T Nation

Push/Pull/Legs Workout Advice


#1

Hi all,

I currently joined looking for some ideas and advice for my workouts.

I've been training for almost 6 years by now and my workouts allways cicled bettween Upper/Lower routines and Push/Pull/Legs routines.

I now turn to the members for some advice. My current workout its Push/Pull/Legs based but I wanted to add some more volume to it. For this, I want to know what you think about this workout:

PUSH

High Incline dumbell press (4x 5-10)

Barbell bench press (3x 8-12)

Crossover (3x 10-12)

Seated dumbell press (3x 10-12)

Lateral raises (4x 10-12)

Upright rows (3x 10-12)

Tricep pushdown (3x 10-12)

Overhead extension (3x 10-12)

Tricep pressdown (3x 10-12)

PULL

Pull-ups (4x 6-8)

Barbell rows (4x 6-8)

Closegrip pulldowns (2x 10-12)

Rope face pulls (4x 10-12)

Shrugs (4x 10-12)

Single arm cable curls (3x 10-12)

Hammer curls (3x 10-12)

Preacher curls (3x 10-12)

Reverse curls (3x 10-12)

Wrist curls (3x 10-12)

LEGS

Seated calf raises (3x 8-10)

Standing calf raises (3x 8-10)

Leg curls (3x 10-12)

Squats (4x 6-8)

Leg press (3x 8-10)

Romanian deadlifts (3x 6-10)

Leg extensions (2x 8-12)

Inner thigh (3x 10-12)

Outer thigh (3x 10-12)

I had allways used the split: starting on monday wiht push, thursday pull, wednesday off, tuesday legs, friday push, saturday and sunday off. The following week will be: pull on monday, legs on thursday, wednsday off, tuesday push, friday pull. And so on.

I'll be leaving my current push/pull/legs for the one mentioned above.

Current workout

Push
Bench Press 4 x (6-8)
Incline Dumbbell Flyes 4 x (8-10)
Shoulder Press 3 x (8-10)
Lateral Raises 3 x (10-12)
Triceps Isolation 4 (10-12)

Pull
Rows 4 x (5x8)
Pull-Ups 3 x (8-10)
Rear Delt Raises 2 x (10-12)
Biceps Isolation 3 x (8-12)
Shrugs 3 x (8-10)

Legs
Squats 4 x (5-8)
Romanian Deadlift 4 x (5-8)
Leg Press 2 x (10-12)
Leg Curls 2 x (10-12)
Standing Calves 3 x (6-9)
Seated Calves 2 x (10-12)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance


#2

What are your goals?

And why do you think you need more volume? Maybe you should put in more effort in you current work out!!

Start with calf raises?
Inner and outer thighs?
4 biceps exercise?

The more I look at that, the more I wonder how much intensity you actually put in your current split…


#3

If you want to experiment with more volume per body part then perhaps you should switch to a 4 way split.

Added volume doesn’t tend to work too well with Push/Pull/Legs as the sessions end up too long and you wont be able to use enough intensity towards the end of your session.

One thing you can do though is each P/P/L session doesn’t have to use the same exercises. Some lifters like to alternate between 2 P/P/L sessions. An example would be one Push session may start with BB Bench Press, DB Incline Press, Cable Crossover. The next Push session may be BB Incline Bench Press, DB Bench Press, Weighted Dips.

Trying to do everything in one session though may be counterproductive.


#4

[quote]JFG wrote:
What are your goals?

And why do you think you need more volume? Maybe you should put in more effort in you current work out!!

Start with calf raises?
Inner and outer thighs?
4 biceps exercise?

The more I look at that, the more I wonder how much intensity you actually put in your current split…[/quote]

Hi JFG,

Thank you for your feedback. I made some changes on the leg day already and deleted the thigh exercises and put the calf exercises at the end.

My main goal is to add more lean mass. On the pull day I ended adding some exercises for the forearms since I’m not seeing much of a change on my arms with the current workout even hitting the max weight I can.

I was wondering if the new routine could have a different impact.


#5

If your goal is to gain mass, how much do you currently weigh? How much did you weigh when you started lifting?


#6

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
If your goal is to gain mass, how much do you currently weigh? How much did you weigh when you started lifting?[/quote]

I just ended a cut a week ago and going for a bulk. I ended my last cut with 66kg (146 lbs) down from 74kg (163 lbs).

I currently hit my maintenance caloric intake and will start creating the surplus a bit slower than the last time.


#7

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
If you want to experiment with more volume per body part then perhaps you should switch to a 4 way split.

Added volume doesn’t tend to work too well with Push/Pull/Legs as the sessions end up too long and you wont be able to use enough intensity towards the end of your session.

One thing you can do though is each P/P/L session doesn’t have to use the same exercises. Some lifters like to alternate between 2 P/P/L sessions. An example would be one Push session may start with BB Bench Press, DB Incline Press, Cable Crossover. The next Push session may be BB Incline Bench Press, DB Bench Press, Weighted Dips.

Trying to do everything in one session though may be counterproductive.[/quote]

Hi Angus,

Different P/P/L workouts seem to be a good way to go. Nevertheless, I already started the new workout starting with push. Ended up deleting upright rows and overhead extensions. Thinking of removing preacher curls and forearms exercises from pull day too.

Maybe now will I have a less demanding workout.


#8

[quote]pmcm wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
If your goal is to gain mass, how much do you currently weigh? How much did you weigh when you started lifting?[/quote]

I just ended a cut a week ago and going for a bulk. I ended my last cut with 66kg (146 lbs) down from 74kg (163 lbs).

I currently hit my maintenance caloric intake and will start creating the surplus a bit slower than the last time. [/quote]

Would I be reading right that in 6 years lifting, you’ve lost 8kg? How tall are you?


#9

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]pmcm wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
If your goal is to gain mass, how much do you currently weigh? How much did you weigh when you started lifting?[/quote]

I just ended a cut a week ago and going for a bulk. I ended my last cut with 66kg (146 lbs) down from 74kg (163 lbs).

I currently hit my maintenance caloric intake and will start creating the surplus a bit slower than the last time. [/quote]

Would I be reading right that in 6 years lifting, you’ve lost 8kg? How tall are you?
[/quote]

Lost 8kg in two months of cutting…messed the things up a little bit… I’m 170cm tall…

Guess it was a bad cut…less deficit next time for sure


#10

[quote]pmcm wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]pmcm wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
If your goal is to gain mass, how much do you currently weigh? How much did you weigh when you started lifting?[/quote]

I just ended a cut a week ago and going for a bulk. I ended my last cut with 66kg (146 lbs) down from 74kg (163 lbs).

I currently hit my maintenance caloric intake and will start creating the surplus a bit slower than the last time. [/quote]

Would I be reading right that in 6 years lifting, you’ve lost 8kg? How tall are you?
[/quote]

Lost 8kg in two months of cutting…messed the things up a little bit… I’m 170cm tall…

Guess it was a bad cut…less deficit next time for sure[/quote]

Assuming you didn’t lose much strength, 8kg lost in 2 months seems pretty much spot on to me, and something to be congratulated. It show me that you can hit short term goals.

My worry is that if your long term goal is mass, and in 6 years of lifting, you’ve hit 66kg, something is going badly wrong.


#11

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]pmcm wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]pmcm wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
If your goal is to gain mass, how much do you currently weigh? How much did you weigh when you started lifting?[/quote]

I just ended a cut a week ago and going for a bulk. I ended my last cut with 66kg (146 lbs) down from 74kg (163 lbs).

I currently hit my maintenance caloric intake and will start creating the surplus a bit slower than the last time. [/quote]

Would I be reading right that in 6 years lifting, you’ve lost 8kg? How tall are you?
[/quote]

Lost 8kg in two months of cutting…messed the things up a little bit… I’m 170cm tall…

Guess it was a bad cut…less deficit next time for sure[/quote]

Assuming you didn’t lose much strength, 8kg lost in 2 months seems pretty much spot on to me, and something to be congratulated. It show me that you can hit short term goals.

My worry is that if your long term goal is mass, and in 6 years of lifting, you’ve hit 66kg, something is going badly wrong.[/quote]

Strenght levels are almost the same after the cut. Nutrition was the main problem I guess. Aiming for 185g protein, 350 carbs and 70 fat daily at the time and going slowly for the surplus.

Nevertheless I have a big enemy on the bed… sleep… for the last 6 to 7 months I can’t sleep more than 4-6 hours (sleep interruptions included). Tried melatonin, GABA, sleeping pills…my body doesn’t seem to react to any of them.