T Nation

Push Press with Layer System

Hi CT,

I saw in another forum post that you had just begun doing push press again. How do you go about push pressing with the layer system as I was recently looking at trying the new system but didn’t want to give up my push press?

Many thanks

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

I saw in another forum post that you had just begun doing push press again. How do you go about push pressing with the layer system as I was recently looking at trying the new system but didn’t want to give up my push press?

Many thanks[/quote]

Not CT obviously! :slight_smile:

To keep my favourite overhead press (Behind The Neck Push Press), I added in several sets as assistance after one of my Bench days.

I’m fairly sure he’s against regular folke doing the Push Press as a layer because of timing and fatigue etc.

I tried a Clean Push Press layer day, absolutely killed me.

I do the push press like this:

1. Ramp to 1RM (starting at about 60%)
  2. 2 sets of 3-5 reps with 85% of 1RM
  3. Ramp to 2RM (starting at anout 80% of 1RM)
  4. 2 sets of 3-5 reps with 85% of 2RM
  5. Ramp to 3RM (starting at about 80% of 1RM)
  6. 1 set of 3-5 reps with 85% of yur 3RM

Thanks CT

My next question then is: Is it possible/feasible to do the layer system without Plazma. I am a apprentice living on my own so i am on a extremely tight budget. I have made cuts everywhere possible in an effort to get Plazma or Snaconda but it just isent possible at the moment so im having to settle for double dosing of Surge Recovery before and after my workout to atleast try and get some nutrient loading in before my workout.

Thanks again

CT, could one use your push press routine on the regular standing overhead press?

[quote]germanicus wrote:
CT, could one use your push press routine on the regular standing overhead press?[/quote]

Yes, but I would prefer to use clusters with 90% of the preceding RM instead of straight sets of 3-5

Ct, makes sense.

[quote]germanicus wrote:
CT, makes sense–two or three sets of clusters?[/quote]

Two, same set-up as for the push press

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]germanicus wrote:

Two, same set-up as for the push press[/quote]

Could I do that for the BTN Push Press??

[quote]Sawinwright wrote:

[quote]germanicus wrote:

Could I do that for the BTN Push Press??[/quote]

Any form of overhead work really, push press BTN push press, split jerk, push jerk, BTN split jerk, BTN push jerk, etc.

[quote]germanicus wrote:

Could I do that for the BTN Push Press??[/quote]

Any form of overhead work really, push press BTN push press, split jerk, push jerk, BTN split jerk, BTN push jerk, etc.

3. Ramp to 2RM (starting at about 80% of 1RM)
  6. 1 set of 3-5 reps with 85% of your 3RM[/quote]
    Looks good. Perfect timing as I’ve done a couple of months now with incline & decline bench press so will replace the incline bench with these.

Do you do the push press with the deadsquat bar?

How would you do a layer if you did standing military from the pins and then push press starting at your standing military weight you ramped to?

3. Ramp to 2RM (starting at anout 80% of 1RM)
  6. 1 set of 3-5 reps with 85% of yur 3RM[/quote]

Slightly odd, but for my ramp to my 3RM, the starting weight was higher than the 2x3-5x85% of 2RM. Is that wrong ?

Edit - Don’t worry I think i’m being retarded!

[quote]sput79 wrote:
How would you do a layer if you did standing military from the pins and then push press starting at your standing military weight you ramped to? [/quote]

1. Ramp to military press 1RM
  2. Military press 2 Cluster sets with 90% of 1RM
  3. Ramp to push press 1RM (from the weight you just did clusters with)
  4. Push press 2 sets of 3-5 reps with 85% of your push press max ramp
  5. Push press ramp to 3RM starting with 70-75% of your 1RM ramp in the push press
  6. Push press 1 set of 3-5 reps with 85% of your 3RM

[quote]sput79 wrote:
How would you do a layer if you did standing military from the pins and then push press starting at your standing military weight you ramped to? [/quote]

5. Push press ramp to 3RM starting with 70-75% of your 1RM ramp in the push press
  6. Push press 1 set of 3-5 reps with 85% of your 3RM[/quote]

CT in the original sequence we wrote, are we supposed to start the 3RM ramp at 70-75 or 80%? You said above to start both the 2RM and 3RM at 80%? Not sure if it was a typo?

[quote]sput79 wrote:

6. Push press 1 set of 3-5 reps with 85% of your 3RM[/quote]

CT in the original sequence we wrote, are we supposed to start the 3RM ramp at 70-75 or 80%? You said above to start both the 2RM and 3RM at 80%? Not sure if it was a typo?[/quote]

No, the push press is different in dynamic structure than a military press, I like to ramp up more slowly in that particular case.

Hi CT,

I know that on dead squat and high pull days you allow an extra assistance lift to be completed for 4-6 straight sets. Would you ever consider using a second exercise on pressing days in the same fashion or would that be un-neccessary and detrimental to recovery?

Many Thanks

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

I know that on dead squat and high pull days you allow an extra assistance lift to be completed for 4-6 straight sets. Would you ever consider using a second exercise on pressing days in the same fashion or would that be un-neccessary and detrimental to recovery?

Many Thanks[/quote]

It’s fine as long as it’s no more than 3-6 total sets of 4-6 or 6-8 reps.

Really, you can do whatever you want after the layer sessions as long as (1) you stay within those parameters (2) listen to your body and do not do extra work if you are starting to be more neurally fatigued.

At first I didn’t use any assistance work, or recommended any, because I wanted to learn exactly how effective the layer approach was by itself.

Lastly,

The sets bewteen max ramps, i assume they are straight sets? You prescribe 3-5 reps, do you stop when the reps stop being explosive?

Thanks