Push/Pull Two Day a Week

Day one: Pull
-Sumo Deadlift (I’ve never prioritize the sumo deadlift; I love the conventional version.) 5 sets of 2
-Horizontal pull (barbell, dumbbell, bodyweight, or cable) 3 sets of 8
-Vertical pull (pull up, chin up, neutral grip pull up) 3 sets to failure

Day two: Push
-Horizontal push (barbell, dumbell, bodyweight) 4 sets of 10
-Vertical push (barbell, dumbbell)(standing) 3 sets of 5
-Lunge variation 2-3 sets of 24 (12 repetitions per leg)

Daily:
-100 band pull aparts
-Single leg glute activation exercises (glute bridge, kneeling hip thrust (on knees raising bent knee to lockout, lying leg lift)
-Jump rope (3 times weekly) 200-300 repetitions
-Sprints (1 time weekly) 3 sets of 3
-Basketball (3-4 times weekly)

Is this an adequate program?
Any suggestions or ideas?
Repetition ranges? Exercise or variation suggestions? Less vs more?
How would you design this program?

Edit with your goals, strength levels (numbers for the big lifts), and level of training experience so that people can assess the effectiveness. It’s impossible to say if this is a “good” program without that information.

I thought all you needed was deadlifts and OHP?

In all seriousness, you’ve done a lot of reading and researching. I’m sure you’ve come across a prewritten program somewhere in your studies that will do the job better than anything yo come up with.

I agree you should probably stick with a prewritten program at this point. But I’ll play.

[quote]a2_z wrote:
Day one: Pull
-Sumo Deadlift (I’ve never prioritize the sumo deadlift; I love the conventional version.) 5 sets of 2[/quote]
You’ll probably get more out of 2 sets of 5 than 5 sets of 2. Given your 20 rep squat max is less than bodyweight, and that you don’t have a 2xBW deadlift, I would stick with 4-6 reps per set.

However, why did you pick 5x2?

I’m not sure you’ll get much out of this. You’d probably be better off doing sets of 12-20 of face pulls or other upper back work.

Why go to failure?

[quote]Day two: Push
-Horizontal push (barbell, dumbell, bodyweight) 4 sets of 10[/quote]
Why did you choose those reps and sets?

What about triceps and anterior delt fatigue from the previous lift?

Why lunges? Where are the squats?

[quote]Daily:
-100 band pull aparts
-Single leg glute activation exercises (glute bridge, kneeling hip thrust (on knees raising bent knee to lockout, lying leg lift)[/quote]
Why do you need activation exercises? Are you addressing an actual problem, or just something you think is a problem?

[quote]-Jump rope (3 times weekly) 200-300 repetitions
-Sprints (1 time weekly) 3 sets of 3
-Basketball (3-4 times weekly)

Is this an adequate program?
Any suggestions or ideas?
Repetition ranges? Exercise or variation suggestions? Less vs more?
How would you design this program?[/quote]
Is this adequate for what? What are you trying to accomplish with it?

I’m assuming you want to get stronger/bigger but not at the expense of any basketbell ability. Why not commit to a program that’s created with running in mind, such as DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards? (DeFranco also seems to prioritize box squats for several reasons including an increased vertical, which wouldn’t hurt any bball skills)

if my assumption of your goals is correct, there’s no way you’re going to see better results with the program you’ve written than with a battle-tested routine written by veteran professionals.

Being novel and creating your own routine can be fun and all, and if having fun is your primary goal then by all means go nuts. However if your goals are performance and results driven, there are much smarter options.

Just do this…

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Being novel and creating your own routine can be fun and all, and if having fun is your primary goal then by all means go nuts.[/quote]

The guy is 145lbs at 6 foot. He pulls 245 and presses less than 100lbs, he doesn’t know enough to be creating his own routine.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Being novel and creating your own routine can be fun and all, and if having fun is your primary goal then by all means go nuts.[/quote]

The guy is 145lbs at 6 foot. He pulls 245 and presses less than 100lbs, he doesn’t know enough to be creating his own routine.
[/quote]

That’s my point; I was attempting my version of dry humor. I meant if he just wants to workout, then say screw it and do what ever. If however he wants to train, then he should pick a proven program.