Push/Pull/Legs or Upper/Lower Split From Neurological Recovery Standpoint

Hope your doing Great Coach Thibs,

Had a Question Regarding these two splits from a Neurological Recovery Standpoint which are more demanding and needs time to recover from more regarding my Neurotype I am a 2B confident which like you said to me before that I fall in the middle between the 2B & 3 i can be drone to the upper lower split also

what do you think Also about Band Resistance Training for My Neurotype when I use it and mix some free weights with it i feel it mitigate the Anxiety & Cortisol Response since its all about muscle Contraction and high Lactate with lower Neurological Demand since I am stuck at home from Covid and don’t have a Gym to go to can that yield to good Results

and to me Glycine+Mag Taurate are life savers post workout

Thanks & Best Regards

I don’t love the push/pull/legs split as it only hit each muscle once a week.

What I personally do is:

Monday: Push + quads
Wednesday: Pull + post.chain
Friday: Push + quads
Saturday: Pull + post.chain

Which is a push/pull split

2 Likes

coach you prefer this over the 6x push/pull/legs (2x a week) ?

or 6x push/pull (3x a week)? Seems like the 4x push/pull most sustainable (recovery/stimulation)

1 Like

6x of anything is only sustainable and effective if the volume is VERY low. Not saying that you can’t do it, bit you won’t progress optimally from it. Unless someone is a recovery freak with not other stressors in his life, or someone who is on drugs.

The VAST majority of people who do not use a minimalist volume approach should train 4 days a week. 3 being better than 5.

And it is pretty well accepted that hitting a muscle twice per week, even if the total volume is the same, is more effective than hitting it once. which makes a traditional push/pull/leg split sub-optimal.

What you could do to make it work is something like this:

DAY 1 - MONDAY- Whole body (3-4 compound movements)
DAY 2 - WEDNESDAY - Push
DAY 3.- FRIDAY - Legs
DAY 4 - SATURDAY - Pull (more “bodybuilding” stuff)

3 Likes

I know this is a very simplistic view, but isn’t the best type of split, the one that motivates you the most, to maintain consistency? As a Type 1B, I find spreading the workload over 5 or 6 days with the Push/Pull/Leg split, helps keep me motivated, as I can’t handle a lot of volume in one session.

Sure, it goes back to what I wrote earlier: you CAN train 5-6 days a week, provided that the volume is very low.

Thank you Coach Thibs for the feedback much appreciated