Push/Pull Routine Check

Hey,

I was hoping someone more experienced could give me their 2c.

Firstly, Goals are fat loss with some strength increases, and all around getting into better shape. My stats are that I am 195 5’11 -fairly squishy but not alltogether devoid of muscle. I play basketball for 1-2 hours 5 days/wk and I was thinking of either making this a 2 day split, or stretching it to 3 when my gym opens on the weekends (which is supposed to be shortly). I eat clean, P+C meals and P+F meals - Whey before and after workouts, aswell as a carb source.

I’ve been doing this for a week and a bit, 5x5. However I was strongly considering switching up the set/rep scheme weekly (5x5, 3x8, 10x3 or something to that effect) which I was also looking for some opinions on.

Push//
DB Bench
Squats
DB Incline
Hip Abductions
Arnold Press
Calf work

Pull//
Pulldowns
Goodmornings
Bentover Rows
Hip Abductions
Lateral Raises
Cable Bicep Curls
Shrugs
Deads
Chins

Thanks in advance for anything constructive/inflammatory :smiley: that anyone has to say.

[Edit]: Mistake on my part putting chins in push.

[quote]Tyler123 wrote:
Hey,

Firstly, Goals are fat loss with some strength increases, and all around getting into better shape. My stats are that I am 195 5’11 -fairly squishy but not alltogether devoid of muscle. I play basketball for 1-2 hours 5 days/wk and I was thinking of either making this a 2 day split, or stretching it to 3 when my gym opens on the weekends (which is supposed to be shortly). I eat clean, P+C meals and P+F meals - Whey before and after workouts, aswell as a carb source.

I’ve been doing this for a week and a bit, 5x5. However I was strongly considering switching up the set/rep scheme weekly (5x5, 3x8, 10x3 or something to that effect) which I was also looking for some opinions on.

Push//
DB Bench
Squats
DB Incline
Hip Abductions
Arnold Press
Calf work
Chins

Pull//
Pulldowns
Goodmornings
Bentover Rows
Hip Abductions
Lateral Raises
Cable Bicep Curls
Shrugs
Deads

Thanks in advance for anything constructive/inflammatory :smiley: that anyone has to say.
[/quote]

Your exercise selection and arrangement is poor. Cut out most of the isolation stuff like hip adductions and lateral raises. You have chins in your push day…read this site more and learn.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:

Your exercise selection and arrangement is poor. Cut out most of the isolation stuff like hip adductions and lateral raises. You have chins in your push day…read this site more and learn.[/quote]

I dont agree and feel they are OK I would just do the Iso work after the real work. You may also think of some shoulder prehab on the push day shoulder horns and external rotations not so much for any building effect but long term health

Other than that may want one of those to be hip adduction also core work direct ab and low back work.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I am doing Thibaudeau’s Ab Training for Athletes and Babehounds in terms of my core work.

I also decided to go back over some of the total body training articles I had read and perhaps give BBB a shot and see how I feel after next week.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I am doing Thibaudeau’s Ab Training for Athletes and Babehounds in terms of my core work.

I also decided to go back over some of the total body training articles I had read and perhaps give BBB a shot and see how I feel after next week.

I agree that you could use a little external rotation work in there for shoulder health. That’s a whole lot of exercises that promote internal humeral rotation.

Technically shrugs are considered a vertical pushing exercises, btw (they elevate the scapula).

Other than that, you should do OK. My biggest concern is basketball 5 days a week 1-2 hours a day… that’s going to make it really hard to recover especially if your nutrition and sleep aren’t perfect. You might find yourself needing to ditch some exercises.

He’s right, especially since you are just getting into a regimented program. substitute these isolation lifts for more “bang for your buck” exercises.

maybe some suitcase lunges instead of the abduction.

standing military press instead of Arnold press.

cut pulldowns and chins and replace with pull ups

replace lateral raises with upright rows

forget the cable curls

thats a start.

gotta go

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
Tyler123 wrote:
Hey,

Push//
DB Bench
Squats
DB Incline
Hip Abductions
Arnold Press
Calf work
Chins

Pull//
Pulldowns
Goodmornings
Bentover Rows
Hip Abductions
Lateral Raises
Cable Bicep Curls
Shrugs
Deads

Your exercise selection and arrangement is poor. Cut out most of the isolation stuff like hip adductions and lateral raises. You have chins in your push day…read this site more and learn.[/quote]

and maybe move deads from the LAST thing. b/c im pretty sure they should be at the top of the list. and you could probably get away with subbing out deads and good mornings every other week or so…

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. In regards to my basketball playing, its shoot-arounds and not full out game-type situations.

I’ve basically taken all of your imput and used it to reaffirm things I’ve read and decided that I’ll give the Waterbury method a go (day 1 was yesterday and it went well, the leg raises were tough and I couldn’t get all 4 sets, mostly because I don’t think I’m strong enough to support myself in the air, and because my gym only has a smith machine so I can’t hang from a chin bar)

So, tbt using the Waterbury method coupled with my eating plan which is clean is what I am going to adopt and see what kind of gains I see.