Push Pull Legs 2x

Monday:Push
Tuesday:Pull
Wednesday:Legs
Thursday-Saturday : Repeat
Sunday: Rest

the whole idea is the key point though: You rest pause on EVERY exercise. here’s how your progress

For each exercise pick a weight that you can lift for a maximum of 10 reps (15 for standing calf raises, 20 for seated calf raises). You need to complete 50 (75 for standing calf raises, 100 for seated calf raises) total reps of each exercise. You perform your first set of each exercise as normal but you only rest for 30 seconds between each set (if you can even call them proper sets). You perform as many sets as it takes until you complete your 50 total reps. Obviously you won’t be able to complete 10 reps in each set but it doesn’t matter, this is how it’s supposed to be. Perform as many reps as you can after each 30 second rest period (try to stop 1 rep short of failure, if you’ll fail to perform 6 reps you should stop after rep 5). An example below.

Set 1 = 10 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 2 = 5 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 3 = 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 4 = 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 5 = 3 reps
etc…

How you progress: When you are able to do 12 reps with your old 10rm in your first set then you increase the weight

In that point i questioned: Why rest pausing?? Why shouldn’t i just do direct sets until i complete 50 reps or complete 12 reps with my 10RM and then increase the weight?

Luckily i found this question(er) and he got the answer from the creator:

Question:
I was curious as to how this differs from simply doing straight sets of 5x10 for every exercise with 2-3 minutes rests between sets. It would have the same volume and time under tension, right?

Answer:
Rest-pause is a more intense technique. Basically it’s the last few reps in a set that provide the most benefit (RE method). I’ll give you an example, let’s say that you simply perform 5 sets of 10 with proper rest between each set and let’s also say that the last 3 reps of each set are the “money reps”. If we perform our 50 total reps in this manner we’re only going to perform 15 total money reps.

If we perform our 50 reps the way I’ve set things up in this routine we get 3 money reps from the first set and then we get 40 more money reps which gives us a total of 43 money reps compared to only 15 money reps if we use straight sets with proper rest periods between sets.

Basically what I’m saying is that the reps towards the end of a set are the most productive, by using a rest-pause style of training we’re performing most of our reps near the “end of a set” so to speak. This is why rest-pause works so well.

So whats your opinion about the whole thing? I think its pretty attractive. Let me remind you that this is for EVERY muscle and all exercises not only big ones (bench , dl , squat) though he doesnt recommend deadlifting or backsquatting … Instead he recommends romanian deadlift and front squatting …

Shoot :smiley:

Well the concept of incomplete rest is not bad, it has a lot of positives to it, and he makes a lot of sense in the general way he explains it. I do like the front squat and RDL combo, it is potent.

I am not sure how I feel about doing this for every exercise including isolation exercises though. i’m also not sure how I feel about the 10 rep max weight, although I suppose like most things it is something you need to individually experiment with.

It would be more helpful if we had the actual exercises per session, layout etc. however. That would allow some more detailed answer

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

I am not sure how I feel about doing this for every exercise including isolation exercises though. i’m also not sure how I feel about the 10 rep max weight, although I suppose like most things it is something you need to individually experiment with.

[/quote]

yeh i am not so sure either but the key point are these “key reps”(the last 3 of every set before failure). is that true what he says? that these are the most importand reps? 1st time i hear this after 2.5 years of lifting

about the 10 rep max… it comes from years of experience and thousands of research he did himself that this rep range is optimul and for the most cases the best…he says in that case you just hace to trust the results.

exercises? sure , thought it wouldnt be necessary although he gives very specific exercises :

Push - Bench press, incline bench press, rope pressdowns, overhead dumbbell extensions (single arm), dumbbell side laterals
Pull - Chin-ups, pull-ups, chest-supported rows (or seated rows), rear delt flyes, preacher curls
Legs - Romanian deadlifts, front squats, leg curls, leg extensions, standing calf raises, seated calf raises

that’s the original… you can also add more exercises if you feel like it (like dumbell flyes)…

i personally dont like both chin-ups+pull-ups i would like your opinion aswell, but i think i ll just keep 1 and change the other for some extra row-ing variation cause back thickness is my priority. i ll also add barbell shrugs and hammer curls on pull day…