Push Press Causes Wrist Pain

i am taking a break from olympic lifting and doing medium rep push presses but it starts to really hurt my wrists at about four reps. i think the pain will only get worse as i add more weight. i must be doing someting wrong

Having relatively skinny wrists, I am prone to wrist pain. I found a very simple way to help the problem – assuming your wrist is otherwise healthy and not injured…

Try squeezing the bar as hard as you can with your hands while performing your reps.

I have found this to be a very effective fix for those nagging wrist issues. Using this “death-grip” seems to naturally support the wrists by really activating hand/forearm muscles.

Can you do a front squat without pain? Is wrist flexibility a problem? I’d assume “no” since you’re experienced with Oly lifts but I know some days I can do front squats and some days my wrist is in a whole lot of hurt.

Do you hold the bar in your palm or fingers?

i have never tried front squating. since i am rather a fan of back squating and it never felt quite right. i would have to practice it with lower weight.
I assume as the bar rolled back toward my body it would make its way to my fingers.

wrap your wrist for now as you go up in weight on the push press. Work on building flexibility and strength and you will be fine.

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i am taking a break from olympic lifting…[/quote]

These two statements don’t jive. What kind of “Olympic lifting” were you doing that didn’t include front squats? And how long were you doing the Oly-lifting?

Regarding the wrist pain, I’d double check your form, since you specifically notice it after several reps (when fatigue may begin to set in). Make sure you keep your knuckles pointed up, not back towards your face.

How long have you been oly lifting and what lifts specifically have you been doing?

What is your form like on the push press? Where are your elbows…chest high or pointing to the ground? Hands outside of shoulders?

From my own experience I stopped doing any exercise that causes pain. Any small pain you feel now will only get worse it you keep doing it. Try to find some way to do it with no pain or stop doing the exercise all together. It is not worth it to damage your wrists and not be able to do any upper body exercises. One thing you might try is taping your wrists for support.

For the life of me I can’t get my wrists to stay completely straight doing heavy push presses, so I just wrap them. Not really a big deal.

i have never exclusively focused on olympic lifting. but i thought since i have not been getting results with anymore with my strength focused program that i will do a more bodybuilding, high intensity approach.

i do not do front squats because i love back squat so much.
i found that when lifting weight over my head i need a narrow grip. when i clean and jerk, after i clean i find that i adjust my grip to be narrower. aside from that my form is normal i’d say. except i may use a wider stance sometimes. i am not really concered about form. to me i use whatever form allows me to get the weight up. i am not trying to target a muscle

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i have never exclusively focused on olympic lifting. but i thought since i have not been getting results with anymore with my strength focused program that i will do a more bodybuilding, high intensity approach.
i do not do front squats because i love back squat so much.
i found that when lifting weight over my head i need a narrow grip. when i clean and jerk, after i clean i find that i adjust my grip to be narrower. aside from that my form is normal i’d say. except i may use a wider stance sometimes. i am not really concered about form. to me i use whatever form allows me to get the weight up. i am not trying to target a muscle[/quote]

But you cant oly lift and not front squat?? that just cant happen unless every move is the pure power variety, power clean, power snatch etc>

anyway you got great advice on the GRAB THE BAR HARD!!! crush it. I would also guess you are getting the bar on your finger tips to much if you are actually racking it like an O-Lifter and them not getting you elbows under it for the press which is putting the wrist in a compromised position. Many weight lifters do but if you see the Best in the world they get those elbows Down after the clean. and a full grip on the bar.

get a set of wraps for your wrist, even the simple harbinger ones at Dicks or sports authority many of the Olifters here at Team AZ use them including Charles. It will help a ton.

take a short break let he pain subside then try the hints and tips youve been given

Hope that helps
Phil

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i am not really concered about form. to me i use whatever form allows me to get the weight up.[/quote]

Well excuse me, sir, but I think I just solved the case.

As I said before, if you actually paid attention and focused on keeping your wrists upright and not cocked back, your wrists probably wouldn’t hurt (unless you’ve already caused damage to them).

But you may need to temporarily reduce the weight you’re using.
[/ego-shattering advice]

can anyone help me out
whenever i do barbell ez or dumbbell curls
the outside part of my forearm hurts really bad its like a sharp pain and it hurts even more when iv finished the set but then goes away soon after
any help to resolve this would be appreciated
thanks

[quote]adh wrote:
can anyone help me out
the outside part of my forearm hurts really bad its like a sharp pain and it hurts even more when iv finished the set but then goes away soon after
thanks
[/quote]

Sounds like tendon pain. Just time will fix that and not over doing the isolation moves.

A few others things that can help is really CRUSH the bar when your doing them and keep the wrists locked. Work your finger extensors with a rubber band. Try slow eccentrics. NSAIDS. Ice and rest.

cheers,
Phil

[quote]adh wrote:
can anyone help me out
thanks
[/quote]

I have always had similar pain when doing straight-grip barbell curls. Actually, using the inner EZ bar grip causes me no problems.

Needless to say, you may just have to find exercises/grips/angles that do not cause you pain. After many years of lifting, I STILL can’t do barbell curls pain-free…

[quote]Ntroych wrote:

I have always had similar pain when doing straight-grip barbell curls. Actually, using the inner EZ bar grip causes me no problems.

Needless to say, you may just have to find exercises/grips/angles that do not cause you pain. After many years of lifting, I STILL can’t do barbell curls pain-free…[/quote]

Good post and very true. I’m the same way with BB curls and even chin ups or anything in a supinated grip. I have to limit my exposure to them even more so since blowing the biceps tendon and having limited supination on that hand.

Take home message if something hurt you DONT do it. If it really causes pain , not strain. Progress slowly if its an important move and limit he exposure when needed and adapt. If you hurt that means you need to recover and heal more prior to doing more, adding more stimulus.

Hurt sucks
Phil

im on holiday next week so hopefully that will be enough time to recover so i can get straight back to lifting when i get back and hopefully there will be no problems
thanks for the advise

I also get wrist pains from push press also. No idea of he was correct or not, but a guy I train with told me it was because I wasnâ??t getting the bar over my heals when I pushed up so I was inadvertently bending at the wrists to get the bar further back and over my heals.

Hey OP, I used to have some wrist pain when doing push presses from the front.It turned out that what I was doing was going from a full clean grip rack position to limp wristedly pressing the bar without locking my wrists.Now if Im doing clean and presses im sure to change from rack position after I clean to set my wrists straight and as someone else mentioned grip the fuck out of the bar. it will help keep your wrists more in line with your arms.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Make sure you keep your knuckles pointed up, not back towards your face.[/quote]

I think this and squeezing the bar will probably fix your problem.

If you cant stop your wrists from cocking backwards, try holding the bar more in the heal of your hand rather than in the fingers. I actually us a thumbless grip for overhead pressing so the bar sits right in th heal of my hand above the wrist.