into the ground in the gym.

And some of the big 260-300 pounders that trained there werent really T-men they were just roided out pussy’s that tried to intimidate with size and when that didnt work they didnt know what to do.two of the baddest t-men i have seen trained with body weight exercises and gymnast type training,they were about 5’8 -5’10 185 to 205,one was an old dude,who wore lipstick and curlers in his hair,he would take on 3-5 street toughs at a time and whip their butts,

and a cop i knew told me if they ever had to go get him he would take on 6-8 cops at a time and do some damage. the other guy was a body guard ,enforcer etc. and he would break heads and bones etc. both of these guys had wide backs and thick legs,their heads were kind of big for their height and sort of round ,arms were probably 16-17 inches.

I think Mr. Push-Ups deserves a break. He’s got some good advice if you actually give it a try. I’ve always had a hard time feeling my chest when doing dips. Then I read where Mr. P suggested trying to push the dip bars together as you dip. This has made a huge difference for me when I do dips. Thanks Mr. Push-Ups

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
… Benching is not the be all/end all many people think.

Benching is only 1/2 the equation. You need to curl too!!![/quote]

Okay, you win! :slight_smile:

I do push ups one day each week, normally my off day from lifting. I know it may not be the best time but hey, it works for me.

I use the smith machine and put the bar level with my chest, then lean my body and do 1 push up in a standing position, then I go down to the floor and do one regular old military style push up. then I stand up and do 2 push-ups in the standing position, return to the floor and do two on the floor. then 3 standing, 3 floor so on and so forthe until I get to 12. that’s one set. I do three sets of that with a 3 minute rest interval between sets. Each set amounts to 78 push-ups on the floor and 78 standing for a total of 156 push-ups per set.

I really try to control myself on the standing push-ups to get the effect of a negative rep. This is hard to do but if you practice, you’ll find it really works you pretty good. I call it a pyramid set although I’ve always done the push-ups in sequence from 1 to 12, never gone the other way. Normally by the end of each set, I’m ready for a break and by the end of the series I’m ready for an ambulance!!!

By the way, I then go and do dips using a flat bench and do 3 pyramid sets going 1 to 10 to 1. That’s 100 dips per set with the same 3 min rest interval between sets. Normally the dips go a little slower than the push ups because, let’s face it, at 37 years old I’m getting a little slower than I used to be.
I normally finish the workout with some low incline crunches, 5 sets of 10.

This is a great break from the normal weight routine and really helps build coordination and strength using only body weight.

CT has a great article on the home page about squeezing the bar while benching – in, for the pecs, out for the tris. Its kind of like that machine the women use to ‘shape’ their thighs. So, put 70 pounds on the bar, bench, and squeeze those puppies!

While some guys are doing that, I’ll do 20 burpees, rest 30 secs, do 19 burpees, rest 30 secs, and so on. Then, once/week, I’ll do 10x3 of all out goddamn benches, and another night I’ll do the same for deads. Mixed throughout my day, I’ll do pushups at work. This, along with 2 or 3 nights per week of MA.

Then, if some ‘pretty boy’ with a puffed up chest tries to intimidate me with his 'Wow, look at ‘em pop muscles!’, he better be a fast fucking runner.

Well, I just finished doing 3 sets of pushups using two chairs and my bed for the full range of motion. Wow. I did the first 2 sets to 30 and the last one to failure. My tris and pecs feel pumped like mf’ers. I like em. At least one thing you’ve been saying isn’t complete b.s. Mr. Pushups :wink:

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
Well, I just finished doing 3 sets of pushups using two chairs and my bed for the full range of motion. Wow. I did the first 2 sets to 30 and the last one to failure. My tris and pecs feel pumped like mf’ers. I like em. At least one thing you’ve been saying isn’t complete b.s. Mr. Pushups ;)[/quote]

lol, it’s all B.S. until they try it.

believe me, If the exercise is tough its working. The numnuts around here think you need to have the heaviest exercise to be effective. I like to take the exercise that places the most tension and strain with the max amout of weight i can use. for chest its not a bench press. On a bench press i can use my back shoulders and triceps to take away that stress even with my max lift on there. I bench 6x6 and that is an easier workout than my weighted push up flyes.

For you , next add weights (weighted backpack) and decrease your rep range to 6-12 reps of 4-6 sets 3 times a week …only with the chair push ups though. then elevate your legs higher. then do partial reps in the same position even 1/4 and 1/8 movements if you have to. you will have the biggest chest in that school.

2 people Larry Scott Tom Platz really valued this partial repping even after you’ve completed full reps. Just do them. This is what really makes the muscle grow, this pain and breakdown barrier and the time its under tension.

Tom Platz has the most developed legs you’ll ever see. And check out Larry Scotts arms. They kept the muscle under tension with continuous tension. Even Arnold describes this pain barrier. These are the only reps that count; the last ones.

It don’t matter if you push a bar or your body. Just get the ache in the muscle and push through it. Ignore all the B.S. about benching and push ups. Neither are any good if you can’t go thru the pain.

Now if you tire of that exercise. Try the weighted dips, pulling the bars together instead of pressing up. this will contract your pecs harder and take your tri’s out of the dip as much as you can.

Now the best for last. This one is painful. So make sure your strong enough to do it. This makes benching seem like a sunday stroll. And I bench 350 and only weigh 180. Bare with me. Weight doesn’t always cause the most pain.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This will. Do an upside down fly in push up position. With a weighted backpack. You will need 2 dumbbells to roll or(fly )with. This is like a bench press and a fly at the same time.
Elevate the legs on a chair. If you can’t do 1 rep, obviously you won’t need the weighted back pack. Keep the reps around 6-10. Contract the pecs as hard as you can on the way up. Never let the muscle relax or lose tension. And stretch the pecs as far as you can on the way down. Keep a slight bend in your elbows.

Good Luck. If anybody ask how you got your chest so big. Don’t tell em. Say you got implants. Just remember chics like pecs.

[quote]Mr. Push Ups wrote:
DooMMOoD wrote:
Well, I just finished doing 3 sets of pushups using two chairs and my bed for the full range of motion. Wow. I did the first 2 sets to 30 and the last one to failure. My tris and pecs feel pumped like mf’ers. I like em. At least one thing you’ve been saying isn’t complete b.s. Mr. Pushups :wink:

lol, it’s all B.S. until they try it.

believe me, If the exercise is tough its working. The numnuts around here think you need to have the heaviest exercise to be effective. I like to take the exercise that places the most tension and strain with the max amout of weight i can use. for chest its not a bench press. On a bench press i can use my back shoulders and triceps to take away that stress even with my max lift on there. I bench 6x6 and that is an easier workout than my weighted push up flyes.

For you , next add weights (weighted backpack) and decrease your rep range to 6-12 reps of 4-6 sets 3 times a week …only with the chair push ups though. then elevate your legs higher. then do partial reps in the same position even 1/4 and 1/8 movements if you have to. you will have the biggest chest in that school.

2 people Larry Scott Tom Platz really valued this partial repping even after you’ve completed full reps. Just do them. This is what really makes the muscle grow, this pain and breakdown barrier and the time its under tension.

Tom Platz has the most developed legs you’ll ever see. And check out Larry Scotts arms. They kept the muscle under tension with continuous tension. Even Arnold describes this pain barrier. These are the only reps that count; the last ones.

It don’t matter if you push a bar or your body. Just get the ache in the muscle and push through it. Ignore all the B.S. about benching and push ups. Neither are any good if you can’t go thru the pain.

Now if you tire of that exercise. Try the weighted dips, pulling the bars together instead of pressing up. this will contract your pecs harder and take your tri’s out of the dip as much as you can.

Now the best for last. This one is painful. So make sure your strong enough to do it. This makes benching seem like a sunday stroll. And I bench 350 and only weigh 180. Bare with me. Weight doesn’t always cause the most pain.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This will. Do an upside down fly in push up position. With a weighted backpack. You will need 2 dumbbells to roll or(fly )with. This is like a bench press and a fly at the same time.
Elevate the legs on a chair. If you can’t do 1 rep, obviously you won’t need the weighted back pack. Keep the reps around 6-10. Contract the pecs as hard as you can on the way up. Never let the muscle relax or lose tension. And stretch the pecs as far as you can on the way down. Keep a slight bend in your elbows.

Good Luck. If anybody ask how you got your chest so big. Don’t tell em. Say you got implants. Just remember chics like pecs.[/quote]

Can I add something here? Add in some higher rep pushups once in a while. Low reps are good, but remember that higher reps will give you a good pump.

In my sport, I have to be able to punch for 2 (or 3) minute rounds – so I’m biased for higher reps.

So, mr push ups. You do a push up workout 3-4 tomes/week. How do you work that in with your weight training? Headhunter, same question. How do you set up your workouts through the week to include both push ups, and your weight training?

Mr PU, what do you think of using rings for flys? pushups, dips and chins etc I already appreciate the value of whenever I can get hold of some damn rings (my school is very stingy with their set of rings)

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Can I add something here? Add in some higher rep pushups once in a while. Low reps are good, but remember that higher reps will give you a good pump.

In my sport, I have to be able to punch for 2 (or 3) minute rounds – so I’m biased for higher reps.

[/quote]

Good points!

I do varius rep ranges throughout the week. Ranging from 6 to over a 100.

Variety is good for overall performance. Strength, hypertrophy, endurance, balance, athletic cordination & speed, explosive power…etc…etc

good point headhunter

[quote]kheaslim wrote:
So, mr push ups. You do a push up workout 3-4 tomes/week. How do you work that in with your weight training? Headhunter, same question. How do you set up your workouts through the week to include both push ups, and your weight training?[/quote]

I alternate variety constantly. I use a 6 day split with chest work on 4 of those days.

1- Bench Press in reps of 6
2- Weighted dips in reps of 10
3- Standard push-ups in 100 rep sets
4- Elevated weighted push ups between chairs in reps of 20
5- Explosive clap push ups between sets
6- Decline dumbbell press/fly in reps of 12
7- Rolling dumbbell push up flyes in reps of 8
8- partial rep bench presses in reps of 24
9- pullovers in reps of 50 to 10
10 - one arm push ups, diamond push ups, & push up static holds.

These are generaly the type of exercises i alternate. Usualy containing strength, hypertrophy, speed & endurance throughout the week.

I don’t realy ever have a routine, mine pretty much changes weekly.

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
Mr PU, what do you think of using rings for flys? pushups, dips and chins etc I already appreciate the value of whenever I can get hold of some damn rings (my school is very stingy with their set of rings)[/quote]

I think its great. I’d like to get my hands on some rings myself. And also those sticks that I saw Brock using in that video; seems like a real good flexibility and athletic exercise.

My personal opinion is if you limit yourself to the exercises that you do, you’re really just limiting your potential of what you can achieve; from an athletic and overall performance standpoint anyway. Like headhunter sort of said. He needs speed on his punches. So he incorporates exercises to produce speed.

Its all based on personal goals. Some people just wanna be big, some fast, some ripped. I was a wrestler and we pretty much needed everything. So I stick to that. I’ll take a variety of all types of athletic performances anyday, over being able to do just one thing.

My $.02

lol I gotta bump this. Not because I actually learned a whole lot about what I was originally searching for (the best way to program in push ups for hypertrophy), just for the sheer entertainment value of a dozen different numb nuts all calling each other trolls

2 Likes

Keep thinking thread bumps are gonna be by newbies then its you lol.