T Nation

Push/Pull/Legs: Could I Do a 4th Day Just Bodyweight?

Could I do a 4th day just bodyweight?

When doing a push, pull, legs split, is it okay to add a 4th day of bodyweight single leg calf raises, walking lunges, glute ham, chins and dips?
For legs anywhere between 30 to 100 reps and for upper 30 to 50?
Ty

What is your goal?

My goal is just hypertrophy. I want to be able to train 3 to 4 x a week with an hour to an hour 15 each session. Life has gotten busier. I still want to be able to be strong enough on the basics as well. I do enjoy dips, chins, and lunges. I just want to look good but not be weak.

I am looking for something I can do over and over again where I constantly progress. I don’t have time to think of a new plan or change things up ever 3 to 4 weeks. I just want to get in and make progress.

If you’re just trying to grow, then I’m not sure what the point of the 4th day of bodyweight movements is really. You’re tapping into a different kind of energy system with that volume and those reps. So it becomes another stressor. I would just stick with the push, pull, legs and focus on getting stronger in the right rep ranges. Once you’ve hit a sticking point, if you want to change training around to stress different energy systems like metabolic stress, then you could focus on the higher rep bodyweight stuff as well.

1 Like