Push Press Lowering

Any tips on lowering the barbell after a push press?

The gym I uses does not have bumper plates and I am now at the point where lowering is becoming quite difficult.

Thanks.

Please excuse me if I’m just pointing out the obvious… but anyway…

To absorb the force when you catch the bar, do you dip down at the same time? If you get the timing right, you can absorb a lot of force this way.

I’d be surprised if you couldn’t lower a push press without dropping it. Jerks, sure, the weight may be too much… but push press should be OK.

Other options are to do reps(assuming your doing singles now), or rack the weight while it’s still overhead (inside a power rack of course).

Cheers

Do you mean power clean?

I think maybe he is doing Clean & Jerk.

Lower the weight to your chest, then rotate forward to unlock the elbows and let the weight fall. Let it bang against your thighs, and that should slow down the descent enough to feel comfortable.

Either that or get a spotter.

RIT Jared

Actually guys, I did mean a push press.

Personally, I have never had any training on how to do a jerk, so my weight is quite low and much more managable.

I do hanging cleans regularly and use RIT Jared’s advice.

My main problem in the lowering portion of the push press is from overhead to chest level. I guess my timing must be off or I am not dipping properly under the bar.

From overhead to chest level? Could it be a balance issue with a lack of core strength surrounding the ab and lower back area? What is the problem exactly, losing balance? Sorry if you’ve already pointed this out but I dont see exactly what your doing to make it so bad.

Yeah I am confused as to what the problem is too. Do you just lack the flexibility to bring the bar down to your chest?

RIT Jared

[quote]RABIDRHINO wrote:
Actually guys, I did mean a push press.

Personally, I have never had any training on how to do a jerk, so my weight is quite low and much more managable.

I do hanging cleans regularly and use RIT Jared’s advice.

My main problem in the lowering portion of the push press is from overhead to chest level. I guess my timing must be off or I am not dipping properly under the bar.[/quote]

I think ya just need to get the hang of timing the dip right… basically you need to do the push press in reverse :slight_smile:

As soon as you catch the bar at chest level, you starting dipping down and absorbing the weight with your legs, so you only end up dipping about the same as you did to get the weight up in the first place.

I think you hit it mcham.

Right now the weight has been too heavy for me to lower slowly resulting it hitting my chest without me dipping adequately. I tried to time my dip better on the way down this evening and I think I just have had a timing problem.