Push Presses

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
You are suppose to lock them out each rep.[/quote]

Why?

What exactly does locking out do for his shoulder strength?

FWIW, my standing DB press (not alternating) is about 80-90 percent of my seated DB press… I like them better than standing military, allows for a nicer groove etc…
But in the end I’d still go with SHIPs, seated HIPs, HS overhead machines or V-squat push presses…

Ah, Standing Presses. My pet subject…

Locking out is not necessary. As CC, suggested with his ( I believe ) rhetorical question.

You lock out if you so choose, based upon your goals simple as that.

Elbow wraps are a GOOD idea if you are doing these high Volume at something close to or exceeding your BW.

People seem to think PP, is something they should throw in 'cause it allows for more loading than Strict Standing Presses.

Looks good on the internet, but PP is a more skillful Movement than most think. Like Clean Variations ( Hanging, you name it ), there is a rhythm, to the push and lowering parts of the PP.

You should be able to count a ‘beat’ of sorts during your whole Set. Like in music or dancing.

I have seen too many ugly PP’s. Takes more skill than people think, it is NOT a cheap way to get more weight on your Standing Press, it is a Variation on Standing Press.

I would like to see ‘Form Check on Push Press’ threads more than the other ‘Form Check…’ threads around.

Yes I Train PP.

While I was ‘raised’ to lock out, I think the roughly 3/4 Rom, keeps more load on the shoulders. So that tech is better for looks. The rhythm on that is a bit tougher to get down for some than lock out PP, however.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
You are suppose to lock them out each rep.

Why?

[/quote]

Honestly I don’t have “science” behind it…I just know weightlifters lock it out and they are putting huge amount of weight overhead…and their shoulders and traps are well build. When I lock them out it feels my traps and shoulders get worked much more. If I want to do continues reps I just do strict standing presses.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
You are suppose to lock them out each rep.

Why?

Honestly I don’t have “science” behind it…I just know weightlifters lock it out and they are putting huge amount of weight overhead…and their shoulders and traps are well build. When I lock them out it feels my traps and shoulders get worked much more. If I want to do continues reps I just do strict standing presses.

[/quote]

I love the way “science” is written here.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes lock out hits the traps more…There is no doubt of that…I have been training PP just short of lock out, which I have never really done before. So far I think this hits shoulders a little more. Though the feel is different.

I doubt there is enough difference between near-lock-out-PP and lock-out-PP, to make a thing over it.

Glad see more PP going on.

Just don’t use this as a short cut for more weight on your MP, people…PP is it’s own thing.

When going heavy (especially if you are talking about a push press being like a cheated overhead press with some leg drive), I will lock it out all the way, if for nothing else but safety reasons. When I go lighter, I will sometimes only go halfway and bring it back down to keep constant tension or even bring back down behind the neck. But my shoulders aren’t that great so take my advice with a grain of salt.

does these kill anyone else’s lower back?

[quote]Brotha123 wrote:
does these kill anyone else’s lower back?[/quote]

Do you lean back a lot? You might find that some ab work helps.

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
Brotha123 wrote:

Do you lean back a lot? You might find that some ab work helps.[/quote]

Leaning back ‘alot’ changes this from PP, to frankenstein RP (‘Russian Press’) with leg drive.

If I am correct Rob, here is saying that you lean back after the leg drive, to help get the weight over head…This is not a PP, the leg drive should be enough.

There is a rhythm, feel the transfer of force from, leg/lower back, feel the transfer of energy flow from bottom ( lower body ) to top ( upper body ).

PP, is really two movements, a Push ( lower body ) then a Press ( upper body ).

These should flow together.

Maintain a straight back, from the little squat start position, to the lock out.

[quote]Antares wrote:
The other Rob wrote:
Brotha123 wrote:

Do you lean back a lot? You might find that some ab work helps.

Leaning back ‘alot’ changes this from PP, to frankenstein RP (‘Russian Press’) with leg drive.

If I am correct Rob, here is saying that you lean back after the leg drive, to help get the weight over head…This is not a PP, the leg drive should be enough.

There is a rhythm, feel the transfer of force from, leg/lower back, feel the transfer of energy flow from bottom ( lower body ) to top ( upper body ).

PP, is really two movements, a Push ( lower body ) then a Press ( upper body ).

These should flow together.

Maintain a straight back, from the little squat start position, to the lock out.

[/quote]

I’m just guessing at his problem. I agree that layback is not something you want in a push press. I think the rhythm is the hardest thing to “get” in a push press, I can definitely stand to improve my technique.

[quote]Brotha123 wrote:
does these kill anyone else’s lower back?[/quote]

There is a trick to big numbers in the PP and military press, but you gotta be “hardcore” to do it. let me explain the move;
When you are in the 1/4 squat position with the barbell cleaned at shoulder level, keep your abs “braced” very hard, WHILE also holding AIR in your gut, the only air you’ll breathe in is the small sips of breathe in this 1/4 squat position, (these methods alone will save your lower back at this phase).

It is not really possible to squeeze your glutes closed during the first phase of the move but as you thrust upward, squeeze your buttocks closed while the bar reaches near lockout and continue to hold until lockout, now you take another small breath while standing there in the most ALPHA position there is; (holding some poundage over your head)
so basically stay tight in the abs and glutes all the way through, keep air in your gut for a big percentage of the movement, take quick “streamed” breathes at beginning of move and lockout, and yes, some assistance ab and lower back work may also be needed in your program.