Push/Pull/Legs

I am thinking about doing a split like this

push
pull
legs
rest
rest
repeat

what do you think of such a split vs upper/lower?

Should post more detail if you want any sound advice other wise off what I can see which is not much at all it looks like a normal push pull legs template with the days all together. Hope that was what you were looking for cause it about the best I have for such little information.

i was wondering rest wise, if it was too much having all the three days in a row or if i only need 1 rest day before i repeat the cycle.

the exercise setup i was thinking about doing is this:

Push
bench press 5 sets
cable crossovers 4 sets
shoulder press 5 sets
shoulder press dumbbell 2-3 sets
lateral raises 4 sets
bent over raises 4 sets
tricep extensions 4 sets
cable pushdown 3 sets

pull
bent over row 4-5 sets
neutral grip chin ups 4 sets
cable rows: 2 sets
shrugs 4 sets
hammer curls 3 sets
preacher curls 3 sets

legs
Squats 5 sets
deadlifts 4 sets
one leg leg press 5 sets
straight leg deadlift 5 sets
calf presses 3 sets
leg raises 4 sets
wood choopers 4 sets

This is honestly a a hard question to answer considering every one is different in regards to recovery. It is going to rely on how intense your actual sets are, how goof your diet is and how well you actively recover. With that said I lift three days in a row every week.

I do ME Press work Monday, ME Lower Body Tuesday and then Upper Back on Wednesday. I then take Thursday and Friday off as active recovery days. Saturday I train events and Sunday I Sleep.

To touch on active recovery if you are not familiar you should focus atleast 30 mins that day to active recovery. Say 10 mins stretching out what ever is bothering you the most, then foam roll what ever is bothering you for around ten mins and finally if you have access to it hot and cold water treatments spending about 5 mins in cold then five in hot for as long as you can handle.

This type of recovery has been the absolute number one change that has allowed me to stay strong and progressively make gains damn near every week.

Now I don’t know if your geared more towards strength or bodybuilding but, who ever is putting your routine together looks like they just threw every execise they knew into the rountine and said here do this twice a week… WRONG ANSWER

Especially since you are trying three days in row. You need more thought in order to train each body part twice a week with the kinda volume your doing. I will make a suggestion sample week and you can take it or leave it I don’t really care but it will be more effective than what you have in my opinion.

Day 1. Push
Incline Bencha

How much rest you need is dependent on a nearly endless number of factors, i.e.-sleep, diet, stress, intensity, etc. You didn’t list rep ranges, goals, or any other pertinent info, but I do see one big issue with the order of the days.

The way you have it set up now you have deadlift on leg day, which is fine as depending on your build and how you perform a deadlift it can be more of a leg exercise than back for some people. Deadlifts always hit my lower back/posterior chain more than my upper back. The problem I see is doing bent over rows the day before you plan to do squats and deads. You might be fine, but I would put legs as your first day so you are fresh when you hit them or at least put a day off before them. The other option would be to drop the bent over row for a chest supported variant, depending on what equipment you have access to, thereby taking the lower back out of the equation altogether.

In the end, consistency is more important than any other factor. If you can get to the gym six days a week and find you are making progress then only take one day off. If you are having trouble recovering or always missing workouts then adjust things accordingly.

Sorry accidently hit submit.

Day 1 Push
Incline Press x 5 x 5
Flat DB Press x 2 x 6-10
Side Laterals x 3 x 6-10
Triceps Overhead extension x 2 x 6-10
Cable Pressdown x 2 x 8-12

Day 2- Pull
Pull Ups x 50 reps total
Barbell Row x 3 x 6-10
Rear Laterals x 2 x 8-12
Barbell Curl x 2 x 6-10
Hammer Curl x 2 x 6-10

Day 3 Legs
Heavy Squat of Deadlift x 5 x 5
RDL or Front squat x 3 x 5
Spilt Squat x 2 x 5 per leg
Glute Ham x 2 x 10-20
Calves x 3 x 10-20

I have only listed work sets warmup as needed. Take atleast 1 day of rest I would recommend 2 and then substitute slightly differnet exercise but keep about the same template and repeat.

You have 31-32 sets for pushing movements and 20-21 sets for pulling movements. Your program appears a little unbalanced.

I’m agreeing with Reed on this one. And the program that Reed gave you looks way better.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Sorry accidently hit submit.

Day 1 Push
Incline Press x 5 x 5
Flat DB Press x 2 x 6-10
Side Laterals x 3 x 6-10
Triceps Overhead extension x 2 x 6-10
Cable Pressdown x 2 x 8-12

Day 2- Pull
Pull Ups x 50 reps total
Barbell Row x 3 x 6-10
Rear Laterals x 2 x 8-12
Barbell Curl x 2 x 6-10
Hammer Curl x 2 x 6-10

Day 3 Legs
Heavy Squat of Deadlift x 5 x 5
RDL or Front squat x 3 x 5
Spilt Squat x 2 x 5 per leg
Glute Ham x 2 x 10-20
Calves x 3 x 10-20

I have only listed work sets warmup as needed. Take atleast 1 day of rest I would recommend 2 and then substitute slightly differnet exercise but keep about the same template and repeat.[/quote] thanks but i don’t know where to do glute ham raises, and why no flat barbell bench press or shoulder press? i am noticing that the volume is less here, was that a problem with my original set up?

not trying to sound as if i am ignoring what people tell me, but what i really want is a program using the exercise i am used to and like, but i realize i don’t have enough knowledge to correctly create a balanced routine, the reason why i asked for this forum is for pointers and take aways. but seriously thanks for replying i do understand how annoying it must be to answer these threads.

You can still do barbell flat bench like I said you gave no information what so ever about what your goals were. If it was me Alt each week between flat and incline. I said no overhead pressing becausing if your going to be benching incline or flat twice a week your front Delts are going to get hammered so there is no point. Added the side laterals and rear laterals you have smashed all the heads of your delts twice a week. Also your program above in my opinion had entirely to much volume, for pushing any ways GSD pointed that out above as well or at least a unbalanced amount. You have to remember if your training everything twice like you are unless you are on some gear your going to have to lower the volume atleast slightly in order not to burn out.

Dont do glute hams then. good mornings, pull throughs, or just whatever your heart desires will be just fine.

Do me and every one trying to help you a favor and post this information please.

Height
Goal- ie powerlifting, bodybuilding, sports to score some ass whatever but it makes a huge difference in protocol.
Lifting stats-most recent squat, deadlift, and bench or whatever just something to see your current level.

Alright

weight: 76 kg, 167 lbs
height: 173 cm,5^8 feet
Goals, powerbuilding i guess, want both, not one so desperately as to give up the other but currently i prioritize strength slightly over size
Lifting stats: I have done 110kg(242 lbs) for 5 reps on the squat, 58(127) for 6 reps on shoulder press, 95(209) for 4 on bench press and 135(298) for 5 on the deadlift. also i have done 22 chin ups and 84(185) for 8 on bent over rows. i cant do those lifts right now, because i have been on a cut which i decided to postpone. but i doubt it will take long to get back.

more info: i sleep 8 hours a day now that its summer and try to do cardio for 20 mins 3 times a week.

i eat 2900 to 3000 calories a day.

Ok now I can help you… your 17 years old stop stop stop Stop fucking cutting your 2in taller than me and 30lbs less than me. You are skinny I don’t care how cut you are EAT MORE. Now if powerlifting is your goal I would drop the routine you have posted up top its virtually useless at this point. Your lifts for your body weight are not bad at all not awesomeness but are not bad lifts.

Hopefully some one will back me on this ( I am relatively new to the site so not sure what some people think about it) but, I recommend you start wokrking into a westside program. Nothing in MY OPINION works better. There is a complete in depth program here on this site pretty easy to find called westside for skinny bastards it worked wonders for me and since you are a skinny bastard it sounds perfect (no offense meant by that). Google WS4SB and its like first link.

If you have any question’s about the program just ask or pm me I am not a professional trainer or expert but I know my ways around the conjugate methods of lifting. And before you blow this program off because all the equipment westside guys use, you do not need all the bands and chains and boards that stuff is useful as all get out but at your level a power rack and bar is all you need.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Ok now I can help you… your 17 years old stop stop stop Stop fucking cutting your 2in taller than me and 30lbs less than me. You are skinny I don’t care how cut you are EAT MORE. Now if powerlifting is your goal I would drop the routine you have posted up top its virtually useless at this point. Your lifts for your body weight are not bad at all not awesomeness but are not bad lifts.

Hopefully some one will back me on this ( I am relatively new to the site so not sure what some people think about it) but, I recommend you start wokrking into a westside program. Nothing in MY OPINION works better. There is a complete in depth program here on this site pretty easy to find called westside for skinny bastards it worked wonders for me and since you are a skinny bastard it sounds perfect (no offense meant by that). Google WS4SB and its like first link.

If you have any question’s about the program just ask or pm me I am not a professional trainer or expert but I know my ways around the conjugate methods of lifting. And before you blow this program off because all the equipment westside guys use, you do not need all the bands and chains and boards that stuff is useful as all get out but at your level a power rack and bar is all you need.[/quote]

Good advice, and I’ll “back you”. WS4SB is a great program. I would just add to the OP to follow the program DIRECTLY AS WRITTEN. If you google “WS4SB III” a free download of the program with great description is available from Joe Defranco (wrote the program). Read that and let the philosophy sink in.

Do not forget to rotate your lifts every 2-3 weeks. Using flat bench everytime will not work. Also don’t forget to continue conditioning. The program is written with athletes in mind, so it works well with conditioning.

hey guys what do you think of this routine:

mon-upper
tues-lower
wed-curls
thurs-elliptical trainer
fri-hot yoga
sat-walking around in the mall, buying crap
sun-eat pizza and watch reality tv shows

repeat

LOL! I love it, but can I use it with my modified version of Starting Strength and can I substitute the PWO shake with skittled flavoured vodka?

glad I wasted my fucking time helping you in your other thread only for you to make the exact same one the next day and pretty much get the exact same responses and yet ignore them…go do whatever the fuck you wanna do!

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
glad I wasted my fucking time helping you in your other thread only for you to make the exact same one the next day and pretty much get the exact same responses and yet ignore them…go do whatever the fuck you wanna do![/quote]
Bullshit, dont tell me i ignore the advice, i don’t. this was not the exact same thread it just got treated as such, my original question here was how i should organize the split, if i should train 3 days in a row then have 2 days rest, 1 day rest or if i shouldn’t train 3 days in a row. there is a reason i didn’t write up all the info i did in the other thread where i wanted to know how my routine should be.

however once i started getting responses from people who wanted to help me make a good routine i took it. why should i ignore the chance to get more advice?

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
glad I wasted my fucking time helping you in your other thread only for you to make the exact same one the next day and pretty much get the exact same responses and yet ignore them…go do whatever the fuck you wanna do![/quote]
Bullshit, dont tell me i ignore the advice, i don’t. this was not the exact same thread it just got treated as such, my original question here was how i should organize the split, if i should train 3 days in a row then have 2 days rest, 1 day rest or if i shouldn’t train 3 days in a row. there is a reason i didn’t write up all the info i did in the other thread where i wanted to know how my routine should be.

however once i started getting responses from people who wanted to help me make a good routine i took it. why should i ignore the chance to get more advice?

[/quote]

You’re dumb. But that’s okay, you’re a beginner, and you’re allowed to be. Go do a good routine for 3-6 months and then come back.