Push Press vs. Military Press

What would you call this? Push_Press 2x141.5 - YouTube

Not sure if im in any right to respond, but David I think you should keep your feet equidistant and squared like a squat position.

Coach, do you have any comments on the negative portion of the push press? Slow? Controlled but normal pace? or just a Drop.

Thanks

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]BiP wrote:
Is there any way you can tell whether you are using too much leg drive during a push press? While doing it earlier today I was much more explosive than last week (or at least that’s how I felt) and ended up almost doing a “mini jump” with each rep - just enough for my feet to make a bit of noise, but not enough to actually lose all contact with the ground. Is that an indication of using too much leg drive?

B.[/quote]

The heels should not leave the ground. Basically if you were to ONLY do the initial leg drive, the bar would barely reach the eyes.[/quote]
Thib, I was under the impression that the heels actually should slightly leave the ground naturally, from the explosion of the hips. My coach always said that.

Here is how I do my push presses, btw:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
CT for someone (me) who wants to improve their front delt - upper chest tie in, would the push press be inferior to the seated version in MY case?

i ‘think’ i remember you saying bottom portion of the movement heavily involved the clavicular part of the chest but i may be wrong…

thanks[/quote]

or any one else who wouldnt mind chiming in… :slight_smile:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]BiP wrote:
Is there any way you can tell whether you are using too much leg drive during a push press? While doing it earlier today I was much more explosive than last week (or at least that’s how I felt) and ended up almost doing a “mini jump” with each rep - just enough for my feet to make a bit of noise, but not enough to actually lose all contact with the ground. Is that an indication of using too much leg drive?

B.[/quote]

The heels should not leave the ground. Basically if you were to ONLY do the initial leg drive, the bar would barely reach the eyes.[/quote]
Thib, I was under the impression that the heels actually should slightly leave the ground naturally, from the explosion of the hips. My coach always said that.

Here is how I do my push presses, btw:

thats the way i do them as well.

hmmm… when i did these, i considered them a “jerk” cuz i did not finish the lift with my tri’s and shoulders, i did a slight rebend and a catch at the end. but reading this thread i wonder if they were more of push press.[video]1249[/video]

I’d still consider that a jerk, a very small one since the dip (the second one) is quite small and you don’t get under it that much.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
hmmm… when i did these, i considered them a “jerk” cuz i did not finish the lift with my tri’s and shoulders, i did a slight rebend and a catch at the end. but reading this thread i wonder if they were more of push press.[video]1249[/video][/quote]

I consider it pretty fucking heroic.