Push Press

hey ct,

I have few questions about the push press if you’d be so kind to lend me some advice.

1. the rack position for the push press- is it different from a front squat rack with the elbows parallel to the floor or is it more the elbows are lower so that the wrist and elbow are in line with barbell. If the latter, does most of the barbell rest on the wrists and elbow or on the collarbone? or should the shoulders be more where the weight rest (like in a front squat form)

2. I have no problems getting my working weight up but lowering the weight down to absorb it is awkward without figuring out problem number 1. is there a particular method for absorbing weight coming down? without being misaligned for the next rep?

any advice would be much appreciated … thanks!

[quote]concepthenry wrote:
hey ct,

I have few questions about the push press if you’d be so kind to lend me some advice.

1. the rack position for the push press- is it different from a front squat rack with the elbows parallel to the floor or is it more the elbows are lower so that the wrist and elbow are in line with barbell. If the latter, does most of the barbell rest on the wrists and elbow or on the collarbone? or should the shoulders be more where the weight rest (like in a front squat form)

2. I have no problems getting my working weight up but lowering the weight down to absorb it is awkward without figuring out problem number 1. is there a particular method for absorbing weight coming down? without being misaligned for the next rep?

any advice would be much appreciated … thanks![/quote]

1. Elbows are lower than in a front squat, but the bar needs to be against the throat and resting on the deltoids.

2. It just requires practice. Normally you lower under control until the bar reaches the forehead and then you drop it to the shoulders and catch it like you would a power clean (bar against throat, on deltoids, elbows higher, absorb by bending the knees into a quarter squat).

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]concepthenry wrote:
hey ct,

any advice would be much appreciated … thanks![/quote]

1. Elbows are lower than in a front squat, but the bar needs to be against the throat and resting on the deltoids.

2. It just requires practice. Normally you lower under control until the bar reaches the forehead and then you drop it to the shoulders and catch it like you would a power clean (bar against throat, on deltoids, elbows higher, absorb by bending the knees into a quarter squat).[/quote]

1)gotcha … so in a lower elbow front squat rack position how much weight should be supported by the shoulder in relation to the wrist? my normal front squat rack with the elbows high has 95% of the weight on my shoulder shelf.

1a) I’ve seen push press that basically have them handless in the rack position which I guess indicates no weight on the hands before explosion… right?

heyyyy this thread caught my eye and i would like to ask a question instead of making a whole new thread as my question is linked directly to your answer here

i could rack a barbell on my front delts quite comfortably with my wrists bent back when i was skinnier. but after gaining 20lbs on my upper body my biceps got a bit too big to comfortably rack on my front delts with my wrists in a good position. i can rack it on my delts but if i try to push press it, because my wrists are in such a bent back position i put too much stress on my wrists. the most comfortable way to push press is to pull the bar down on my upper chest and push press it from there.

i cant do it that way forever right? what do i have to fix to have a good rack position without discomfort?

[quote]mbag012 wrote:
heyyyy this thread caught my eye and i would like to ask a question instead of making a whole new thread as my question is linked directly to your answer here

i could rack a barbell on my front delts quite comfortably with my wrists bent back when i was skinnier. but after gaining 20lbs on my upper body my biceps got a bit too big to comfortably rack on my front delts with my wrists in a good position. i can rack it on my delts but if i try to push press it, because my wrists are in such a bent back position i put too much stress on my wrists. the most comfortable way to push press is to pull the bar down on my upper chest and push press it from there.

i cant do it that way forever right? what do i have to fix to have a good rack position without discomfort?[/quote]

Dude, I’ve trained guys who no doubt have biceps that are much larger than yours and still can rack a bar properly in the clean. I myself have fairly decent biceps, and a short arm, which is the worst possible combo to rack the bar properly. From experience, it is not the size of your biceps that’s the problem but a combination of grip width and lack of shoulder external rotation mobility.

Take a slightly wider grip and externally rotate the shoulders (bringing the elbows up and IN) in the rack position.

Hey CT I was wondering if it was normal to have sore rear delts after a power clean & push press session or am I doing something wrong?

@ CT: When you include push press in any system of training, what is your take on this variation?

Thanks a lot!

[quote]Calvarez wrote:
@ CT: When you include push press in any system of training, what is your take on this variation?

Thanks a lot![/quote]

I don’t like it if you don’t have jerk boxes (the big wooden blocks)… the big issue is lowering the bar back down to the shoulders after each rep.

I personally like it, but I use jerk boxes and drop the bar on the box then put it back on my shoulders on every rep.

High level olympic lifters like Donny Shankle (who has clean and jerked 220kg if my memory serves me right) are both very precise lifting a barbell and very efficient at absorbing a falling barbell. The average lifter who drop down the bar on his back after each rep, like he is doing in the video, will most likely get stapled to the floor or hurt his neck.