T Nation

Push Press Rack Position

What is the correct rack position for a push press? I’ve seen people use the following three positions.

1 The bar on the deltoids with the elbows high and your fingers on the bar like a front squat.
2 The bar in the palms with the elbows down like a strict press.
3 An in between position with the bar on the shoulders and in the hands with the elbows at a 45 degree angle.

The first one makes it easiest to drive with my legs, the second makes it easier to press with my shoulders, and my wrists aren’t flexible enough for the third position. Which one should I be using?

1 sounds like a jerk position, which would make sense that it is easy to drive with your legs. I use the same positioning as I would for a military press, I just use some leg drive when I do it. I guess it kind of just comes down to personal preference and what you feel works best for you.

I use method 2 myself, but hadn’t considered the other techniques. Don’t think I will either.

I use the second option, also. Elbows directly under the bar, but make sure the weight is not being supported by your hands so you can best utilize leg drive. I see a lot of people making the mistake of push pressing with the bar floating an inch above the collar bone/ delts…

(off topic: To the OP, nice screen name!)

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. It looks like I’ll be sticking with #2.