Push Pull Meet

Hey all, first time poster. My first powerlifting meet will be Sept 20th. I chose push/pull over doing a full meet. I am 37 years old and squatting hard wears me out. I have squatted for the last five years but it never flows like deadlifting.

Preparing for a push/pull meet should I train the squat at all?

[quote]rockyshaun wrote:
Hey all, first time poster. My first powerlifting meet will be Sept 20th. I chose push/pull over doing a full meet. I am 37 years old and squatting hard wears me out. I have squatted for the last five years but it never flows like deadlifting.

Preparing for a push/pull meet should I train the squat at all?[/quote]

Yes. How do you pull? Conventional or sumo? If sumo, do some wide stance box squats to parallel or just above for reps. Remember to sit back on the box and flex off of it. If conventional, use lighter weight and do some pause squats for reps.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:

[quote]rockyshaun wrote:
Hey all, first time poster. My first powerlifting meet will be Sept 20th. I chose push/pull over doing a full meet. I am 37 years old and squatting hard wears me out. I have squatted for the last five years but it never flows like deadlifting.

Preparing for a push/pull meet should I train the squat at all?[/quote]

Yes. How do you pull? Conventional or sumo? If sumo, do some wide stance box squats to parallel or just above for reps. Remember to sit back on the box and flex off of it. If conventional, use lighter weight and do some pause squats for reps.
[/quote]
Agreed. I’d recommend choosing a squat that most closely resembles your deadlift. OSU already mentioned wide stance versus narrow stance, but I’d personally go even further to say that you should choose a squat bar position that allows you to mimic the back angle of your deadlift. For example, if you deadlift conventional with your hips low so that your back is relatively closer to vertical, then I think you should probably do paused squats with a high bar position, SSB, front squat, etc. If your hips are higher and your back is less vertical, maybe low bar squats would be better. Same for the box squats OSU mentioned in the case that you pull sumo.

I defo pull conventional with a narrow stance. My back is close to 40 degrees. So some fairly light low bar pause squats that don’t interfere with pulling?

I’d say definitely squat, I don’t think many peope deadlift heavy more than once a week at most, and squatting is surely a good way to build most of the muscles you’ll use when deadlifting? Obviously feel free to do what you think is best but I personally wouldn’t avoid doing some ‘heavier’ squats, and as long as you give yourself a couple of days between squatting and deadlifting it shouldn’t majorly interfere with pulling.

[quote]rockyshaun wrote:
I defo pull conventional with a narrow stance. My back is close to 40 degrees. So some fairly light low bar pause squats that don’t interfere with pulling?[/quote]

I don’t know about high bar vs low bar - just do whatever is most comfortable. The point is to squat w/ a bar on your back and even throw in some front squats if you want to.

Squatting will only help. It won’t interfere.

After five years of steady squatting I have found that I need frequent sessions to keep the groove. Frequent sessions beat me up. Some lighter paused squats should be okay recovery wise done once a week. I love pulling though. It is my favorite lift with OH Press being second.